Political Talk Forum

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Wolf, Apr 29, 2014.

1. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Uh oh...It's this early on and we already have, "Please clap" 2.0.

2. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

All this money being wasted. It's laughable.....and sad.

3. Channel98

Channel98 Don't yell or hit.

OpenSecrets.org has a chart showing how much money has been spent on each Presidential and Congressional election, 1998-2016. In the 2016 Presidential race, candidates spent almost $2,400,000,000. Just think if all that money had instead gone to feeding the hungry and providing housing for the homeless.

Election 2016: Trump's free media helped keep cost down

hyson likes this.
  4. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

We need a constitutional amendment to prohibit all private campaign spending and publicly fund all elections. Dollars should not equal votes.

HecticArt and hyson like this.
  5. Channel98

OpenSecrets.org – and how can they be considered "secrets" if they're "open"? – has a page, searchable by year, devoted to self-funding candidates. It notes, "Though they don't lack for money, self-funded candidates typically lose at the polls." There ya go! In 2018, one Republican Senatorial candidate spent $36,000,000 of his own money.......and lost. If he had spent all that money on feeding the hungry and helping the homeless, he probably would have won.

Self Funding Candidates | OpenSecrets

6. Channel98

7. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Joe Biden Is the Front-Runner -- Over Democrats, and Donald Trump

A Trump Biden race would be fun. I would be happier to see Trump finish out 8 years but it would be far from upsetting to me if Biden won.

Very different to the Obama McCain race or Trump Hillary where I was so invested in one candidate. (Barry and Donny.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  8. Channel98

I studied the numbers in that "hypothetical matchup" and I don't know which statistic is more unsettling to me: that more than 20% of the respondents had no opinion or that more than 6% wouldn't even bother to vote. And 15% of Gen Z people wouldn't vote? Fifteen percent? The "Z" in their name must mean they're asleep!

9. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

The no opinion thing is weird to me but I'm fine with people not voting. I think it's a nice part of living in a free country...you're free to vote for who you want and also free to not care.

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

If Election Day no shows are 50% how come opinion polls don’t have 50% no opinion?

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

11. Channel98

Joe Biden today released a short video announcing his candidacy. Referencing the deadly clash between white supremacists and counter-protesters in Charlottesville, Biden said Trump's declaration that there are "some very fine people on both sides" convinced him that "the threat to this nation was unlike any I had seen in my lifetime. We are in the battle for the soul of this nation."

The President's response – on Twitter, of course – was to call Biden "Sleepy Joe," to doubt Biden's intelligence and to note the "sick & demented ideas" of other candidates. The New York Times considers whether Biden is "out of step with the mores of today's Democratic party":

Analysis: How Does Joe Biden Fit Into a Changing Democratic Party?

12. Channel98

A Real Clear Politics average of national polls shows Biden leading all other Democratic Presidential candidates. Biden is favored by 29.3% of Democratic voters. Bernie has 23%. If Biden wins the nomination, he should pick Harris or O'Rourke as his running mate – assuming, of course, they would want to be his running mate. Either one would boost Biden's chance of winning the Presidency – although CNN's Jeffrey Toobin thinks nobody ever votes for a Presidential candidate based on who the running mate is. How would he know?

Biden Has the Best Shot at Beating Trump

13. Channel98

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

The number of bogus new members that are trying to register for our site has spiked dramatically over the last several weeks. I ban 4 or 5 accounts every day that are clearly not here to talk about satellite, music, or entertainment.

As with all social media, make sure that your passwords are strong, and be conscious of what links you click.

JHDK likes this.
  15. Channel98

16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

For the most part, robots are usually the search engines skimming the web. The ones that I ban every day appear to be people trying to get in from foreign countries or that raise other flags that they are not here for forum business. I'll not describe what I look for.

17. Channel98

No need to. I can guess. Thank you for responding.

18. Channel98

Rosenstein said he didn't want to be "fired on Twitter." Golly gee, who in the world would fire someone via a tweet? *Cough, cough*

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein submits resignation letter
    Rosenstein will leave May 11, ending a tumultuous two years as Justice Department's No. 2 official.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein Submits Resignation Letter

19. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

Tumultuous sounds like a word you would use to describe a baked good.

Me: How was the Alaskan Flambe?

IdRatherBeSkiing: It was Tumultuous, thank you.

scotchandcigar likes this.
  20. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Seems like an appropriate time to relive this great moment
    Rod Rosenstein looked deadpan as William Barr spoke. And Twitter took note