Onyx Radio nice but ...

wobbler

Dec 5, 2008
While renewing my sub on my car, they enticed me on the Onyx - got car & vehicle kit for 39.99 and they waived the activation fee.

So Im stoked about the new radio and when I got it today, opened it up and lo and behold no friggin remote!!!

Called the XM CSR and complained about the lack of remote and the dude says "well some of the radios do not come with a remote - sorry about that"

My comeback - "so XM is promoting the chance of getting into a car accident while fumbling around changing radio stations?"

Dude's reply "Im sorry about your inconvenience, anything else I can help you with?"

So apparently Im reading there is a possible universal remote that could be used for my radio. Was hoping TSSRadio can provide options here for me.

Thanks for letting me vent!

wobbler

Dec 5, 2008
Definitely especially when the radio is further than what I would like to have it. Using remote would be so much easier.

Reactions: cldoobie

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I never used a remote in the car for the very reason that I always got distracted finding the stupid thing. Easier to take the 2 seconds and hit the preset button. No more distraction than the preset buttons on a normal car radio.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
While renewing my sub on my car, they enticed me on the Onyx - got car & vehicle kit for 39.99 and they waived the activation fee.

So Im stoked about the new radio and when I got it today, opened it up and lo and behold no friggin remote!!!

Called the XM CSR and complained about the lack of remote and the dude says "well some of the radios do not come with a remote - sorry about that"

My comeback - "so XM is promoting the chance of getting into a car accident while fumbling around changing radio stations?"

Dude's reply "Im sorry about your inconvenience, anything else I can help you with?"

So apparently Im reading there is a possible universal remote that could be used for my radio. Was hoping TSSRadio can provide options here for me.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Actually under the specs there is no mention of a remote that goes with this radio.

What's Included:
XM Onyx Radio
PowerConnect Vehicle Kit
Magnetic Mount Antenna
Aux In Cable
User Guide
Quick Start Guide
XM Channel Guide
XM Dock & Play Accessories Guide

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Don't you have to look at the remote? :idunno:

You can feel the basic buttons, and if you need to look at it you can pick it up above the dash so that you don't have to take your eyes very far off of the road.

I like reaching for the remote much more than reaching for the radio. As long as you have an easy spot to stash the remote when you aren't using it, it works well.

I have dropped it a few times. It's not safe trying to find it on the floor or under the seat while moving. :no:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I have dropped it a few times. It's not safe trying to find it on the floor or under the seat while moving. :no:

But I'm sure people try to pick them up...

It just seems silly and dangerous. The radio is easily within arm's reach. A remote control is for across the living room... :confused:

cldoobie

Jan 17, 2009
SW Ohio
But I'm sure people try to pick them up...

It just seems silly and dangerous. The radio is easily within arm's reach. A remote control is for across the living room... :confused:

That's a 1980s way of thinking. ;)

And my radio isn't within arms reach, I can't sit that close to the steering wheel. I have to lean up and look down at the radio to change a channel. That's a heck of a lot more dangerous than me sitting in my normal driving position with my eyes still on the road changing the channel with a remote.

If I drop it, I know you're not going to believe me but yes I tough it out caveman style until the next stop light to look for it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's a 1980s way of thinking. ;)

And my radio isn't within arms reach, I can't sit that close to the steering wheel. I have to lean up and look down at the radio to change a channel. That's a heck of a lot more dangerous than me sitting in my normal driving position with my eyes still on the road changing the channel with a remote.

If I drop it, I know you're not going to believe me but yes I tough it out caveman style until the next stop light to look for it.

After trying once or twice to pick it up, it became very easy to wait for the next stop light or parking lot. The worst music on satellite is still better than the best music in FM. I can live with it for a couple of miles. I have a few extra remotes in the house. I should put a backup in the car, but I rarely drop the remote anyway.

wobbler

Dec 5, 2008
I thought it was so stupid when car stereos came out with remotes but now I cant live without one.

Currently I have the sportster 5 in the car and I live for the remote. The onyx is being used for the home office for the time being but I would like to use it in my 2nd car next spring.