No more a-la-cart?

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I have a Starmate 5 and Stratus 6 that are both a-la-cart compatible. While I don't currently have an a-la-cart package for either & just a standard $12.95 SIRIUS package, I noticed that a-la-cart is no longer an option for either within my account if I try to "renew" either. In the past, it was & I could sort of go through the motions and pick all the channels I wanted. Not anymore though.

I looked into it for two other family members who have either a stratus 6 or Starmate 5 as well and same thing; a-la-cart is no longer an option for them via their online account manager. Did SIRIUS totally get rid of these packages?

While I realize they weren't really worth it to begin with anyway and probably more pandering & a move to try and please the FCC for the merger from 4 yrs ago, I was just curious what happen to them.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
For my Stratus 6, I see:

Sirius Premier (old BOXM)
Sirius Select
Sirius Premier Family Friendly
Sirius Select Family Friendly

I think most people could tell that the ala-carte stuff was a joke, and I think you're right. The only reason they did it was to appease the FCC. If you wanted Howard or sports, you could get $1 off the price of Sirius Select. If you wanted both of those with ala-carte, it was the same price as Sirius Select.

It only made sense for people who wanted to pass on both Howard and sports content. I'd imagine that was a very small part of their subscriber base.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My guess is they are phasing it out. You can probably always get it by calling CS (thus satisfying the FCC) but they aren't going to make it easy for you.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Yeah I'd seriously only imagine this was used by sirius CSR'S When adjusting accounts when there was a billing issue or if they offered some deal on it to a sub that was planning on canceling. Otherwise I'd say maybe 10 people chose this package on their own and its probably because they didn't know any better and though it was a deal.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
Yea, I was actually gonna consider it about a year ago for another radio (Stratus 6). The location it was at didn't require ANY of the news, talk and/or sports programming. Stictly music so it might of been good since it would of been $6.99/month for up to 50 channels of strictly music. However, things changed & the person who had this radio wound up moving so they didn't need it any longer.

They previously had a Starmate 1 that had the $9.99 "music only" package & that satisfied them. However, the radio died on them so they then got a Stratus 6, but weren't there long enough to be able to get this $6.99 a-la-cart option. Oh well.

Overall, I thought a-la-cart was a down right complete joke & wouldn't get it personally. I listen to Stern and the a-la-cart options for Stern were down right laughable. If I had done it for this other "music only" radio, I probably would of been one of the 10 in the country who got a-la-cart and on a certain level was actually sort of curious, but it didn't happen. Oh well.

Last edited: