Question on editing post?

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I have a quick question, over at SBS when you do a post you only have 24 hours to edit it. Does DRC have doing the same over here or not?

Thanks

Last edited:

Brian

Banned
Oct 12, 2008
I never liked the limit on editing a post. Be it 15 minutes, 15 hours or 15 days, sometimes posts need to be changed and I don't wanna wait for a mod to change it for me.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I see this from both sides. I think the team will just have to decide which will work best on this forum. Most forums don't allow you unlimited editing time.

Brian

Banned
Oct 12, 2008
A lot of the forums I'm on do, though.

What would the possible benefit of restricting editing time be?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What would the possible benefit of restricting editing time be?

I really don't care either way, but I know in the past on SBS and other forums I've been part of. You'll have someone post a lot of good info and then for whatever reason decide to leave and just remove it. Then the flow of the thread is totally trashed and the info is gone.

I've even seen where you have a good conversation going and then someone get pissed say a lot of stuff they don't mean, then go back and change it, yet you have several replies with quotes that have the information in there. So in my mind if you post it, you should be willing to live with what you posted.

That is just a few reasons I could come up with. Now granted you may disagree and that is fine.

By the same token I can see where posting information and then wanting to add to it or even change it because the info isn't accurate. But other than that I see no reason to need to be able to edit beyond a certain period of time.

Again like I said I can see it from both sides.

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
Also regardless of if it's 10 minutes, 10 days, or 10 years there is always a post edit history for the mods to go back on if they get complaints about a post that was later edited.

I don't see a problem with allowing editing. If at some point it gets abused to bad we can do something about it then.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Also regardless of if it's 10 minutes, 10 days, or 10 years there is always a post edit history for the mods to go back on if they get complaints about a post that was later edited.

I don't see a problem with allowing editing. If at some point it gets abused to bad we can do something about it then.

Good info, but having a sleeping primary admin at SBS, we didn't have access to that info at least I never did. Sometimes being able to look at what someone typed and then went back and edited, helps you make good mod decisions.

I am down with it whatever way the team decides.

Brian

Banned
Oct 12, 2008
I really don't care either way, but I know in the past on SBS and other forums I've been part of. You'll have someone post a lot of good info and then for whatever reason decide to leave and just remove it. Then the flow of the thread is totally trashed and the info is gone.

I've even seen where you have a good conversation going and then someone get pissed say a lot of stuff they don't mean, then go back and change it, yet you have several replies with quotes that have the information in there. So in my mind if you post it, you should be willing to live with what you posted.

That is just a few reasons I could come up with. Now granted you may disagree and that is fine.

By the same token I can see where posting information and then wanting to add to it or even change it because the info isn't accurate. But other than that I see no reason to need to be able to edit beyond a certain period of time.

Again like I said I can see it from both sides.

That's good reasoning. I'm not trying to start trouble, I really never did understand why there was a limit over at SBS.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That's good reasoning. I'm not trying to start trouble, I really never did understand why there was a limit over at SBS.

Well Brian there was a lot of things I wondered about at SBS. LOL Seriously, it was simply used as a moderating tool, because we didn't have Dan to count on to help us out. Here it will likely not be necessary since we have a rock solid support team.

I do appreciate you bringing it up, that is how things are made better for all concerned.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have seen forums where you can edit/delete until someone replies to it. Perhaps you could do a combo you can edit it for 24 hours ... or longer if nobody replies to it.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
When I remember there was no edit time at SBS, then they made it 24 hrs. I wasn't a big fan of it, but it finally grew on me. So that I was asking over here, I'm cool with a edit limit time. But maybe this time can it be like 48 hours instead of 24 hours?

Thanks