Online only prices!

rpokane

Oct 27, 2008
I just cancelled my SkyDock because I traded my iPhone for an Android phone. I've been with XM since 2003 (first receiver was the SkyFi) and wanted to continue to have access to the service.
But for the same sub rate as a regular receiver?! You're not using the birds!
Talk about subsidizing...wow.
Just venting my shock. I expected maybe 4.99 a month.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Yeah...the discounted streaming rate is only as an add-on to an existing "regular" subscription.

If you are a streaming only customer, you don't receive a discount to the regular satellite receiver rate.

Just the way it is.

rpokane

Oct 27, 2008
Hard to compete against other online music services with rates like that. Gotta wonder if this company has a mindset that is stuck back when they originally launched.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hard to compete against other online music services with rates like that. Gotta wonder if this company has a mindset that is stuck back when they originally launched.

I think you will see this change over time, especially when they roll out Sirius XM 2.0. I expect have no inside info to indicate this, but I expect we will see a greatly expanded station line up via the online streaming service, plus other cool features. Will the price be adjusted, I would think so, but if they add enough features and stations, then I think the $12.95 can be supported. Right now as it is. No way!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think the thinking of SXM is that their content is worth $12.95 and they will charge you once for this regardless how you get it. They probably think they are already giving you a discount since they are not charging you an addition $3 for the premium internet.

rpokane

Oct 27, 2008
You're probably right.
But, a more proper (IMHO) pricing scheme would be half price for online only.
Less overhead.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think the thinking of SXM is that their content is worth $12.95 and they will charge you once for this regardless how you get it. They probably think they are already giving you a discount since they are not charging you an addition $3 for the premium internet.

Exactly.

Sirius thinking is that "For no additional monthly fee, you can buy a radio and get all the channels..."

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I held off for the longest time before I finally added the online sub to my XM sub. I like the SIRIUS XM app but I would not pay a full radio price for it, especially since I can only use the app where I have wifi access.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
How come when I try to add online to my current sub, online, it wants 8.99 a month?? Like it's a family plan radio???