Onyx Plus

Discussion in 'XM Plug and Plays' started by MM, Oct 14, 2013.

1. geosync

geosync Well-Known Member

That's what I figured on the Lynx. Thanks for the info.
  2. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "Who turned the volume down?"

In my stretch of the woods (BC) there are areas where XM is either flakey or non exist - my ex-father-in-law had XM with nice Bose unit in his car - but cancelled after all the cutouts around our area and on the trips to Vancouver (and we are not far from the 49th) - was/is not an issue with Sirius. It will be interesting a few years down the track to see what happens.
  3. drdroo

drdroo #1 by Women 18-24 Staff Member

There's a few places here in Maine that XM's signal is equally an issue. Not eough that I'd go back to my Sirius radio, but definitely not the same signal pattern. This is the result of the satellite over Minnesota/Ontario that Sirius has and XM does not.

If SiriusXM were smart, they'd simply add a satellite to the XM network that is similar so they'd have the best of both worlds (a fixed satellite and a moving one). Unfortunately, most of the people I've talked to at SiriusXM don't believe that this problem exists and believe that between ground-based repeaters and the existing satellite network, the networks are the same.
  4. geosync

No no, they are not the same. I've been to parts of Canada with both services and to Alaska with XM only as well as Mexico with Sirius and XM. The sirius signal is very solid in both these areas of the world. XM was ok but spotty up to the southern edges of Alaska and spotty on Vancouver island if there were any trees around, which there are many. Sirius was rock solid in Mexico but so was XM. I prefer the sirius signal in the car but where I live the 10+ repeaters give me great signal walking around town. But without repeaters the XM signal tends to be very specific where the antenna needs to be. The fixed sat for Sirius did help out the home reception though.
  5. IndustrialH

IndustrialH "Who turned the volume down?"

The folks from SiriusXM should go for a long long long road trip and do some signal mapping across the continent. They could borrow a Google Maps car :)
  6. drdroo

I know this, you know this, but people in suits that make these decisions apparently do not know this. :) You don't even have to go to Canada to see a difference. A trip through the White Mountains in NH will suffice. It all has to do with angles (its around 30 degrees from horizon here for XM) and spotbeam aiming.

For XM, there's only coverage in Newfoundland because of a repeater that covers some of St John, but Sirius's signal from satellites apparently works pretty much fine there, and better than XM.

I agree that while Sirius's network/infrastructure/radios are older than XM's, the satellite configuration is the right way to go if you want to cater to all of North America. We've had customers in Belize (I believe) as well as Bermuda contact us that are using the Sirius service without issues. We did a blog post a while back about a container ship that gets coverage well into the pacific. The XM network doesn't touch Alaska either, as you mentioned, but Sirius does.
    HecticArt likes this.
  7. drdroo

That would involve them listening to the service, and I've questioned previously if they do. I enjoy the service and I talk with a lot of customers. What works and doesn't is a pretty well known phenomenon.

We have a lot of product and customer knowledge that I'd gift them with if there were a person to contact. Likewise, I'm sure their CSRs could be bringing in a lot of that knowledge too, but I'm not sure how much of it they log. I suspect a lot of customers complains either revolve around billing, radio failure, or signal issues. They could fix the billing one if they were a bit more 'straight' with their pricing.
    HecticArt likes this.
  8. geosync

The pricing is wacky. This whole help my friend get back into it was frustrating figuring out the best plan for him. I haven't changed my plan since the BOS came into existence so I'm a bit out of it. For its part XM did work as far as Skagway (north of Juneau) Alaska. There was even a shop that had it on and the Delphi unit was behind the counter. It got about a bar but it was working.
  9. drdroo

The best bang/buck plan-wise, aside from trying to beat on SiriusXM for the 5 months for 25 (which, why not 6 months and/or 30 bucks?), is the All Access for 199+taxes/fees. Best Of/Premier is like 4 bucks on its own, Internet Radio is about 4 bucks, and regular plan yearly would be about 175 anyway.

