Report: SiriusXM Satellite Radio 2.0 to launch next month

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
what the hell is bandwidth cloning and can we use it to get all the channels up to 128kbps minimum????

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
The following radios are 2.0-Ready:
Audiovox XMp3i
Audiovox XpressRCi
XM Onyx

My guess is that we'll get a way overdue firmware update to these radios next month:bigclap:
Why is the XMp3i 2.0 ready and not the XMp3 ? Is it because of the firmware ? If i have to pay to get the same radio but with updated software I will be pissed.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I hope the XMp3 is indeed 2.0 ready. I am also wondering since the XM Skydock is basically software based and can be upgraded if it too will be able to access 2.0 content.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So basically, a ton of Howard fans who still have Sirius stuff will have to get new radios next year? That's gonna piss off a lot of people.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I hope that's not the case. I doubt they would do that...but nothing surprises me anymore.

Well, when they kill the Sirius satellites next year, the radios get shut down, right? I'd like to see Howard explain that one. But wait... He has his iPhone, so he's set. :p

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Well, when they kill the Sirius satellites next year, the radios get shut down, right? I'd like to see Howard explain that one. But wait... He has his iPhone, so he's set. :p

I thought the plan was to migrate the Sirius signals to geostationary satellites that are over the equator (like XM), rather than the current elliptical constellation.

Right now I believe it's one of three elliptical satellites on at any given time and one geostationary.

I did not think the Sirius signal itself would go away, just the delivery mechanism would change. Am I mistaken?

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
Don't quote me on this but I do believe that when Sirius and XM were wanting the merger they told the FCC that existing customers would NEVER have to buy new radios, which I imagine was one of the requirements that the FCC put on Sirius to allow the merger.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Don't quote me on this but I do believe that when Sirius and XM were wanting the merger they told the FCC that existing customers would NEVER have to buy new radios, which I imagine was one of the requirements that the FCC put on Sirius to allow the merger.

They also said they would never raise the prices and there would be a wide assortment of a-la-carte radios available. I think its clear they told the FCC what the FCC wanted to hear with enough weasal words to get out of it.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
They never said they would never raise prices, they only agreed to that term (2 years?). I think they said they wanted to do a la carte options, but I don't know if that ever made it into the agreement..and I think those will still come as I don't think they ever gave a timeline for them.

The only thing sneaky IMHO that Sirius has done was they promised they would make a radio that would work for both services, which they did. But they really just made it, they don't market it at all. Kind of sneaky, but within guidelines.

Anyways, we're getting off subject I suppose.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They never said they would never raise prices, they only agreed to that term (2 years?). I think they said they wanted to do a la carte options, but I don't know if that ever made it into the agreement..and I think those will still come as I don't think they ever gave a timeline for them.

The only thing sneaky IMHO that Sirius has done was they promised they would make a radio that would work for both services, which they did. But they really just made it, they don't market it at all. Kind of sneaky, but within guidelines.

Anyways, we're getting off subject I suppose.

3 years. But they did do music royaly fees which were actually more than what was allowed by the FCC. They were allowed to pass on increases in the fee. They passed on the whole fee.

It was a ridiculous condition given that the services are 99% identical.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I liked it better when they were two separate companies.

I kinda like that also, but I couldn't stand exclusive content on one satellite company over the other! Like in the past, which I recall. Sirius had NFL, NBA and NASCAR and XM had MLB and NHL. I didn't like it when Sirius lost the NHL to XM and I wanted to pick up MLB games, but I didn't want to subscribe to XM for that.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
What's the deal with the sat they put up for Sirius last year? The ones that are still useful? Are they going to broadcast over all the sats? If not, will they lease the other sats to Dr Evil?

Satradiodude

Aug 7, 2011
With Oct fast approaching to the launch of Sirius 2.0- being a lifetime subscriber on the Sirius side- There are a few questions I hope the press release and SXM will be able to address:

1- 30 new channels planned- (some Latino, others TBD)- What will be the ala-carte price for the add on + On demand?, or will they add on as part of Sirius 2.0? (probably not)

3-With Sirius 2.0 available will the internet only streams be available on the actual device? (As it has been mentioned that 2.0 will support Wi-fi and bluetooth)

2- Can you purchase Yearly, or lifetime with add on?

3- I would like to know if they will offer the Internet stream on Smartphones as a package deal if you purchase the 2.0 ala-carte package?

3- Will the existing Car, Home, Boomboxes still be compatible with Sirius 2.0 or you will have to purchase all over again and no retro fit capability?

4-They mentioned there will be 2 versions- would like details on the differences

I guess we will know soon :)

Reactions: Aaron

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
3 years. But they did do music royaly fees which were actually more than what was allowed by the FCC. They were allowed to pass on increases in the fee. They passed on the whole fee.

It was a ridiculous condition given that the services are 99% identical.

The FCC approved the royalty fees to be passed along at the rate specified by Sirius XM. There was nothing under handed about it as they stuck to the agreement and had to seek FCC approval to pass those fees along which was granted.

Those royalty fees are going to go up too, because if they are going to offer an on-demand service they will start paying what ever one of these other music service pay and that is a lot more than they pay now.