R.I.P. Cinemagic

Discussion in 'Jazz, Blues, Standards, Ambient' started by ai4i, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ai4i

ai4i Member

"As of July 1, Cinemagic will no longer be available on XM Satellite Radio..."
    More!
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Thank You FCC. Thank you for mandating we get minority interest channels instead of programming we want.

(That being said, I never listened to this channel. Seemed like kind of a pointless channel to me but I know that there are some who really liked it).
  3. ai4i

ai4i Member

"Hi, we are your friends from the government and we are here to help you."
  4. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I honestly couldn't care any less about this channel.

However, is it true that it's being bumped to allow XM Telemundo channels?
  5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Gotta lose something to make way for something else. Since Sirius has a hard-on for Rock Channels, losing one of those is simply out of the question.
  6. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

They probably think they're catering to it's audience, which it may be.
  7. IdRatherBeSkiing

Adding these crappy public alternative channels is not SXMs decision. If you are upset about it, write your congressman or the FCC.

Although, not being a subscriber to SXM, this should not really concern you. If you do resubscribe in the manner and conditions you have stated it shouldn't affect you either since Cinemagic is available online.

Rock channels sell subs. I believe SXM believes this and I have little reason to doubt it/them.
  8. ai4i

ai4i Member

So long, farewell (auf Wiedersehen, good night), from The Sound of Music, was played leading up to midnight.

They were then replaced by BYU Radio, on channel 143.
    We believe BYU Radio is being sent in the clear for nonsubscribers.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  9. IdRatherBeSkiing

Yes. The FCCs gift to the world.
  10. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

11. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

This channel was great before the merger, after it as never quite the same.

BYU radio ? What the hell is this crap ?
  12. ai4i

ai4i Member

KBYU-HD2, the whitest minoririty interest radio service anywhere.
    The HDt1 and main channel is a regular classical music station serving "The Great Salt Lake" City area.
  13. microbob

microbob Well-Known Member

Are any of these minority channels on Sirius or is it just XM?
  14. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

This will affect whether I do or not. If there isn't anything worth paying $12-15 a month for, and it's just FM Radio without commercials, then what's the point? Especially when there are other alternatives that are lower cost, or free?
  15. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I don't see this as a big deal really. The folks that have complained in this very thread admit they don't even listen to it or don't have the service at all. Okay!

I do listen to it occasionally, but it is what it is. I find it very repetitive and it will be available online should a really want to hear it. I am shocked they didn't ax Enlighten on channel 18, but maybe they will.
  16. SIRIUSaboutXM

17. ai4i

ai4i Member

Contrary to what was posted, we are not getting XM channel 143 on an older receiver without service ???
    Oh, it looks like ??? does not produce a smiley scratching its head on this board!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  18. Chob

Chob Well-Known Member

That's sad to hear. I really enjoyed it for the brief time it was on Sirius and loved the Star Wars weekend. I'm the kind of person that'll look up movie/game soundtracks online and just listen to those for a while.

I recommend checking out radioIO's "Soundtracks." You can listen for free to the 64 kb stream.
  19. SIRIUSaboutXM

New show on Cinemagic- I guess this online channel is not completely automated. Maybe Dave Z is keeping this channel active for possibility of receiving it on 2.0 radios.

The Cartoon Collective Show
    Sat 9-10am, Mon 11am-noon & 11pm-midnight
    Music from all sorts of animated shows and movies. The music ranges from classic Looney Tunes music all the way up to the latest from Pixar and Dreamworks animation. (1 hr)
  20. SIRIUSaboutXM

Cinemagic, channel 750 online and also on the mobile apps, will have a musical tribute to the late Tony Scott starting at 2PM by playing scores from his movies. He was a wonderful director who apparently took his own life today. He is the brother of Ridley Scott. Mr. Scott we will be missed by movie fans all over.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.