Report: SiriusXM Satellite Radio 2.0 to launch next month

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What's the deal with the sat they put up for Sirius last year? The ones that are still useful? Are they going to broadcast over all the sats? If not, will they lease the other sats to Dr Evil?
That last Sirius sat the put up is a full spectrum satellite, so it can do one or the other or both services. So, they will use it. I've heard some of the others will end up getting parked for spares and backups.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The FCC approved the royalty fees to be passed along at the rate specified by Sirius XM. There was nothing under handed about it as they stuck to the agreement and had to seek FCC approval to pass those fees along which was granted.

Those royalty fees are going to go up too, because if they are going to offer an on-demand service they will start paying what ever one of these other music service pay and that is a lot more than they pay now.
They chose a different interpretation that the intended interpretation to get more money. In the end the FCC used wording that was to imprecise in the agreement. SXMdidn't do anything illegal (although they did settle the class action on this rather than testing it in court btw) but certainly violated the spirtit of the FCC agreement. It is what businesses do these days. Get away with as much as they can.

I am assuming that if you subscribe to SXM 2.0 you will pay on-demand royaltee fees. For people like me who stick with SXM 1.0 I expect little or no change. (Actually, I will pay a lot less because the minute they turn off XM repeaters, I will cancel my month to month sub and just use my lifetimes.)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am assuming that if you subscribe to SXM 2.0 you will pay on-demand royaltee fees. For people like me who stick with SXM 1.0 I expect little or no change. (Actually, I will pay a lot less because the minute they turn off XM repeaters, I will cancel my month to month sub and just use my lifetimes.)
No I doubt if Sirius will be able to say oh we have these subscribes on Sirius XM 1.0 and these subscribers on Sirius XM 2.0. I think whatever royalty fees that they negotiate will be for the service as whole. Now there maybe a higher fee for those doing on-demand, but the service is going to pay more for royalty feels because right now they are on some sort of default fee schedule that they have no control over, but it is much lower than it should be at least according to RIAA.

I've only got one sub and currently I am using the XM Skydock. I seen the writing on the wall about all these change two years ago. Many folks thought wrong about this when I kept saying eventually everything would move to the XM side.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No I doubt if Sirius will be able to say oh we have these subscribes on Sirius XM 1.0 and these subscribers on Sirius XM 2.0. I think whatever royalty fees that they negotiate will be for the service as whole. Now there maybe a higher fee for those doing on-demand, but the service is going to pay more for royalty feels because right now they are on some sort of default fee schedule that they have no control over, but it is much lower than it should be at least according to RIAA.

I've only got one sub and currently I am using the XM Skydock. I seen the writing on the wall about all these change two years ago. Many folks thought wrong about this when I kept saying eventually everything would move to the XM side.
I have only 1 Sirius radio. I will see what they do for me. If their plans are as leaked, I will be pretty much out of the satrad game come next summer on the XM side (no repeaters) and 2015 on the Sirius side (my SL2). I will use the lifetime subs as a way to get $3/mo internet streams and nothing more. My son will be pissed he won't be able to go to sleep listening to Kids Place Live but he may grow out of it in a couple of years anyway.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
The following radios are 2.0-Ready:
Audiovox XMp3i
Audiovox XpressRCi
XM Onyx

My guess is that we'll get a way overdue firmware update to these radios next month:bigclap:
I don't think this is the case. But not 100%.

The XM Edge is kinda 2.0. But still not fully. The Starmate 8 is NOT 2.0. I hope people don't buy it assuming it is.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Brad: it's my understanding these new channels will be online only until the 2.0 bandwidth is opened up, when the repeaters and sirius sats stop working in 2012, that way the bandwidth can be put towards the 2.0 HM frequency or whatever. So, if these older '2.0' compatible radios are truly 2.0 comapitble, we still won't get to see the benefits until it goes into full swing with the 1.0 radios and Fm repeaters are shut down.
Where is the info on this? I never saw an article on it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Where is the info on this? I never saw an article on it.
I think he is repeating stuff he is reading over at XMFan.

