Report: SiriusXM Satellite Radio 2.0 to launch next month

michaelkap70

Apr 29, 2011
My point is the new radios should have a programming option, you pick either xm or sirius programming. They are forcing Sirius people if they want a better radio, to up their subscription to keep what they already had with their old radio. I can't seeing them add a fourth programming option, them adding SiriusXM shows their future intent.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think you are right. They are still selling Sirius radios and they came out with the Starmate 8 not to long ago. I am hoping for at least 10 more years of Sirius satellite service.

What will change is that about 2015 it will be geostationary sats only. The 3 geosyncronous ones that service those of us with N windows so nicely will be retired within the next 2-3 years due to end of life of those birds.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My point is the new radios should have a programming option, you pick either xm or sirius programming. They are forcing Sirius people if they want a better radio, to up their subscription to keep what they already had with their old radio. I can't seeing them add a fourth programming option, them adding SiriusXM shows their future intent.

If they can do best of, they can do this. XM has almost all Sirius channels. They can block the XM only ones for a 'Sirius' sub.

I think what they will go to is SXM programming with some of the programming being labeled premium and available for extra fee. You want sports or Stern, you pay extra. I actually figured they would do this before they raised their overall rate (kept the $12.95 but made it offer less).

jgboys1

Nov 28, 2008
What will change is that about 2015 it will be geostationary sats only. The 3 geosyncronous ones that service those of us with N windows so nicely will be retired within the next 2-3 years due to end of life of those birds.

So the old Sirus radios work with the new geostationary sats?

I have a few old Sportster Replay radios that are still working great.

Hate to lose them.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If they can do best of, they can do this. XM has almost all Sirius channels. They can block the XM only ones for a 'Sirius' sub.

I think what they will go to is SXM programming with some of the programming being labeled premium and available for extra fee. You want sports or Stern, you pay extra. I actually figured they would do this before they raised their overall rate (kept the $12.95 but made it offer less).

If Howard retires at the end of 2015, hopefully they'll still have something on his channels (other uncensored talk? various specials? who the hell knows?)

Anyway, I know a LOT of people would love there to be a "Howard Stern Package" where all you get is Howard 100, Howard 101 and a preview channel. If they don't want to alienate more customers, why not do this? In fact, it may bring more people into the company. Make it $5 or $6 per month, but that's all you get. No 2.0, no sports, no music. Nothing extra.

In a way, we kind of are already paying extra. The ala carte stuff is $10.95, right?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
If Howard retires at the end of 2015, hopefully they'll still have something on his channels (other uncensored talk? various specials? who the hell knows?)

Anyway, I know a LOT of people would love there to be a "Howard Stern Package" where all you get is Howard 100, Howard 101 and a preview channel. If they don't want to alienate more customers, why not do this? In fact, it may bring more people into the company. Make it $5 or $6 per month, but that's all you get. No 2.0, no sports, no music. Nothing extra.

In a way, we kind of are already paying extra. The ala carte stuff is $10.95, right?

I don't even know if they still offer true a-la-carte. But yes they could offer several combo packs at various price points and make more money. But they have never been great marketers.

rpokane

Oct 27, 2008
Not meaning to hijack but it was asked earlier in this thread if the SkyDock would be upgraded for 2.0. I didn't see any answer. Does anyone know?

For the online portion of the service, I was really hoping they offered a listening choice: Live or Jukebox.
So, you could either listen to the live stream, or access their music library for that channel and manipulate it yourself (like Slacker).

This would be my SXM 2.0

T

tdevine

Not meaning to hijack but it was asked earlier in this thread if the SkyDock would be upgraded for 2.0. I didn't see any answer. Does anyone know?

Nope. Only the Edge and Lynx are 2.0 radios at the moment.

satradiouser1

Sep 29, 2011
Is siriusxm really getting away from sirius side of things?

I am wondering if siriusxm is really getting away and rid of the sirius side of things?
And does that 2015 date really mean anything?
Or is it just fake?
Thanks.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's pretty doubtful that they will turn off the Sirius side by 2015.
That date was posted on another site and has been pretty well verified as not-accurate.

There seems to be a lot of open questions about when and how things will happen, but it's anticipated that they will stop selling Sirius only equipment at some point and then keep broadcasting from that spectrum for quite some time.

Eventually, everything is anticipated on being broadcast from the XM side.

Just for housekeeping, I'm going to merge this thread with the other one that's talking about this.
Feel free to pick up the conversation here:
http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/siriusxm-2-0/15660-report-siriusxm-satellite-radio-2-0-launch-next-month.html

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It's pretty doubtful that they will turn off the Sirius side by 2015.
That date was posted on another site and has been pretty well verified as not-accurate.

There seems to be a lot of open questions about when and how things will happen, but it's anticipated that they will stop selling Sirius only equipment at some point and then keep broadcasting from that spectrum for quite some time.

Eventually, everything is anticipated on being broadcast from the XM side.

Just for housekeeping, I'm going to merge this thread with the other one that's talking about this.
Feel free to pick up the conversation here:
http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/siriusxm-2-0/15660-report-siriusxm-satellite-radio-2-0-launch-next-month.html

The 2015 comes from the geosyncronous sats end of life. Sirius will still broadcast but from fixed position sats.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The 2015 comes from the geosyncronous sats end of life. Sirius will still broadcast but from fixed position sats.

I thought that there were no firm dates for any of the equipment.
Either way, if you have a Sirius receiver now and 4 years from now, it should still be working. You may not be able to buy a NEW radio that receives Sirius only signal, but that's a different story.

My Lynx is on a truck! :blob1: My Lynx is on a truck!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I thought that there were no firm dates for any of the equipment.
Either way, if you have a Sirius receiver now and 4 years from now, it should still be working. You may not be able to buy a NEW radio that receives Sirius only signal, but that's a different story.

My Lynx is on a truck! :blob1: My Lynx is on a truck!

Its simple math. The sats were launched in 2000 with 15 year lifespan. They may last a bit longer. They may not.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm glad that TSS Radio is now selling the Lynx. But unfortunately my job is winding down and hopefully I can find a new job soon, then I can finally order one soon.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Its simple math. The sats were launched in 2000 with 15 year lifespan. They may last a bit longer. They may not.

They have sent more up. I think #5 went up in 2009 and #6 went up in 2010.
One or both may be capable ob broadcasting both Sirius and XM signal independently. I think we had a thread. I'll poke around in a little bit.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They have sent more up. I think #5 went up in 2009 and #6 went up in 2010.
One or both may be capable ob broadcasting both Sirius and XM signal independently. I think we had a thread. I'll poke around in a little bit.

Correct. These are geo-stationary sats. You point at the S window to get them. The original 3 doing those wierd geo-synchronous orbits which you can get from a N window are not being replaced. They are dead in 2015.

All new SXM sats will have capacity to broadcast both spectrums.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Correct. These are geo-stationary sats. You point at the S window to get them. The original 3 doing those wierd geo-synchronous orbits which you can get from a N window are not being replaced. They are dead in 2015.

All new SXM sats will have capacity to broadcast both spectrums.

Dead to you up in Toronto, but Sirius will still broadcast from satellites after 2015.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2