Pardon me, but do you have the time?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Of all my watches I have one clear favorite that I wear the most and it's this casio:

1599946567598.png

I love these squares and this is up there with the top of the line options. They make them with a bracelet but as I've stated a bunch, while I like bracelets from time to time I prefer various types of straps and this one is no exception with the softest Casio strap I've ever owned. They also make an all titanium version but it is insanely expensive at $1,700.

Now I'm thinking of buying another of these because I found a good deal that is significantly cheaper than what I paid for my first one. I may make it into a project. Being a square addict I have the entire line of these "Half Metal Squares" . Those include:

-The one pictured above
-One with a black metal bezel and positive display
-One with a dark blue metal bezel and a negative display

My project idea is to buy this one again and swap the bezel out with the black metal one. That way I will have one that is totally stealth with a black bezel and negative display and a silver bezel with a positive display.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
We had looked at a similar model with a green background but she more or less shamed me into buying it. After this I can't buy another one for a while. Turns out I have a few friends who are watch lover. One I've known for 15 years that I just found out has like 30+ watches.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
My old man gave me this with a camo green band. He was in vietnam and came back with it. He was a scuba diver too. The 30+ watch guy knew exactly how to get it going. It worked for about 10 minutes. It does turn randomly. Watch guy down the street quoted me like 300+ bucks to repair it. 1600186420255.png

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
$300????? What's the thing worth?

I bought a couple of watches off of street vendors in Russia back in the mid-90's. One was something like $10 and the other $12 or $13.
Winders. The second hands were pretty much sweep action. I thought they were worth it if they lasted 6 months to a year. They lasted about 16 before they stopped. They sat in the jewelry box for a few years. About a year ago I was changing the battery on another watch and decided to pop the backs off of them. I hit them with a little shot of compressed air and wound them up. After a little coaxing they started working again! Who woulda known.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I can believe that taking the thing apart and cleaning etc. would cost $300. And yeah, a Russian watch like that isn't worth it, except for sentimental value, it would be.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Pretty much all of the watch Youtubers I watch (and that list is quite long) agree that Vostok is a solid, cheap Russian brand that is great for modding. I haven't felt the love for any of the ones I've seen in videos yet. Maybe one day I'll get into Swiss and all the rest but for now I'm a Japanese watch guy. As you know my collection is nearly 100% either Casio or Seiko.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The beauty of an Apple Watch is you know you have the only good watch and don't have to worry about getting a whole bunch of other watches which are not Apple and therefore not good.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
You are basically wearing a smaller version of this:

1600280953664.png

on your wrist. It's cool and go for it if ya dig it, but it's not a watch.

Reactions: HecticArt