I think Opie and Jim is a great show, and there's some other good shows on Opie Radio as well. I do think it's kind of silly to not have any shows that SiriusXM produces the same on both platforms though without a 'best of' option.

I think the concern in Alaska isn't so much that it doesn't work at all, it's that in a vehicle it's pretty much a bust. Most people are vehicle installs, so it's easier to just say 'don't even bother'. :)
  10. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

What happened to Anthony?
  11. drdroo

You must've missed the news. Anthony was fired by SiriusXM for racist/sexist tirade on Twitter after being assaulted by a woman in Times Square that did not appreciate him taking photos that may have included her in them.

Gawker basically helped this along by creating a public spectacle. Worse, it was over a long weekend so Anthony couldn't defend himself on air.
    IdRatherBeSkiing likes this.
  12. drdroo

To be clear, I didn't feel he did anything wrong. Well, I'll say this, I didn't think he did anything worthy of being fired from SiriusXM. He let off steam, said some not-so-wise things during his off time on his personal Twitter. I didn't see him threaten anyone, and he apparently had his firearm on him and did not fight back and didn't unholster his weapon either.

I tend to side with Anthony on this one.
  13. geosync

Come on droo, he didn't pull his ankle gat so he isn't eligible for release after spewing hate speak on a not personal whatsoever social media site? That's homer talk.
  14. drdroo

The guy was assaulted and he expressed himself in an inappropriate way on a social media site. I'm not saying he shouldnt've been reprimanded, I just don't see it as a firing offense. If Anthony had been on the air to explain it the next day, even used the same words, I don't believe he would've been fired for it.

He said some bad words online, he didn't hit back, he didn't shoot anyone. People need to buck up a bit about words.
  15. geosync

Well maybe he could have smoothed it over on the air. But again, saying he didn't hit a woman! And that being the basis for an argument that he should be lauded for his self restraint is the definition of homer talk. Call the NYPD next time and watch her get tackled in the street.
  16. drdroo

If I remember the situation, she punched him in the face a few times and then some other guys who may or may not have even known her taunted him. He just wanted to go home and be done with it, not cause a situation. I actually believe Anthony is a social introvert, and he self-medicates with alcohol so he can counteract that. I couldn't tell you why I think that though.

I think he handled the altercation fine, essentially lay there and take it, (the woman never came forward, so I don't know otherwise). The issue of why he was fired purely had to do with how he handled the situation on Twitter.

However, having 3 days off from the radio didn't help his ability to keep his job. He was effectively fired by email due to a mob created by Gawker. At least, that's how I see things.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  17. drdroo

Shock jock unleashes racist Twitter rant after alleged assault | New York Post
    Radio Host Anthony Cumia From SiriusXM’s ‘Opie and Anthony’ Show Fired for Controversial Twitter Rant | TheBlaze.com

"He snapped several pictures of the woman during the alleged attack and posted them on Twitter. According to the New York Post, Cumia didn’t file a police report for the incident. He later said doing so would have been a “waste” of the officers’ time."

I agree with him, no-one to this day knows who the woman is, and what recourse is to be had? Not much.
  18. geosync

Yeah, he shoulda just ran away. The twitter rant is exactly what the guy thinks on a daily basis when he sees people of color in my mind. That language came out fast and furious on twitter. I don't think he should have been fired for what he said so I think the company was just looking for a reason.
  19. drdroo

Most of the contents of those rants, if not all of it, have been said on air and was considered acceptable by SiriusXM. If he had done all of those tweets as a monologue on the show, he would've still had a job. A bunch of people got involved that don't listen to the show and SiriusXM basically catered to them. Most of those people will never be customers.

If Anthony did something out of the norm for him, this could be a lot different. Unlike your suggestion that I'm a 'homer', I'm a very level headed and reasonable guy. I've only listened to O&A for the last few years, Howard since he came over, and I've been a SiriusXM customer since launch in 2002. SiriusXM has many double standards on things that could easily be made consistent.
  20. geosync

I understand, we like what we like. The only day I ever tuned in to that show was the day back after Cumia got canned. How anyone in their right mind can get through 4 hours of that a day is way beyond my pay grade.