Pardon me, but do you have the time?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like notifications on my watch because it doesn't just notify me, it shows me the content of the notification. My phone can make noise or vibrate when I get a notification, but to see what it is (and if it needs my attention) I have to look at my phone, which usually means pulling it out of my pocket. It's easier to just look at my wrist.

I disable vibration/sounds on all the other devices and just view notifications on my watch so there's nothing else nagging me.
How prole.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The Garmin 5x Plus is making me crazy. It is the same price and has all the same plus way more features than the GPS G-Shock but it seems like it is far less future proof. It's older and Garmin already has a bunch of Fenix watches out here. A refresh must be right around the corner. Plus it is much more of a smartwatch. Still not like a iWatch or Samsung Galaxy but idk, I like the idea of having my watch collection for years and years. Seems like with something like this that will definitely not be the case. With the G-Shock, they stay cool forever. Look at some of the first ABC sensor enabled Casios. Even the first one from 1994 still looks freaking sweet.

I've also looked at a few Suunto standalone GPS watches but none of them are all that great.

So it's down to to the G-Shock and the Garmin. And the Garmin is a new contender (I've only watched and read like 3 hours worth of material on it as opposed to like 10 on the Casio) I wonder who will ultimately win out.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The Garmin 5x Plus is making me crazy. It is the same price and has all the same plus way more features than the GPS G-Shock but it seems like it is far less future proof. It's older and Garmin already has a bunch of Fenix watches out here. A refresh must be right around the corner. Plus it is much more of a smartwatch. Still not like a iWatch or Samsung Galaxy but idk, I like the idea of having my watch collection for years and years. Seems like with something like this that will definitely not be the case. With the G-Shock, they stay cool forever. Look at some of the first ABC sensor enabled Casios. Even the first one from 1994 still looks freaking sweet.

I've also looked at a few Suunto standalone GPS watches but none of them are all that great.

So it's down to to the G-Shock and the Garmin. And the Garmin is a new contender (I've only watched and read like 3 hours worth of material on it as opposed to like 10 on the Casio) I wonder who will ultimately win out.
#Firstworldproblems

Reactions: JHDK

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That's fantastic looking, but a half mill is just stoopid.

I don't think it even has GPS.
The same watch is claimed to be valued at $175k in another article. It's a rare 1969 Paul Newman designated model. Even in this article, they say $500k is an overly high estimate, and they put a more realistic value at $300k. In any case, it's nice, rare, and valuable.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Well I have officially gone nuts and bought an $800 watch, double the price of my current most expensive watch. Was it the G-Shock? Was it the Fenix? I'm sure you are all on the edge of your seats with anticipation.

It was supposed to be delivered yesterday...I got it sent to a Whole Foods Amazon locker, and the freaking locker was full yesterday so it go delayed. Bummer. Hopefully it arrives today.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Of course my most expensive ever Amazon purchase got lost. Well, they aren't willing to say that yet. Tomorrow is the cutoff, but when I called customer service they started talking all about how they will overnight me a replacement when I call back tomorrow. Ha. Glad I bought it through Prime and didn't try to save $40 or so by going with a cheaper, no-name site.

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Across the country? So Florida can set the policy for Minnesota? Since it will be DST over the whole country, does this mean Wolf will have to spring forward?

I don't know. It's already confusing when Arizona changes times zones. You guys will spring forward, while I spring back to PST. Now all my shows will be an hour early.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I say we just keep going ahead an hour each time. It'll make things more interesting, and eventually we'll be an entire day ahead, and back to normal.

Reactions: memebag