Any word on XM Skydock? Does this require a different chipset or can the software be updated for this? If push comes to shove I may consider a new PNP tuner to get those extra channels from the sats.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
People have gotten way outta control in believing a lot of web rumors. Cmon guys! Do you really think Sirius is shutting down it's Satellites? It's ridiculous. They are actually putting up a Stationary Sat in the future. It's going to be 2 Stationary Sirius and 2 Stationary XM and 1 backup.

Please someone watch over Krpytonite when I'm gone since he will believe ANYTHING.

That said the new Sirius unit is just like the XM Onyx, just with the replay feature. It's not 2.0. The XM Edge is just like the Xpress RCi but with the capability of the 30 Extra channels.......then their is another radio and that's the one with Wifi and Bluetooth. THAT'S the one that is ALL 2.0 and it's SPECTACULAR ;)

Reactions: Aaron

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
People have gotten way outta control in believing a lot of web rumors. Cmon guys! Do you really think Sirius is shutting down it's Satellites? It's ridiculous. They are actually putting up a Stationary Sat in the future. It's going to be 2 Stationary Sirius and 2 Stationary XM and 1 backup.

Please someone watch over Krpytonite when I'm gone since he will believe ANYTHING.

That said the new Sirius unit is just like the XM Onyx, just with the replay feature. It's not 2.0. The XM Edge is just like the Xpress RCi but with the capability of the 30 Extra channels.......then their is another radio and that's the one with Wifi and Bluetooth. THAT'S the one that is ALL 2.0 and it's SPECTACULAR ;)
I said that the last sat put up with a full spectrum sat and the next one will be too, so that they can make use of the full spectrum, eventually it won't be Sirius Sat or XM Sats it will be Sirius XM sats period! However, the Sirius Radio Service it being phased out in favor of the XM Radio Service for lack of a better way to spell it out.

I am liking the sound of that All 2.0 with Wifi and Bluetooth, that should be a fun one to review! Reminds me of the good old days of SL10, SL100 and SL2. hehehe

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
There is NO WAY they would stop activating Sirius 1.0 Radios in 2012. They might stop making them. Here's reasons why that would be BOGUS.

-They aren't going to turn down $$ from customers. There are literally Millions of unactivated Sirius 1.0 radios. Most of them are OEM. Even in 2012 OEM will STILL be producing 1.0 radios. And probably through 2012-2013.
-The SCC1 and some other Sirius radios are going to be produced well into 2012.
-Retailers would flip out if the product they sold became so obsolete that in fact it couldn't be used.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Where did this rollout blueprint that was posted actually come from? I know I seen it over on XM Fan, but I've never seen it officially posted on Sirius XM 's web site unless I just missed it.

Are you saying this rollout blueprint is not accurate?

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I said that the last sat put up with a full spectrum sat and the next one will be too, so that they can make use of the full spectrum, eventually it won't be Sirius Sat or XM Sats it will be Sirius XM sats period! However, the Sirius Radio Service it being phased out in favor of the XM Radio Service for lack of a better way to spell it out.

I am liking the sound of that All 2.0 with Wifi and Bluetooth, that should be a fun one to review! Reminds me of the good old days of SL10, SL100 and SL2. hehehe
It was cool I got to meet a guy last year who is in charge of the Satellite configuration. He was telling me how both will be stationary. I asked if that meant that the XM Sat setup was better and he specifically pointed out they don't use "better" just more beneficial to the company. Making the Sats like that will affect some in a positive way and some in a negative way depending on where you use the service and how. But it seems like it's a slightly more cost effective way to do it.

