scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I'm calling boolshit on this

Rare 'James Bond' Rolex up for auction
1565798699454.png

It's not the watch that Connery wore.

"The stainless steel collector's item is believed to have been produced in 1958. Four years later, Connery would wear a version of the timepiece -- a Rolex Submariner 6538 -- during his first outing as the British spy, earning it the nickname the "James Bond Submariner." The item is "free from significant marks and scratches," according to the sale catalog."

Really? Because I see significant marks and scratches. But I'm sure it'll get what they're asking for it. People are stoopid.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just fixed a wind-up watch that I bought off of a street vendor in St Petersburg Russia back in 1995.

It quit working about 5 years ago. Since it's a winder, I never popped the back off of it. I did that this weekend. I gave the flywheel a nudge and a gentle shot of compressed air and it took off running.

So cool! It's almost a sweep second hand, and will run for 2 or 3 days on a single wind.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I just fixed a wind-up watch that I bought off of a street vendor in St Petersburg Russia back in 1995.

It quit working about 5 years ago. Since it's a winder, I never popped the back off of it. I did that this weekend. I gave the flywheel a nudge and a gentle shot of compressed air and it took off running.

So cool! It's almost a sweep second hand, and will run for 2 or 3 days on a single wind.
That's neat. A 2 to 3 day movement is impressive, anything that can do that has to be specially designed.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's neat. A 2 to 3 day movement is impressive, anything that can do that has to be specially designed.
For $15 bucks, I'm impressed. I was hoping that it would last a year before it fell apart. It lasted close to 20 before it stopped.If I would have opened it up back then, I'm guessing that it would have kept going.
When I opened it, it said that it's supposed to be a 7 (or 17) jewel movement. I'm not sure if that's got much to do with the sweep(ish) second hand or not.