Outlaw Country

Discussion in 'Country, Christian, Gospel' started by mysticbushape, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I'm giving this a bump...I'm really enjoying Outlaw Country as of late. It began as a really stupid station playing ridiculous songs, but today I heard Los Lobos, Dylan and John Hiatt back to back to back in the morning, and Levon Helm in the afternoon. Plus, you hear a lot of the alt country that used to be the Border way back in the day...stuff from the holy trinity of Wilco, Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. I even heard a Jack White song.

There's still the occasional wasted air time filled with Hank Williams Jr. or some crap but overall it's a much improved station.
    semipenguin likes this.
  2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

If and when I ever did come back to Sirius, it'd be for stuff like this. Although it'd have a lot to live up to from the days of X-Country which was my favorite station on XM, by a lot.

And the Slacker Alt. Country station does a good job also. In the short time I listened to IT last night, I heard Ryan Adams, some old R.E.M., Chris Issak and Uncle Tupelo. Decided it was worthy of caching, and I'll give it a listen in the car on Monday.
  3. Casual Fan

If they just kept the talentless hacks like Hank Jr. on Willie's Roadhouse and made Outlaw more of an alt-country station, they'd have accomplished a lot. I think the XM influence (deeper playlists) has probably improved Outlaw Country more than anything else.
  4. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Yeah, drop the Hank Jr. types and kick Mojo off the air and you've got something.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  5. Casual Fan

This channel has multiple personalities. Mojo Nixon and the idiot music need to go.
  6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

The right time and the right place, Mojo is fun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  7. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Ya! Why all the hate for Mojo?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzWBMIq9ko]Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper - She's Vibrator Dependent - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaD5mAC3P2s]Mojo Nixon Elvis is everywhere FULL version w/ lyrics - YouTube[/ame]
  8. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

9. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

[​IMG]

Hank Williams Jr. celebrates the release of his new album "Old School, New Rules" with Mojo Nixon TODAY 5 pm ET.
  10. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

I have been digging Outlaw Country a bit too lately.

Some John Hiatt, Joe Ely (The road goes on forever), and some classic John Prine....

:bigthumbup:
  11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I'm not a country guy, but I like a few Hiatt songs. Perfectly Good Guitars kills.
  12. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

My favorites are Slow Turning, and Buffalo River Home
  13. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Anyone whose ever heard 'Thing called Love' by Bonnie Raitt probably knows John Hiatt performed the original. Both versions are very good.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  14. SIRIUSaboutXM

John Hiatt & Mojo Nixon
    Sat 5:00 pm ET
    John Hiatt faces off with Mojo Nixon for an in-depth conversation about his new album Mystic Pinball, as well as solo acoustic performances of new some of his powerful new material and a couple of old favorites, during this one-hour special recorded at the SiriusXM Music City Theatre in Nashville.

[​IMG]
    1. We're Alright Now
    2. Bite Marks
    3. It All Comes Back Someday
    4. Wood Chipper
    5. My Business
    6. I Just Don't Know What to Say
    7. I Know How to Lose You
    8. You're All the Reason I Need
    9. One of Them Damn Days
    10. No Wicked Grin
    11. Give It Up
    12. Blues Can't Even Find Me

Rebroadcast: Sun 9/23 9:00 pm ET; Tues 9/25 6:00 pm ET; Thurs 9/27 7:00 pm ET
  15. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]
    Johnny Rivers & Mojo Nixon
    Tomorrow 5:00 pm ET
    Legendary rocker Johnny River chats with Mojo Nixon and performs a few songs live in studio.

Rebroadcast: Sun 10/7 9:00 pm ET
  16. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Last replay Tonight @ 9pm

Legendary rocker Johnny Rivers gets his mojo workin' during an in-depth career overview with Mojo Nixon, including acoustic performances of some of his classic tunes.

Don't miss this- great stories about JR's history & interactions with Beatles, and many others! :bigclap:
  17. SIRIUSaboutXM

Saturday 10/20 9 am
    "Queen of Rockabilly" Wanda Jackson takes the wheel for a wild ride through Sirius XM Outlaw Country as she hosts a one-hour special showcasing her new album "Unfinished Business" produced by Justin Townes Earle.

Rebroadcast: Saturday 5 pm ET; Sunday, 10/21 noon & 9 pm ET; Tuesday, 9/23 8 pm ET; and Thursday, 9/25 11 pm ET

[​IMG]
  18. SIRIUSaboutXM

Saturday 1 pm ET
    Kathy Mattea visits with Hillbilly Jim in Mudlick, KY and spins a few tunes from her new album "Calling Me Home" on the "Moonshine Matinee" on Sirius XM Outlaw Country.
    Replay: Sunday 5 pm ET

[​IMG]
  19. SIRIUSaboutXM

[​IMG]

Longtime Lynyrd Skynyrd drummer "Wild Man" Artimus Powell gabs with Elizabeth Cook on "Apron Strings" today 12 pm ET.
  20. SIRIUSaboutXM

Reverend Billy F. Gibbons talks about the "regathering" of his late '60s garage band The Moving Sidewalks with Chris T. tonight 9 pm ET and tomorrow 11 pm ET

[​IMG]

The Moving Sidewalks was a 1960s American psychedelic blues-rock band, most notable for giving future ZZ Top guitarist, Billy Gibbons, his start in the music business. The band consisted of Gibbons on guitar, Don Summers on bass, Dan Mitchell on drums and Tom Moore on keyboards.

Gibbons founded the Texas psychedelic group in the mid-1960s and quickly drew a large following, especially in the Houston "teen scene". They recorded several singles and one full-length album, Flash. Their single "99th Floor" was a hit and topped the charts at No. 1 in Houston for six weeks. The success of this record led the Sidewalks to sign with Wand Records which then released "Need Me" which also became a Top 10 Hit. The group was asked to open for many rock tours, including Jimi Hendrix and The Doors.

After Tom Moore and Don Summers were drafted into the United States Army, Gibbons and Mitchell added Lanier Greig and formed the original ZZ Top. They recorded the first ZZ Top record, "Salt Lick", which was released on London Records.

While attending Warner Brothers' art school in Hollywood, California, Gibbons engaged with his first bands including The Saints, Billy G & the Blueflames, and The Coachmen. By 1967, Gibbons returned to Houston and went forward forming an artfully designed band, conceptually inspired by friend and fellow musician, Roky Erickson and The 13th Floor Elevators, naming the group the "Moving Sidewalks", penning the hit single, "99th Floor" and engaging a friendship with Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix went on to say on The Tonight Show that Gibbons would be the next hottest guitarist.

The Moving Sidewalks continued to appear along with the 13th Floor Elevators at the Houston, psychedelic venue, Love Street Light Circus, located on Commerce Street. The Elevators set was stopped after only a few songs by the Houston police department, who arrested the band's lead singer Roky Erickson.

In January 2013 Gibbons announced the Moving Sidewalks would reunite with all original members for one shot on March 30, 2013 at B.B. King's Blues Club in New York City.

[​IMG]