Pardon me, but do you have the time?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Movado these days is nothing more than a fashion watch brand.
Ya don't say? I've never been very interested in them and didn't know they went cheap.
I was in a rush to finish that post at work today, and didn't have time to figure out how to spell Vacheron Constantin. But you got the idea.
WHat do you guys think of the full metal Casio "Tron"?

• Haha
Reactions: scotchandcigar

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ya that tron is pretty fugly. It has jail bars, or looks like a spiders web or even the la clippers home court design, which is god awful.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ok how about these 2:

1600476774430.png

1600476826419.png

Now I just bought one of them but I don't want to say which one until I hear your opinions. haha.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I was a gold guy, literally I installed gold onto cars at one time in my life, but I do dig that grey one. Send me one please.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I went with the stainless model. MSRP is $550 but I got it used from eBay for $375. There are some minor scratches on the bracelet but well worth the discounted price. I recently bought one of those 6mm thick gold Casios and I like it but it was under $50. I can't bring myself to spend $550 on a gold plated watch.

I've reviewed the half metal square before and this is the same thing just with a bracelet so I won't go into that again. I do like the extra heft though. It gives it a bit more of an even feel all around the wrist. It's a nice mix of brushed and polished and it has a milled clasp. Also the 4 mico adjusts give me the perfect fit which is nice.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Full metal Square update:

I anticipated being all sweaty in Disney today so I popped the micro adjust back a position to make it slightly looser before heading to the park. That was a good idea because it was somewhat tight walking around. Interesting how much the wrist expands and contracts. In its normal position it usually still has some room to slide around my wrist a bit.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
As much as I like Seiko I think at this point I need to admit to myself that Casio is clearly my favorite watchmaker and the G-Shock Square is my favorite watch. Even more specifically the full or half metal Square.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Yay! It's watch review time!

Today we are looking at another Casio, the G-Shock Gravitymaster GWR-B1000-1A1.

This started out as an $850 watch then casio dropped it to $650 I think. Hooray for the eBay gray market, I was able to get mine brand new for $374.

I've had it for a few weeks now and I'm digging it. It's a big fella but thanks to all carbon it is only 72 grams, so very light.

Speaking of carbon, Casio introduced the "Carbon Core" line of watches last year. Basically it means that the movement in a carbon core instead of the usual stainless or resin. It's supposed to be tougher that way.

This one has a carbon core which is kinda matte then a carbon bezel that has been polished to look nice.

It also has a carbon fiber insert strap.

This is my third watch with the carbon insert strap and they must be doing something different because it is the most comfortable.

Another really cool part of this one is that it's one of the few Casios that is top loaded. Much like the Seiko Marinemaster, you can only access the internals through the top. Good thing it's also solar because that will def take a professional to access so I won't have to worry about it for at least 10-15 years.

It has an AR coated, domed sapphire crystal. This is my first Casio with AR coating and my first watch all together with a domed crystal so that's fun.

The lume is shockingly great and not just by normal crappy Casio lume standards. All the indicies are lumed along with the hands.

And the light is crazy bright. So bright that in a dark room it can act as a weak flashlight.

Most Casio solar analog watches I have use the whole watchface for the solar panel but this one only uses the three subdials as the panels.

Some of the features include a 24 stopwatch and countdown timer (this is my first chronograph) along with an alarm and dual timezone. It manages to get the 24 hour stopwatch and countdown because the third subdial is a tiny am/pm indicator. The countdown timer is really cool, when activated the second hand ticks backwards and it's fun to watch.

It also had bluetooth features. All the main functions can be adjusted using the crown or through the app. It has both multiband 6 and bluetooth to make sure it keeps the perfect time. Another thing it does well that drives me crazy with some quartz watches is that the second hand hits all the markers perfectly.

There are a few things I dislike and I start with the most annoying one...the band keeper. It's stainless and way too big. It won't stay in place. It was so annoying that I took it off and replaced it with a resen one I had on a different watch.

It also has this extra little piece at the top of both ends of the strap than aren't the best. The underside is great because they help the watch fit snugly on the wrist but part that says "triple G resist" in the pic I posted doesn't need to be there. And I don't think that part has the carbon insert.

Two features it's lacking are the chime on the hour which I miss and also it doesn't have a button press to shift the hands out of the way of the subdials. All my ana-digi Casios have that so it's another thing I miss.

Usually I like when the date indicator matches the color of the dial but in this case I like it in white cause it pops even as the deepest layer in the case that has many layers of depth.

So overall after a few weeks I am still enjoying this watch quite a bit and happy with the purchase.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I actually like that one Koop.
I agree with some of the stuff you weren't thrilled about too. The tripple g thing, the paragraph on the strap about carbon fiber, and a couple too many G-SHOCKS, but generally, it's pretty nice. $375 is a good price, but I'd never give it second look at $850.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I actually like that one Koop.
I agree with some of the stuff you weren't thrilled about too. The tripple g thing, the paragraph on the strap about carbon fiber, and a couple too many G-SHOCKS, but generally, it's pretty nice. $375 is a good price, but I'd never give it second look at $850.

Thanks, yea I've been pretty much exclusively switching between this one and my various Squares lately.

The G-SHOCK at the 12 o'clock on the bezel is bright white and really stands out. I don't mind it. All the writing on the strap I could do without (along with those extra pieces that bug me) but the writing on the strap is nowhere near as pronounced as it looks in that pic. It can be seen, don't get me wrong, but it's actually in gray and kinda blends in. The flash on my camera made it much more visible.

Oh and something I left out of my review is how I dig the touch of blue on the top subdial hand.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I like the pilot watch. I think the leather strap would look better.

This turned out to be a good call. I put it back on the traditional, thick black leather strap (on) hehe, it came with and I'm liking it. I'm going to make it my daily driver for a week or two to break in this strap.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm digging my first microbrand, Islander purchase. Marc has a bunch of good looking watches at very solid prices.

I'm now interested in some well lumed models. 2 divers and a type-a pilot to compliment the type-b I already bought.

1602174340749.png

1602174371683.png

1602174415611.png

1602174433697.png

1602174468379.png

1602174484216.png

I probably like the blue and white diver the best. It's neat how the lume bleeds through the bezel making the whole thing lumed. Also he makes this version in 38 and 42 mm. I think it might be neat to have a smaller diver for once and would go with the 38 mm version. But I love a full lumed dial. The pilot watch is nice but besides being full lumed and type-a it's the exact same watch I already have. I do love how the watch face is completely unbranded. The clasp and crown are and I like that. I also like the full lumed diver but the indicies are printed on, not applied and that's never great.

Of these 3, which one do you guys like best?

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The stainless and black is probably my first choice followed by the blue one.

The painted indicies don't bother you? IDK, applied are just so much nicer to me.

That said, I'm also looking at various colorways of this one:

1602194662960.png

1602194831038.png

It would be a change of pace to go with a sandwiched/cutout dial. There are tons of microbrands from various Asian countries but not too many from China that all the reviewers I like agree is pretty good. It has all the hallmarks: NH35, sapphire, DLC coating, signed crown. The two-toned lume is cool too.

I remember being addicted to that watch site for years. I agree with Hectic on the choice.

I was a fan of his Youtube channel before I ever checked out his site. I like the guy who runs it. He seems smart and has a good eye for watches to add to his store.