Onyx Plus

Discussion in 'XM Plug and Plays' started by MM, Oct 14, 2013.

1. MM

MM Administrator

I just picked up one of these at Best Buy this weekend. I have yet to open it though.

I am deciding if I should give up my old SL2 and Sirius and have XM.

Anyone in New England have any thoughts on XM reception?
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

XM is line of sight to southern sky. Unlike Sirius once you have it, you have it. It doesn't change.

From the sats the XM sound has less bass and can sound different or tinny if you are not used to it. But Sirius has no high end while XM is fuller there. Personally I find both acceptable.

The path away from the SL2 is inevitable. It's just a matter of when.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk - now Free
  3. MM

MM Administrator

I'm sure I would notice it a little bit.

It's just tough to make that call.
  4. IdRatherBeSkiing

I know how you feel.
  5. MM

MM Administrator

My SL2 and I have been together forever. I've had Sirius since 2004....

I should just do it already.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk
  6. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I say that about the MyFi but I always keep it. :agree:
  7. voliconjoe

voliconjoe Well-Known Member

I'm in the boston area and can tell you XM signal blows compared to Sirius when it comes to driving through wooded areas.
  8. IdRatherBeSkiing

This is true anywhere. XM does not like the woods. Although in a year or 2 Sirius will also have the same signal pattern so it matters not.
  9. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I picked one of these up to test it and get to know it before we can sell them (which may be as late as December or January) and it's my favorite Plug and Play Radio ever.

The Tune Start feature as well as the 50 min buffer on 10 presets is fantastic.

Especially if I was in the car for long periods or was a trucker it would be perfect. Because once you build up the 50 min buffer you have the ability to catch up on your shows. Let's say you listen to a show that ends at 3pm, and there is another show you like that starts at 2pm. You can listen to the first show all the way through to 3pm. Change over to the other preset and start the other show only about 5-10 mins in.

Plus the album art is great and thankfully the Replay feature can skip through commercials in a better way than the Xpress RCi fast forward did it. Where you would just fast forward all the way to the present.
  10. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

Can you record on it?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  11. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

No, I mean it's just a buffer. Just like the Replay feature.
  12. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

Wonder why? It seems like a good radio, but no record feature? Maybe they just forgot :idunno:
  13. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I would never expect them to put that in on a Dock and Play only radio. That kind of stuff was mostly reserved for the Portables and on a price of $200 plus. And this is $100.
  14. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

That is why I have held on to the MyFi all these years.
  15. MM

MM Administrator

Are you happy with XM though?

The onyx is still in the box.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
  16. MM

MM Administrator

Great, so now I'll have to retire the SL2? :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
  17. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Most Canadians have a tougher time with XM Signal than Sirius. But in the States Northern New England is really rough on the XM side.

All this stuff is about tradeoffs and what you really value. Whether it's subscription price, features, or signal.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  18. drdroo

drdroo #1 by Women 18-24 Staff Member

My Lynx is tolerable but I have both Sirius and XM in my vehicle. There's several places the Lynx goes out, like when going east on I95 and passing an 18 wheeler.

We're talking 2-5 minutes of my hour commute... By comparison, Sirius is 0.

It's up to you whether that's tolerable or not. YMMV as far as how it will affect you too.
  19. MM

MM Administrator

I installed it today. It was fun installing again since it has been so long since I have.

I just added it to my account and did not cancel the SL2 yet. That bill is due in a month, which gives me time to decide.

We'll see how it goes.
  20. 23collector

23collector New Member

My Stiletto 100 finally died after more than 7 years. I'm in Canada and have been on a Sirius (U.S.) Lifetime sub since 2004 (original radio was the old JVC unit that looked like a big cellphone). When my SL100 died, I decided to give the Lynx a try on a new SiriusXM Canadian sub, as it seemed like the best radio available. I was wrong... I was very wrong.

Besides the frequent signal issues that I never had with Sirius, compared to my SL100, the sound quality of the Lynx is terrible, in my opinion. "S" sounds are distorted and "tinny" on the Lynx (and all XM based radios, from what I've heard). I thought perhaps I would get used to it, so I stuck with it. Well, it's been almost a year and I couldn't take it anymore. Since I still had my Sirius U.S. lifetime sub, I went out and bought a Sirius Sportster 6 that was on sale for $59.99 here in Canada and transferred my lifetime sub to it. I am so happy I did so. The sound and signal issues that bothered me with the Lynx are gone. I would never get another XM based radio again, unless there was no other option, or they improved their sound quality and signal coverage for south eastern Canada (Montreal). My only regret is not finding out that I could have activated a radio purchased in Canada on my U.S. sub earlier.

I'm curious to know if you you hear a difference in the sound quality, MM.