The Bluetooth and Wifi is the tip of the iceberg. This new 2.0 device is android based which will allow them to easily open source development for future functionality. I suspect if people adopt the new 2.0 unit people will have it majorly alter their listening habits. When I got my DVR it changed the way I watched TV and I ended up consuming more. I know this device will do the same. It just makes it so damn easy to go out and find programming and listen to more of it. If a Stern fan for example buy this to grab the shows On Demand. They will quickly be hooked and probably get into other content more as well.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The Bluetooth and Wifi is the tip of the iceberg. This new 2.0 device is android based which will allow them to easily open source development for future functionality. I suspect if people adopt the new 2.0 unit people will have it majorly alter their listening habits. When I got my DVR it changed the way I watched TV and I ended up consuming more. I know this device will do the same. It just makes it so damn easy to go out and find programming and listen to more of it. If a Stern fan for example buy this to grab the shows On Demand. They will quickly be hooked and probably get into other content more as well.
Great, I am glad to hear that it is Android an not some proprietary OS like the Stiletto's used because as you said it will allow for open development. Who knows I may finally end up with an Android device after all. hehehe

The on-demand for Sirius XM certainly does sound interesting and like you said it will change the way people listen no doubt about it.

This is a good conversation and I hope this all creates some excitement again. All those radios rolling out over the years use to really be a great and exciting time in sat radio.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Where did this rollout blueprint that was posted actually come from? I know I seen it over on XM Fan, but I've never seen it officially posted on Sirius XM 's web site unless I just missed it.

Are you saying this rollout blueprint is not accurate?
There was a chart that someone had posted within the last few weeks. I remember reading it while I was on vacation. It talked about the phasing out of repeaters and I think birds (but I don't remember any details.) It was in one of the 2.0 threads somewhere. I just spent some time trying to find it again, with no luck. I have no clue where it originated.

It was cool I got to meet a guy last year who is in charge of the Satellite configuration. He was telling me how both will be stationary. I asked if that meant that the XM Sat setup was better and he specifically pointed out they don't use "better" just more beneficial to the company. Making the Sats like that will affect some in a positive way and some in a negative way depending on where you use the service and how. But it seems like it's a slightly more cost effective way to do it.

Man, it sounds like 2.0 is going to have a lot more features that I thought it would have!

Great, I am glad to hear that it is Android an not some proprietary OS like the Stiletto's used because as you said it will allow for open development. Who knows I may finally end up with an Android device after all. hehehe

The on-demand for Sirius XM certainly does sound interesting and like you said it will change the way people listen no doubt about it.

This is a good conversation and I hope this all creates some excitement again. All those radios rolling out over the years use to really be a great and exciting time in sat radio.
I was excited before, but I think I might have just tinkled a little bit. :jj:
Now I want to know WHEN! ! !

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It sounds like it an absolute rumor with legs.
For what its worth I told my wife who e-mailed Greg Bell PD from Old Time Radio (her favorite channel and her reason for having XM) and he said that he hadn't heard anything about XM shutting down repeaters. He said he would check with his bosses and would also press to have it included in the online service. Haven't heard back from him.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I don't think this is the case. But not 100%.

The XM Edge is kinda 2.0. But still not fully. The Starmate 8 is NOT 2.0. I hope people don't buy it assuming it is.
When SiriusXM came out with their ala carte and "Best of..." packages, they put indicators on the individual pages for those radios. I assume and hope that they would put a "2.0 compatible" logo on each page for such appropriate radios.

It seems that a lot of people think the iPhone 4 is 4G. They'll go into a phone store thinking it is. Hopefully, SiriusXM subscribers are more tech-savvy than the iPhone customers appear to be.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I passed the rumors onto some people at the company. The people I spoke to had the exact same reaction as I did. Then I saw the chart at XMFan. We are all speculating on a portion of a chart with no other explanation. You can't tell whom that chart was made for. And who knows when the chart was made. I still think the notion that all the old tuners won't be activated is ludicrous. The company from a financial standpoint would much rather have all the old tuners activated rather then sell new tuners. New tuners are subsidized, like many cell phones. They often cost more to produce than they sell for. The plan on them paying off by having people subscribe for X amount of months to pay off that subsidy.