Report: SiriusXM Satellite Radio 2.0 to launch next month

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008
newsiriusxmlogo.jpg

According to Joseph Palenchar at Twice.com,*VP of retail sales Mike Roberts announced that Satellite Radio 2.0 will launch next month.

Robert’s said*the first universal tuner, intended for in-vehicle installation and connection to multiple brands of satellite-ready head units, will not support 2.0 service, but a new version will be available with 2.0 compatibility next year.

Satellite Radio 2.0 will offer 30 additional channels of service which will be transmitted through XM Radios satellites. Sirius Satellites will not broadcast the new service and Roberts expects auto makers currently offering Sirius*receivers to move to the XM platform. It has been a rumor that Sirius XM would slowly transition to the XM platform and Satellite Radio looks to be the first step to the transition.

As*previously*mentioned the two new Satellite Radio 2.0 receivers will offer*replay and time-shift functions (some current models already offer this*function). The additional channels will also be available through Sirius Xm online, these On-Demand Music and Talk channels should be available by early next year.

According to Roberts Sirius XM will use “Bandwidth Cloning” technology to offer these 30 additional channels with no loss in audio quality.

More*information as it becomes available.

---
View the original Article at Digital Radio Magazine or discuss it here.

SXMN

Mar 11, 2009
Pittsburgh PA
www.siriusxmnews.com
The original author on Twice reports that Robert's said 2.0 is launching next month but from the article it's unclear how this is going to happen. When I get more information I will post an update.

Really the most interesting part is that Robert's is saying 2.0 will not work on Sirius, only XM. Looks like 2.0 is going to start the official push to the XM platform.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sounds like a soft start for 2.0
At least they are finally moving forward.
I guess I keep my SL2 a bit longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Let's see how many YEARS they maintain the "best of XM/Sirius" even as the radios merge. Nice little way to get extra money from people.
They've already stopped that. It's now "Basic" and "Premier", as if Howard, NASCAR, etc. are like an HBO subscription to your cable.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Anyone heard any hints of what the new channels will be? We know 5-7 of the 30 new channels will be Spanish programming, but no clue on the other 23 or so.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Anyone heard any hints of what the new channels will be? We know 5-7 of the 30 new channels will be Spanish programming, but no clue on the other 23 or so.

You have it backwards. 23 of them will be Spanish and 5-7 of them will be interesting.

SXMN

Mar 11, 2009
Pittsburgh PA
www.siriusxmnews.com

From what I hear a good portion will be On-Demand music channels that will work with the new technology. It's all speculation until an official release/channel guide is launched though.

Edit: Looks like the 30 channels will be available on the SiriusXM App so we should know by next month. Word is the two new radios will also be launched next month.

Last edited:

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
The original author on Twice reports that Robert's said 2.0 is launching next month but from the article it's unclear how this is going to happen. When I get more information I will post an update.

Really the most interesting part is that Robert's is saying 2.0 will not work on Sirius, only XM. Looks like 2.0 is going to start the official push to the XM platform.
The following radios are 2.0-Ready:
Audiovox XMp3i
Audiovox XpressRCi
XM Onyx

My guess is that we'll get a way overdue firmware update to these radios next month:bigclap:

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Brad: it's my understanding these new channels will be online only until the 2.0 bandwidth is opened up, when the repeaters and sirius sats stop working in 2012, that way the bandwidth can be put towards the 2.0 HM frequency or whatever. So, if these older '2.0' compatible radios are truly 2.0 comapitble, we still won't get to see the benefits until it goes into full swing with the 1.0 radios and Fm repeaters are shut down.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
If the Xmp3i is indeed 2.0 ready that's step one in my favor. If/when my SL-2 dies the Best Buy warranty will award me the mp31. Step two would be the merged billing departments and recognition for Sirius lifetimers. An insufficiently sweetened carrot (new channel package) will not lure me into paying for an XM subscription. The worst case scenario would be the expiration of 1.0 reception in 2015. A lot (Howard's contract) can/will happen in the next four years.

I like the option to receive new channels online even if I can't presently record them to an SL-2.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
I'd be interested to hear if Taylor has head anything about new radios coming down the chain.

I'm willing to bet these radios will be closer to the $200 price range and that the monthly fee will be higher. Of course, I could be wrong on both of these things and I hope I am. They could leverage these new channels as a reason for a price increase next year. (14.95 p/month?)

I hope it works with the XM connect for iPhone, that would be awesome!

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
Why would you not like the excitement of new content being added ?

I didn't see anyone else answer this so I will:

The current channels are already over compressed as it is. They could sound a lot better if we had fewer channels. Adding 30 more to the satellites will only make it worse.

When they get Sirius radios offline and then go with the 2.0 setup it won't be a bit deal as they'll have increased bandwidth.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
The current channels are already over compressed as it is. They could sound a lot better if we had fewer channels. Adding 30 more to the satellites will only make it worse.

Read carefully: Sirius XM will use “Bandwidth Cloning†technology to offer these 30 additional channels with no loss in audio quality.

When they get Sirius radios offline and then go with the 2.0 setup it won't be a bit deal as they'll have increased bandwidth.
??

Actually, on the XM side, music channels have been sounding better than usual lately even with all the extra sports (NFL, College Football).

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Read carefully: Sirius XM will use “Bandwidth Cloning†technology to offer these 30 additional channels with no loss in audio quality.

??

Actually, on the XM side, music channels have been sounding better than usual lately even with all the extra sports (NFL, College Football).

Your obvservation of cm sounding good with the last round of added channels might be another example of xm usiing the bandwidth cloning on the xm side.

Last edited: