Report: SiriusXM Satellite Radio 2.0 to launch next month

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
That's the one. No info on it's origins. Assumed insider info??????
I think things will get cleared up soon. But that chart could be old, and we don't know a lot about it. I know that for a while the Starmate 5 was supposed to be the last Sirius plug and play. That Sirius XM billing was to be merged a year ago. Those are things that were lofty goals but in fact sometimes things take longer happen.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think things will get cleared up soon. But that chart could be old, and we don't know a lot about it. I know that for a while the Starmate 5 was supposed to be the last Sirius plug and play. That Sirius XM billing was to be merged a year ago. Those are things that were lofty goals but in fact sometimes things take longer happen.
Amen. I believe it when I see it.
Till then, a boy can dream.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It seems that a lot of people think the iPhone 4 is 4G. They'll go into a phone store thinking it is. Hopefully, SiriusXM subscribers are more tech-savvy than the iPhone customers appear to be.
You are kidding yourself if you believe that folks that buy sat radio or even the least bit more tech savvy that someone buying and iPhone.

I passed the rumors onto some people at the company. The people I spoke to had the exact same reaction as I did. Then I saw the chart at XMFan. We are all speculating on a portion of a chart with no other explanation. You can't tell whom that chart was made for. And who knows when the chart was made. I still think the notion that all the old tuners won't be activated is ludicrous. The company from a financial standpoint would much rather have all the old tuners activated rather then sell new tuners. New tuners are subsidized, like many cell phones. They often cost more to produce than they sell for. The plan on them paying off by having people subscribe for X amount of months to pay off that subsidy.
I get what you are saying, but at some point if they really plan to move the service over to the XM side a hard decision is going to have to be made. It has always been my feeling that this would be years down the road, but this roadmap that was released on XM Fan which could be totally bunk for all we know, seems to indicate them busting a move sooner. I just think at some point Sirius XM is going to have to make a hard decision to let all those Sirius 1.0 radios go. That money was already spent, you can't recoup it now and expect to move forward to Sirius XM 2.0. They can ride both for a good period of time, but that about the best they can hope for.

The bottom line is that Sirius XM really does need to release a roadmap for subscribers. They can clearly say that this is there intent, but that the time frames and decisions could change. But at least folks would know what is legit and what isn't. I know if I purchased a radio right now to find out 2 month or even 3 months from now that there will be a new one that allows me to get up to 30 additional stations, I'd be kind of pissed.

Again you have to just bite the bullet and move forward just like they did with the channel lineups when they first merged. I know something they have to move slow on because of contracts and they also have to consider what to do with them reselling to Canada. So, you can't just jump into it, but you can certainly have a definitive plan. They have one it is just a matter of will they share it with us.

Last edited:

Satradiodude

Aug 7, 2011
should we be hearing some sort of PR about 2.0 details/launch dates soon if they intend of being ready for the holiday season?

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
They'll want to market the XMH before turkey day. Ditto vehicle kits to enable 2.0 reception. I'm waiting on the subscription plan details. Just as important is the verification the 2.0 compatibility of the XMp3i. Finish merging the billing departments and credit lifetime Sirius subscriptions and make me a lifetime fan/listener.

magleamin7

Oct 31, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well I am hoping that the whole shutdown of Sirius 1.0 is wrong; I have a SP5 in my Hyundai Accent that wroks perfectly fine. But I also have a XM Onxy and have been testing it in the car for a little while now and I can tell you here in Nova Scotia the reception sucks big time to the point that if they move to the XM system I will have to cancel because I will not get any reception in the car at all.
But what makes me think that it'll never happen is because Sirius Canada uses the same satelleties in the sky and they would have to do the same thing to them move them to XM as well because they use the same satellites as US, so I think its false information and will never happen (hopefully) :p

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
But what makes me think that it'll never happen is because Sirius Canada uses the same satelleties in the sky and they would have to do the same thing to them move them to XM as well because they use the same satellites as US, so I think its false information and will never happen (hopefully) :p
I think them moving those Sirius folks over to the XM side in Canada will be an ongoing process just like here in the states. Remember they did allow Sirius and XM to merge in Canada too. No way Sirius is going to continue to maintain that network just for Canada, so all the pieces are following into place to eventually make that switch, but again not anytime soon. There was a roadmap post which we later found out was likely nonsense. However, 1.0 as we know it will indeed eventually go bye bye.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This whole SXM 2.0 thing looks more like 1.001 to me...
Hang in there for the details. In addition to the on demand stuff, there are supposed to be some other cool things in the works.

I'm not sure why they aren't letting the cats out of the bag yet, but I'm ready to hear what's going on.

And I hate cats.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

michaelkap70

Apr 29, 2011
It sucks to be one of the Sirius network subscribers. If you want a newer radio, you have switch networks AND pay more for Stern and NFL. With the new radios you should have a choice for either XM or Sirius packages. I wish they never merged.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
It sucks to be one of the Sirius network subscribers. If you want a newer radio, you have switch networks AND pay more for Stern and NFL. With the new radios you should have a choice for either XM or Sirius packages. I wish they never merged.
Sirius radios will work til 2015 so subscription options are not at a t in the road til then. I waiting on the other cats to come out of the bag to see whats in store for the 10 million odd Sirius people.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sirius radios will work til 2015 so subscription options are not at a t in the road til then. I waiting on the other cats to come out of the bag to see whats in store for the 10 million odd Sirius people.
Probably longer than that. The 2015 date has been shown to be false or at least unverified.

jgboys1

Nov 28, 2008
Probably longer than that. The 2015 date has been shown to be false or at least unverified.
I think you are right. They are still selling Sirius radios and they came out with the Starmate 8 not to long ago. I am hoping for at least 10 more years of Sirius satellite service.