Pardon me, but do you have the time?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
More watch news.

The second watch that was part of my buying spree arrived yesterday. It's nice but I'm returning it. I like the one with numerals better and I don't need 2 new Seiko 5's. It's this one:

1598371278172.png\

Also I sold my G-Shock Rangeman. I did take a loss on it's but not that much so I'm happy. This was the first time I've used eBay to buy or sell anything in years so it was an interesting experience. So with the sale it paid for the Seiko 5 that I reviewed a few days ago and will also pay for the kickstarter watch and I'll have around $150 left over, so overall good stuff. I'm thinking about spending some of that on a nice bracelet for my fancy Seiko SARB.

This one:

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Doesn't know how to pop the hood on his car
he won't light the gas grill
He also can't back his car down his own driveway (has me do it).

That is insane behavior. That's all stuff any adult or even teenager can easily do. So how does he go anywhere? He has you come over every time he wants to drive somewhere?

I'm not joking at all here when I say this is baffling and totally crazy to me.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That is insane behavior. That's all stuff any adult or even teenager can easily do. So how does he go anywhere? He has you come over every time he wants to drive somewhere?

I'm not joking at all here when I say this is baffling and totally crazy to me.
He usually turns around on his (or anyone's) driveway, so he never has to back up.

The guy's an enigma. He's now laid-off for the 4th time since I've known him, but when he does work, he's an executive level guy. You should see him light a cigar. He's got this fear of fire that I don't understand. As for the grill, either the wife lights it, or they only grill when people are over. He also has a huge problem walking down a set of risers, like at an outdoor grandstand or gymnasium.

He's a software guy, so he never had an interest in anything mechanical, like cars. And whatever the opposite of a do-it-yourselfer is, that's him. But he's a world traveler, a great manager, a top sales person, an expert on all Apple products, and an avid music collector.

• Wow
Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I have a problem here guys. I may need to get this watch:

1598410932154.png

1598411998664.png

I had a bad experience with Laco awhile back where the movement was faulty and if the watch was bumped the second hand would stop moving for a second or so. I returned it. Now Laco has real heritage behind it and this one certainly does not. However, I've been watching this guy Mark's videos since I started getting into watches and I like him. He has a store up in NY called Long Island Watch. About a year ago he started his own brand, The Islander. He makes a bunch of different models. A lot of them are Seiko dive watch homages with quality of life upgrades. I already have a few dive watches and I'm not really on a diver's kick right now. I do not have a pilot watch in the collection.

Now a true pilot watch wouldn't have a date window so that's not the best. Also a true type-b pilot watch wouldn't have the hour hand extend past the inner hour marker circle. So those are my two gripes with this. Besides that I really like it and have been waiting for it to come back in stock for a while now. It has the workhorse Seiko NH35 movement so that's a plus and I can rest assured I won't have the same issues I did with the Laco. Also pilot watches are known for really cool lume and this one is no exception.

Here are the specs:

Watch Features:
  • Movement: NH35 Automatic (self-winding, hand wind, hacks)
  • Case: Stainless steel, 42mm x 12mm thick. 48mm tip to tip
  • Back: Engraved screw-in back
  • Crystal: Anti-reflective sapphire
  • Band: Leather strap with signed buckle
  • Water Resistant: 100 meters

This would be my first watch with an AR coated crystal, so that's cool.

Hey Scotch, don't you have a Hamilton pilot watch? I seem to remember you talking about it but I don't want to search through all these pages. I really like the one they make where the hour hand is partially skeletonized so the hour marker is visible when the hand is over it. But that one is significantly more expensive.

IDK/I think I will likely pull the trigger, especially since I returned that Seiko 5 today. Also I had another stap party with my SARB tonight and realized I have some very cool 20mm natos that go well with it. So I won't get the fancy bracelet for the SARB and instead I'll use the money I was going to pay for that along with the returned 5's cash to get this guy...with that mind bending rationalization, this will only cost me $33. Hah.

Last edited:

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ha, yea. But overall I'm being responsible and don't have any major worries about day to day living expenses or being able to pay bills. I guess I just don't talk about the all the stuff I don't buy around here...solid double negative right there.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I have 3 watches with see-through backs:
View attachment 4173
From top to bottom:
Hamilton pilot watch with silver dial and dark brown leather strap;
Tissot PRS 516 with black dial and brown rally strap;
Skytimer pilot watch with white dial and black strap.

The Hamilton was the priciest, followed by the Tissot and the Skytimer (dirt cheap).
Top and bottom.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Top and bottom.

Cool. Along with the handset, I like the big day window. That's a really neat feature on Hamiltons. Does the day switch over in a split second like it does in other Hamilton models? With all of my automatics it takes awhile for the day and date to switch over. I've had my eye on the Khaki King for a long time now but the big price and subpar lume has held me back.

Oh and I just bought the Islander Pilot. But then I was feeling too gluttonous getting that and the Kickstarter watch so since that campaign is still live I was able to back out of it with no charge.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Cool. Along with the handset, I like the big day window. That's a really neat feature on Hamiltons. Does the day switch over in a split second like it does in other Hamilton models? With all of my automatics it takes awhile for the day and date to switch over. I've had my eye on the Khaki King for a long time now but the big price and subpar lume has held me back.
The day takes 2 clicks when advancing with the crown, so I'd imagine at midnight, it would also take 2 steps to get all the way to the next day.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
It's a watch party over at the palace de Koop tonight.

Two very different watches arrived today!

First got the Islander pilot watch! My first foray into microbrands and so far so good. I went through the specs before so here are some pics of it in the wilds of south FL. It came with a classically thick black leather pilot watch strap but it doesn't quite fit me well, either too tight or too loose so I put it on one of my natos.

Oh that lume is delightful:

I couldn't resist and got another Casio. This is now my cheapest watch at around $20 and I love it! It's very basic with just time/day/date/1 alarm/hourly chime/1 hour stopwatch and a surprisingly good amber backlight. However it's incredibly light at only 49.8 grams with a stainless bracelet that is folded links of course for the price.

The major thing about this watch is that it's only 6mm thick!!!

People love to say watches "disappear on wrist" and that's a stupid, overused phrase that belongs in the annoying phrases thread but this one really is hardly noticeable. I love this little guy.

The pushers feel great, better than the ones on the base model G-Shock Squares. The case is painted plastic which isn't great but again, for the price I'll take it. There are conflicting reports of weather it is acrylic or mineral crystal. It's probably acrylic which also isn't great, but once again it was so cheap!

I like the look of it, on this bracelet is looks very 80's classic Casio. They make it in two other colorways, gold and another silver with no colors on the dial. Those other two have mesh bracelets. I may need to get them as well to complete the set. But I like the fun little splash of color on this one, it's so small that it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like the pilot watch. I think the leather strap would look better.

5 watches?
So you have one of these?
P0.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I was making a joke of wearing a bunch of watches yesterday and now today I wore my new pilot watch like normal and strapped my Garmin onto a belt loop. I'm back up at Disney (what a shock, right?) and didn't want to have all those steps around the Magic Kingdom go uncounted.