Political Talk Forum

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Apr 29, 2014.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I wonder if he makes the prostitutes sign the "Taxpayer Protection Pledge"?

2. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I think they make him sign a "protection" pledge.

3. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Last night Pete Buttigieg was on the Stephen Colbert show. Basically trying to get his name out there and possibly running for President in 2020. Couple of things I notice in the interview, he mentions he has more political experience then Trump and saying Mike Pence "Gay is not a choice."

Pete Buttigieg Calls Out Mike Pence: Being Gay Is Not a ‘Choice’

No offense, hopefully the guy does great in his presidential run and beside being gay. But he's only been a Mayor for 8 years. I believe he needs more political experience under his belt like run for Congress, Governor spot or whatever else.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

I am not sure such experience is good.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

5. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

6. scotchandcigar

The US will always have a fukked up political system. The country's size, combined with disinterest in issues, will forever render it a pick-your-side popularity contest.

By all rights, Bernie should check into a retirement home and stay there. He's really old, and represents a northern white liberal state. He's not an effective speaker, and has a one-tone rhetoric.

However, people know who he is, which is 95% of American politics.

99% of what he says he wants to do, would never come to be, even if he was elected. It's mostly hype.

7. Channel98

In 2002, investigative reporter Greg Palast wrote a book titled The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, which dealt in part with the 2000 Presidential election. It does seem that in most elections the winner is the candidate who spent the most money campaigning. Look who this year's early money-raising champion is:

Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign raises more than $1 million in less than 4 hours

8. scotchandcigar

There's a super-easy change they can make, that'll eliminate most of the problems with our political campaigns, which they already do in countries like England and Japan. Limit campaigning to 30-60 days. That's it.

Instead of 2 years of campaigning, billions of dollars spent, endless commercials and phone calls, and dozens of debates, we'll have one month to hear the issues, have a debate, and vote.

But it'll never happen. Because our campaign system is determined by political committees, not the constitution. And so there's no way for us citizens to change it through a legal process, such as voting on a bill. Of course, we can all band together and boycott the system until they change it, but we're too disinterested to put in the effort.

9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Another pie in the sky solution would be public financing. But the Supreme Court has ruled that spending money is a form of protected speech, so legally speaking, pecunia loquitur et predictam vaccam faecibus exturbandis opitulatur graditur.

10. Channel98

The NBC News site just posted an essay by a former aide to Hillary Clinton. We can call this a Negative Bernie Critique.

Bernie Sanders' 2020 presidential campaign will face the scrutiny Clinton got in 2016. Here's what voters missed.
    The media didn't consider him a real contender the last time, so what press he got was largely positive. That's about to change.

Opinion | Bernie Sanders had it easy in 2016. That won't happen in 2020.

11. scotchandcigar

E pluribus unum?

12. scotchandcigar

A helluva lot has changed since 2016.

13. Channel98

Yes, I am on this site now. :D

Here is something truly scary. CNN today reported that Christopher Hasson had 15 guns and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition and intended to kill as many journalists and Democrats as possible. He was probably inspired by another white nationalist who continually attacks journalists and Democrats and says white nationalists are "fine people" -- and fails to see how his hateful rhetoric can influence others.

‘I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on earth’: A self-proclaimed white nationalist planned a mass terrorist attack, the government says

14. scotchandcigar

Yeah, I saw this. It seems unlikely he'd be able to murder people who are located all over the country. But then again, he's totally nuts.

15. Channel98

16. scotchandcigar

See my post #2466.

17. Channel98

18. Channel98

The Washington Post just released its newest quarterly ranking of the top 15 Democratic Presidential candidates -- even though only ten have announced their candidacy. The top three: Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. South Bend mayor Pete Buttigieg isn't on the list. I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

Analysis: The top 15 Democratic presidential candidates of 2020, ranked

19. scotchandcigar

We can't get a break until the primaries begin?

20. scotchandcigar