Political Talk Forum

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Apr 29, 2014.

1. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Because it was the normal loss of power for the sitting president in a midterm election, not a blue wave. If they also lost the senate it would have been a somewhat different story.

In midterms since 1862, the president's party has averaged losses of about 32 seats in the House and more than two seats in the Senate.

The GOP lost 23 house seats (I think, not totally sure of the exact #) and gained 2 senators.

And yes, I know that is an old article but I heard something like that on the news a few days ago and this was the first one that popped up with the least amount of searching.

Do presidents always get

The way I see it this was one where either side can claim victory and have a point. Dems managed to take back a chamber and thus start bothering Trump for the next 2 years and GOP managed to avoid the major Trump backlash many predicted from more or less the day he was elected.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    hyson likes this.
  2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

So far, Democrats have taken 28 seats in the House from Republicans. There are still 11 undecided House races. It was by no means a "blue wave", but it wasn't a surprise.

Here in Texas, Beto O'Rourke brought a lot of people to the polls who voted the straight Democrat ticket. In urban areas like Houston, this kicked out a bunch of Republicans from local offices. Ed Emmett had been County Judge in Harris County for 11 years. He ran as a Republican, but was pretty well respected by Democrats. Beto voters dumped him and elected Lina Hidalgo, a 27 year old Colombian immigrant with a bachelor's in poli sci from Stanford who had never even attended a meeting of commissioner's court. She is suddenly in charge of a $4 billion county budget. Watching what happens next will be ... interesting.

For the first time in my life I was tempted to vote straight Democrat. I didn't because some of the judges Democrats were running are crap, and because Ed Emmett was doing a very good job.

3. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Looks like the gain might be up to 30 seats now. Dems also gained governors in 7 states. You can call it whatever you want; all these catch phrases are just the usual political spin.

4. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Here in Arizona we have a tight race for a senate seat. It all comes down to those mail-in ballots, which I am one of them. :D I rather do early voting then stand in long lines for hours.

Martha McSally - Republican - 856,848 - 49.4%
    Kyrsten Sinema - Democrat - 839,775 - 48.4

Arizona GOP sues to limit mail-in ballots in Senate race

Republicans filed a lawsuit Wednesday night to challenge the way some Arizona counties count mail-in ballots as election officials began to slowly tally more than 600,000 outstanding votes in the narrow U.S. Senate race — a task that could take days.

5. scotchandcigar

The House seat from the 2nd District in Maine is separated by 0.5%, with 91% counted.

6. scotchandcigar

HecticArt and Wolf like this.
  7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Here a new update with some of the early voting results as Kyrsten Sinema takes the lead.

8. scotchandcigar

This one still hasn't been called yet, but it's looking like the GOP guy will win.
    upload_2018-11-9_11-10-54.png

9. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Would a live brothel owner be better?

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

HecticArt and scotchandcigar like this.
  11. scotchandcigar

semipenguin and Wolf like this.
  12. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

One thing some people have noticed, but Republicans won’t admit it. That Arizona little by little is leaning towards to becoming a Democratic state.

Who knows what the 2020 elections will look like here.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    semipenguin likes this.
  13. scotchandcigar

14. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Kids can #BuildThatWall and their parents or Santa will pay for it.

15. scotchandcigar

He doesn't have a baby blue suit, and the tie is way too short. Plus the fleshtone is completely off.

16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Wow. Grooming Hitler Youth much?

Aaron likes this.
  17. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

At least the hair piece is a toupee.

18. scotchandcigar

Ha! At first, this headline seems totally bizarre
    Melania Trump calls for ouster of national security aide - CNNPolitics

But then I saw this:
    "Ricardel most recently feuding with members of the first lady's staff over her trip to Africa. Ricardel quarreled with the first lady's staff over seating on the plane and use of National Security Council resources."

19. scotchandcigar

Democrats just picked-up a 31st house seat.

Wolf likes this.
  20. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf