Quotes that changed your life.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
While it's certainly not a heartwarming quote, when I read it over 25 years ago, it really stuck in my mind. Knowing this and then experiencing the buildup to the war in Iraq, while watching the activities of the administration and the resulting reactions of the American people, made me panic all the more. I saw what was happening, and was powerless to do anything about it. So, to me, this quote was life-changing.

“Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. ... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”

-General Herman Goering, President of German Reichstag and Nazi Party, Commander of Luftwaffe during World War II, April 18, 1946.

Oren

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I have no clue who said it or if it was an original from my Uncle. In any event, he told me this when he realized that I had a very bad memory (he does too).

"Never set yourself up for failure". He meant it as, if you have to remember to take something to work with you, put it in a spot where you will trip over it so you remember it.

Yes that is quite elementary and, most would say, is common sense but I will never forget where we were when he told me that. We were working on a mobile version of this (a DOW "wet soil scrubber"):

SO2_photo.jpg

Also the wisest person I have ever met (one of my grandfathers) told me this at age 7 (Again, I will never forget where we were when he told me this.).

"You should never swear but if you ever need a strong word to say then "Shit" is the word to use". I never heard this man raise his voice or say a "bad word" (other than shit).