scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm calling boolshit on this

Rare 'James Bond' Rolex up for auction
1565798699454.png

It's not the watch that Connery wore.

"The stainless steel collector's item is believed to have been produced in 1958. Four years later, Connery would wear a version of the timepiece -- a Rolex Submariner 6538 -- during his first outing as the British spy, earning it the nickname the "James Bond Submariner." The item is "free from significant marks and scratches," according to the sale catalog."

Really? Because I see significant marks and scratches. But I'm sure it'll get what they're asking for it. People are stoopid.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just fixed a wind-up watch that I bought off of a street vendor in St Petersburg Russia back in 1995.

It quit working about 5 years ago. Since it's a winder, I never popped the back off of it. I did that this weekend. I gave the flywheel a nudge and a gentle shot of compressed air and it took off running.

So cool! It's almost a sweep second hand, and will run for 2 or 3 days on a single wind.

Reactions: JHDK

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I just fixed a wind-up watch that I bought off of a street vendor in St Petersburg Russia back in 1995.

It quit working about 5 years ago. Since it's a winder, I never popped the back off of it. I did that this weekend. I gave the flywheel a nudge and a gentle shot of compressed air and it took off running.

So cool! It's almost a sweep second hand, and will run for 2 or 3 days on a single wind.
That's neat. A 2 to 3 day movement is impressive, anything that can do that has to be specially designed.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's neat. A 2 to 3 day movement is impressive, anything that can do that has to be specially designed.
For $15 bucks, I'm impressed. I was hoping that it would last a year before it fell apart. It lasted close to 20 before it stopped.If I would have opened it up back then, I'm guessing that it would have kept going.
When I opened it, it said that it's supposed to be a 7 (or 17) jewel movement. I'm not sure if that's got much to do with the sweep(ish) second hand or not.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Would have served him right if it would have gotten broken.
What a douche move to wear something like that during a game.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Welp, I've just added my 5th watch of 2019:

LUME JUNKIES REJOICE!!!

It's pretty cheap and not hand-winding or hacking but man, look at that lume!

I got a racing type leather band to go with it too. I know that doesn't really fit with a diver but leather in general doesn't go with divers. I figured if I'm already going to go leather who cares if it has those upper band holes. I think it will look cool. And it's an EACHE band...by far my favorite cheap strap maker on Amazon these days. I currently have 3 of their straps and LOVE 2 of them...the third not so much but I also don't really like the watch it's on either (the baby Seiko snow monster).

Also, I have so many watches now I needed to get a second watch box. I like the cheap one I have so I got another. I recently added the 3 watches I got my Dad over the years to my collection so I need more room. I figure I'll use one box for Casio and the other for everything else, which is really just Orient and Seiko + 2 Timex and a Citizen from the old man.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this lume in person!

1569567647832.png

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Now that I think about it my least favorite in the collection (and most favorite for that matter) seem to rotate. I just put the baby monster on for the first time in months and am kinda digging it, band and all. One MAJOR flaw though is that the bezel is not perfectly aligned. IT DRIVES ME NUTS! This is a well known issue with some low to mid-range Seikos. But I can get it perfect it I adjust it just right with the back play of the between-the-clicks rotation. Problem is it's kinda hard to keep it there with regular wear and needs to be adjusted often.

I think I'll wear my baby tomorrow to give her a little much needed wrist-time love.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Welp, I've just added my 5th watch of 2019:

LUME JUNKIES REJOICE!!!

It's pretty cheap and not hand-winding or hacking but man, look at that lume!

I got a racing type leather band to go with it too. I know that doesn't really fit with a diver but leather in general doesn't go with divers. I figured if I'm already going to go leather who cares if it has those upper band holes. I think it will look cool. And it's an EACHE band...by far my favorite cheap strap maker on Amazon these days. I currently have 3 of their straps and LOVE 2 of them...the third not so much but I also don't really like the watch it's on either (the baby Seiko snow monster).

Also, I have so many watches now I needed to get a second watch box. I like the cheap one I have so I got another. I recently added the 3 watches I got my Dad over the years to my collection so I need more room. I figure I'll use one box for Casio and the other for everything else, which is really just Orient and Seiko + 2 Timex and a Citizen from the old man.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this lume in person!

