Re: Important Information About Your Siriusxm Internet Radio

downsj

Nov 17, 2008
Received this email today:

Our records show that you may be listening to SiriusXM using a Sirius Stiletto. On September 30 we are improving the way we stream the SiriusXM Internet Radio service. The Stiletto is not capable of streaming the new enhanced service. To ensure you don't have any interruption in listening, we recommend you download the new mobile app that will let you to listen to SiriusXM on your smartphone, tablet, PC or current internet-connected sound system.

It goes on a bit about alternatives, etc. This appears to be related to the impending shutdown of the WMA legacy streams.

That said, I got this email even though I'm using an SL2, which according to What are the computer requirements for streaming SiriusXM? What devices are supported? is still going to work.

I started an online chat, but the idiot on the other end didn't know how to do anything other than tell me to call listener care, which isn't likely to be any more helpful.

Anyone know if an SL2 w/ "Internet Premium" is still going to be able to stream come October?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I believe that the stream will be off for sure.
Did you try the Advanced Customer Care number? (It's floating around on our forum somewhere.)
If anyone can let you know what your options are, it will be them.

downsj

Nov 17, 2008
I have not. The regular agent put me on hold until it was time to go home, apparently. They didn't at all understand my problem, anyway.

I think I'm going to write them a letter and request they xfer the lifetime sub to my car (killing it, I know, but at least the car would be free), and that I'm not willing to pay any xfer fees since this is due to their changes, not mine.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Try the Sirius Advanced Tech Support line at (855) 260-5969. They stand a better chance of helping you than the regular support line. They have the knowledge and authorization to do more to help resolve issues.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Support: Stiletto? What in the hell is a Stilleto? Like your shoe doesn't receive the internet stream anymore? Let me check my manual real quick.

Reactions: Casual Fan

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
They may have an offer to make the internet cheap (or free) for subscribers that are getting their radios internet shut off. It's worth asking.

AlbanyHDTV

Oct 29, 2008
Albany, NY
www.albanyhdtv.com
They may have an offer to make the internet cheap (or free) for subscribers that are getting their radios internet shut off. It's worth asking.

I have a lifetime subscription on my Stiletto2 and received the same message from Sirius. The note says to download the app to continue listening via the Internet.

I downloaded the app and am listening to Howard Stern via my iPhone right now without ever having paid a internet listening fee.

My guess is they grandfathered the Stiletto2 owners into free internet listening.

Reactions: Vols44

AlbanyHDTV

Oct 29, 2008
Albany, NY
www.albanyhdtv.com
Here's the entire message from SiriusXM:

a0b660811691ca46886d374d8b44f2b6.jpg

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Good stuff Albany. :thumbup:
The lifetimers were to have free internet. Those without may be able to negotiate free or discounted internet since SXM is shutting the internet off on the Stilettos. It can't hurt to ask.

Reactions: Casual Fan

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I have a lifetime subscription on my Stiletto2 and received the same message from Sirius. The note says to download the app to continue listening via the Internet.

I downloaded the app and am listening to Howard Stern via my iPhone right now without ever having paid a internet listening fee.

My guess is they grandfathered the Stiletto2 owners into free internet listening.

I like the fact your listening on your phone for free since lifetimers received a free 32k stream. I'll have to give it a try in the future. I've used one transfer own a SL2 and have a back up so I hope it will be a long time before streaming is necessary. Free 128k is better than $4 X 12= $48 per year.

I'll log on to my desktop tomorrow and see if that stream is intact.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I have mostly good news to report. The PC stream is quick, rich and quality. My Stiletto has a message on every channel that says, "Please listen to this important message", which explains the need for hardware upgrades to receive the enhanced streaming service.

It directed me to load the app for free, log in and listen on my phone which I successfully completed. I bought my lifetime in 2008 which included a 32kb internet stream for free. I'll take the streaming to a phone knowing my Stilettos won't last forever, but my sub will.

Reactions: HecticArt

downsj

Nov 17, 2008
I successfully went the other way around: I had to write a sternly worded letter (on paper!), but I got my Lifetime sub transferred for free. It's dead now that it's on a car, but I don't really care... The car is now free for as long as it and the head unit last, which should be a long time. Considering that I got the Lifetime sub in 2009, I've gotten my money worth from it already-- this is just bonus.

downsj

Nov 17, 2008
I'm probably going to try and sell the otherwise still functional SL2, I just need to find all of the accessories.