Pardon me, but do you have the time?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I may get a nicer watch repair kit.
That is cool looking, especially in the profile pic.

The normal watch tool looks like a tool, it has prongs that stick into the screwdown slots to open it. The way cooler one, albeit less effective, is the one that is a ball that somehow grips the back to open it. I like that thing.

I have no tools eiter, I've thought about getting a kit too. They are pretty cheap on Amazon.

1584239687132.png

1584239781148.png

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I bought this watch back in 2015. I think I had posted about it, but didn't see anything when I skimmed the thread.

It's 46mm, is crazy slim on the wrist, and looks like it floats above the strap.
I think I paid about $425 or so when I had it shipped from Denmark.
It was designed be famous Danish architect Arne Jacobsen.
You'll see his furniture in a bunch of movies. (Austin Powers, MIB, Zoolander, etc.)

Anyway, after 5 years, it was the first time I needed to change the battery.
It's got a screw back and I tried to open it with the watch back tools that I have, but I couldn't get the thing apart. I actually loosened the face on accident.
I had to take it to a jewelry store to have them fix it.

It wound up costing me $50. Hopefully the back comes off easier next time the battery needs to be changed. I may get a nicer watch repair kit.
That's a cool watch. Very architect-like.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I had gotten this kit from Amazon.

I had one watch that I had a tough time getting the back back on, so I got one of these.

I need a better back wrench, and a better way to hold hold the case so it doesn't rotate. All of the case opener/holders are for cases that have strap lugs (or whatever they are called) to keep the cases from twisting. Mine doesn't have those since it's round. It does have two spots in the case that look like they are for pins for some sort of tool used to grip it, but so far I haven't spotted a tool that will do that. Hopefully I remember to keep shopping for one before it's time to change the battery again.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
That second tool you posted is a crystal tool only. In my watch world you need at least a screw down caseback, screw in is the only way if you want a true diver's.

But that's all different with my Garmin. It's not quite a smartwatch (I can't write on it or record on it which make it suitable for me to wear at work) but nonetheless it's the closest thing I have to one. I can read my texts on it. It has some sort of weird plastic caseback that reads my pulse with fancy lights along with all the casio ABC features and GPS.

We live in the future.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's a watch back press.

There's no danger of me becoming a diver, so I don't have to worry about my watches meeting that criteria. If I find myself under water that I can't stand up in, I'll have much bigger problems than what happens to my watch.

Snap backs are usually easier to change batteries, and screw backs are great, but this one threw me for a loop. I'm hoping that when the jeweler took it apart, he freed it up and it will be easier the next time.

Spending a few more bucks to supplement a $20 kit is a no-brainer. It'll pay for itself after a couple of battery changes.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
One of these days.
That one isn't available in an automatic.
I've got a couple of winders that don't need batteries.
When I had just one auto watch, I used a winder. But eventually, it doesn't matter. If you wear the watch on consecutive days, it's still set. But if you pick up a different one, you just set it and go. In the old days, we relied on a watch to be a time reference, but now that's your cell phone.

I do understand that you might like a watch that is quartz, and there's nothing you can do about that. About half my watches are quartz, so every 2 years or so, one of them will need a battery. But I have summer watches and winter watches, so I don't need to replace all my batteries at one time (assuming they stopped at the same time).

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
By winders, I meant watches I have to manually wind. Not the cool boxes for automatic watches.

I've got 20 or so watches and probably wear 14 or 15 regularly. It just depends on what catches my eye for the day.

There was a while when I found that i was changing batteries on several watches all at the same time. Different watches, usually less than a year apart. I started to wonder if watches that were touching each other metal to metal were draining each other. (Minds out of the gutter sickos!) I started putting them in the case so they don't touch, and the batter life improved a lot. Most of them seem to get more than 2 years on a fresh battery.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
By winders, I meant watches I have to manually wind. Not the cool boxes for automatic watches.
Yeah I didn't pick up on that.
I started to wonder if watches that were touching each other metal to metal were draining each other. (Minds out of the gutter sickos!) I started putting them in the case so they don't touch, and the batter life improved a lot.
It's not something I was aware of, but it does make some sense.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yeah I didn't pick up on that.
My bad. Poor choice of words since “winder” is a proper watch term.
It's not something I was aware of, but it does make some sense.
I wasn’t either. It might not be a real thing, but it seems to have positive results. As scientific method goes, it doesn’t seem like there is much that I could influence to change the outcome after separating metal from metal. They still sit in the same case, and I still get the same batteries.

I suppose I could take a couple I don’t wear often, change the batteries, and let em touch each other for a few months.

I could probably google it too.......