View attachment 5654

Now we're talking! That's the type of watch I've recommended to people who want advice on inexpensive watches. Good choice.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I think I will get back into my personal watch reviews at some point, and I'm digging the Mako XL despite some issues, but right now I'm already onto the next thing. I'm now looking at this bad boy:

1569990417454.png

It's Citizen's competitor to Seiko's SKX and I already have an SKX with a blue dial and Pepsi bezel. It's a solar powered quartz and you all know from my diehard love of Casio, I'm down with quartz. The accuracy just can't be beat and they are all hacking, which is nice. What I really don't like is when you buy a somewhat bigger watch and it has a tiny little quartz movement in it surrounded by a giant spacer. Something like this:

1569990590059.png

So I wanted to find out what Citizen BN0150-28E looks like on the inside. This proved surprisingly tough. As popular as it is, I couldn't find a teardown on Youtube or Google images. I watched one video where the guy said the name of the movement and I heard it as "E16A". Couldn't find anything there either. Eventually I figured out it's actually the "E168" movement then I was able to find one on Ebay. To my delight it's a robust movement with a small spacer holing it in the case:

1569990860959.png

No joke it probably took me an hour of research to find that picture. Well worth it.

I do have a lot of room to fill now that I have my second watch box.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think that’s a small movement. Look how long the stem is. I think the plastic part you see is the same as the upper picture, but the upper has a space around it.

Don’t worry about the guts if you can’t see them.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It's nice, the case might be a little beefier looking than the other similar ones you have, but I'd guess it's a pretty subtle difference. Also, I can understand that as a watch guy, you'd want to see what the innards look like. And I agree that there's something undesirable about putting a little movement in a big case. However, in general, there's not much to look at, in a battery-powered quartz movement.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I think that’s a small movement. Look how long the stem is. I think the plastic part you see is the same as the upper picture, but the upper has a space around it.

Don’t worry about the guts if you can’t see them.
This is a good point. The 1st pic is the movement in an actual watch, but the 2nd is just the movement, so depending on what size case it goes into, it'll probably have a spacer too.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I think that’s a small movement.

This is a good point.

You guys are killing me. I figured that stem was not fully inserted or exaggerated for show seeing how the crown is just pink plastic.

How about this pic? Once again it's not in the watch but there is a bit of a reference with where the date falls on the solar panel.

1570027744812.png

I can understand that as a watch guy, you'd want to see what the innards look like. And I agree that there's something undesirable about putting a little movement in a big case.

I like how I know if I open one of my Casios the movement will span the entire case spare the "G-Shock" spacer around the very edges and the rubber membrane that allows it to "float" instead of being exposed to the caseback.

in general, there's not much to look at, in a battery-powered quartz movement.

Unless we start talking about my grail watch, the Grand Seiko Sport:

1570028043534.png

Or this pretty much brand new, very high-end Citizen Eco-Drive movement

1570028145308.png

These two are accurate up to + - 3 seconds per year for the Grand Seiko and 1 second per year for the Citizen. They are so proud of these quartz movements that they often come with an exhibition caseback.

I'm never going to have a 5k+ watch which is what the new Citizen costs but the Grand Seiko is around 2,500. That is possible.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm sticking with my guess that it's still the smaller movement. They both have the same battery in them. You can compare the scale from that.
This is an example of when it's safe to say that size does not matter.

Relax and enjoy the watch! If it had a glass back, I'd say differently.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Relax and enjoy the watch! If it had a glass back, I'd say differently.

I can say very honestly I won't be able to. I've actually thought of buying a caseback removal kit to see what it looks like and then returning it if it's tiny.

I'll probably just move on to something else. I already have a different colorway of my OG Seiko field watch (the one that started it all) in mind. It's about $100 cheaper than that Citizen Diver and automatic and can back-hack so even though it's not hacking you can adjust it to the exact time.

I already have this one with a green dial, white hands and indices.

1570034904894.png

I'm kinda feeling a smaller watch right now and I'm wearing my green guy to work today.

Last edited: