Pardon me, but do you have the time?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You just described a cell phone. The Apple Watch is a cell phone that has a wrist strap. Did you give your wife a diamond engagement ring, or a picture of a diamond on a band?
The wristband makes it a watch. I remember I had watches as a kid that would beep on the hour. Had a stopwatch and/or timer, told me the date as well as the time. Did I have some sort of smart device or a watch?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Remember when I said this:

They also make an all titanium version but it is insanely expensive at $1,700.

I'm sure you do because you all hang on my every word around here.

Anyway, I found one new but w/o box and tags that is deeply discounted. I'm seriously considering making an irrational and expensive decision.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Remember when I said this:

I'm sure you do because you all hang on my every word around here.

Anyway, I found one new but w/o box and tags that is deeply discounted. I'm seriously considering making an irrational and expensive decision.
Maybe your employer will give you an advance on your salary.

Is it being sold out of the back of a truck? Perhaps 100% genuine imitation?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Is it being sold out of the back of a truck? Perhaps 100% genuine imitation?

I know, that's what worries me a bit. It's an eBay sale and the seller has a high rating. From the pics all the serial numbers on the back seem to line up. Also it's Bluetooth. I'm not sure about this but I assume a fake would not connect to the G-Shock app.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I know, that's what worries me a bit. It's an eBay sale and the seller has a high rating. From the pics all the serial numbers on the back seem to line up. Also it's Bluetooth. I'm not sure about this but I assume a fake would not connect to the G-Shock app.
Doesn't Bluetooth means it's no longer a watch?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Doesn't Bluetooth means it's no longer a watch?

I guess that argument could be made but I would counter with the fact that all the features of the watch can be accessed w/o ever connecting it to a phone. For instance, it connects to the phone daily to adjust the time, but it also has multiband 6 where it can get the atomic time signal from WWVB in CO.

My Garmin on the other hand is definitely not a real watch. It's a tool I use for fitness tracking.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I guess that argument could be made but I would counter with the fact that all the features of the watch can be accessed w/o ever connecting it to a phone. For instance, it connects to the phone daily to adjust the time, but it also has multiband 6 where it can get the atomic time signal from WWVB in CO.

My Garmin on the other hand is definitely not a real watch. It's a tool I use for fitness tracking.
My watch functions as a watch when away from the phone. I don't need the phone to tell the time or here the hourly beep.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I understand that but my point is that many of the features of a smart"watch" require a connection to a phone where that is not the case with the titanium square.
the features about bluetooth connecting and resetting the time can be viewed in the same way. From the early 70s additional features have been added to watches for them to do more than watches traditionally do. The Apple Watch is just a bigger step.

Do you still consider your smart phone a phone? 95% of it's features have nothing to do with telephony.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
the features about bluetooth connecting and resetting the time can be viewed in the same way. From the early 70s additional features have been added to watches for them to do more than watches traditionally do. The Apple Watch is just a bigger step.

Do you still consider your smart phone a phone? 95% of it's features have nothing to do with telephony.
We need Memebag to give us the right answer.

But until then, a watch has a mechanism for tracking time, which in-turn drives gears that make the hands move. The mechanism can be a quartz oscillator, or a pendulum and mainspring. If it doesn't have these things, it's just a form of a computer.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If you're going to spend that much money on a watch, it shouldn't look like a $40 watch.
I mean, if you're getting a great deal on a Tag Heuer or Movado or something, not only does it look like it's worth moth than $40, but what's inside is a better quality and functions better than a $40 watch.

I'd pass till you can reward yourself with a quality timepiece. Maybe when you get back to work and get the promotion to manager that you're qualified for now.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
We need Memebag to give us the right answer.

But until then, a watch has a mechanism for tracking time, which in-turn drives gears that make the hands move. The mechanism can be a quartz oscillator, or a pendulum and mainspring. If it doesn't have these things, it's just a form of a computer.
So by your definition the digital watch I got as a kid is not a real watch? It had no springs or pendulums.

Also my Apple Watch when away from the phone is keeping time. It doesn't freeze until the phone is back.

meme would not recognize a watch since it did not have a sundial attached.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
If you're going to spend that much money on a watch, it shouldn't look like a $40 watch.

I strongly disagree with that. I love how it looks like a normal square unless you are in the know. It's been dubbed the "stealth wealth" model.

if you're getting a great deal on a Tag Heuer or Movado or something, not only does it look like it's worth moth than $40, but what's inside is a better quality and functions better than a $40 watch.

Well, first off...Movado these days is nothing more than a fashion watch brand. As much as I loved their look as a kid (and still kinda do), I would never get one now. It would almost be as bad as walking around with a Daniel Wellington. Well, that may be a tad harsh.

Second, the module in the $40 version (the DW5600) is far different from this one. Now this one does share the same module as all the other metal and half metal squares that you can buy for anywhere from $350-$800. The main upgrades on this version are titanium bracelet + bezel and a sapphire, AR coated crystal. I fully understand those things do not cost Casio as much as the mark up implies (even though they say the had to create a new mold to make them) but to me the cool factor of having such a high end square is almost worth the MSRP.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
WHat do you guys think of the full metal Casio "Tron"?

1600378053155.png

It's laser etched. Weird, right?