Rock 'n Roll HOF announces nominees

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I would actually not put anyone on that list in the HOF.
But you just know they'll select 5 of those names and further water down the honor of being a R&R HOF'er.

rickster53

Oct 16, 2008
Syracuse,NY
I would actually not put anyone on that list in the HOF.
But you just know they'll select 5 of those names and further water down the honor of being a R&R HOF'er.

From that list, I would say that Cooper actually deserves it. The rest are simply on the ballot because TPTB at the HoF like them.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
No Rush, No Warren Zevon, And Bon Jovi got in before KISS?? :rofl2:

Hell I'd put Def Leppard in before Bon Jovi.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Rush should have come before Bon Jovi for craps sake.
Posted via Mobile Device

John Bon Jovi probably listened to Rush when he was a kid.

True test of HOF worthiness? Hearing interviews of modern rockers state a band (like Rush) as a reason they pursued a music career. I have heard a few that said "When I first heard 2112....". I can't recall anyone being interviewed saying that Bon Jovi moved them in a way that kicked off a career.

The "recorded music since 1950" hall of fame jumped the shark after they ran out of the "no brainers". They guys who determine the candidates obviously aren't into the "prog" movement: no Yes, no Rush, no King Crimson.

Road Hog

Nov 9, 2008
Massachusetts
It is ridiculous that Rush isn't even nominated, let alone a unanimous vote of approval.

But the rock critics who vote initially refused to nominate Bob Seger for the longest time. Public backlash at that ommission eventually made them cave and Seger's now in. Eventually Rush will get in. Of all the ommissions, that's the biggest one out there right now, I think.

There are certain artists that just aren't considered "cool" or "hip" enough to the New York rock critics - like Bob Seger and Rush.

Last edited:

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
So lame.
The only one still on the list that belongs in a Hall of Fame is Alice Cooper. He's too cool for the Rock n Roll Hall of Lame!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnMFO7neDYM]YouTube - Rock N Roll Hall Of Lame - Mojo Nixon[/ame]

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
From EddieTrunk.com

" Neil Diamond and Alice Cooper have both been eligible for over fifteen years — and only Rush and KISS fans have been more outspoken about the exclusion of their favorite band. “I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should be calling me,†Cooper said in 2002. “I think I'm being blackballed. But it's great to be the Pete Rose of rock and roll.†Last year the Hall of Fame inducted other the long-overlooked acts Genesis, the Stooges, the Hollies, Jimmy Cliff and ABBA. "

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
From EddieTrunk.com

" Neil Diamond and Alice Cooper have both been eligible for over fifteen years — and only Rush and KISS fans have been more outspoken about the exclusion of their favorite band. “I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should be calling me,†Cooper said in 2002. “I think I'm being blackballed. But it's great to be the Pete Rose of rock and roll.†Last year the Hall of Fame inducted other the long-overlooked acts Genesis, the Stooges, the Hollies, Jimmy Cliff and ABBA. "

I was watching him on That Metal Show yesterday railing on the HOF. What a joke that place has become.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I was watching him on That Metal Show yesterday railing on the HOF. What a joke that place has become.

Yeah, he hates it. Have to say that I agree. It's really a lot like the music industry these days - a big joke that needs rethinking.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yeah, he hates it. Have to say that I agree. It's really a lot like the music industry these days - a big joke that needs rethinking.

I think they are just desperate to expand their market. My guess is that they aren't getting enough visitors from rock fans alone, so they are trying to open it up to a broader market. That and stretch out the big names that they are inducting. If they take all of the good names in the first few years there won't be many left to keep the following years ceremonies any fun. It's kind of ruining it for me personally, but they never asked me to be a consultant. What eves.

I did score tickets to see Rush this April. They're playing Moving Pictures in it's entirety. I'm really looking forward to it.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I think they are just desperate to expand their market. My guess is that they aren't getting enough visitors from rock fans alone, so they are trying to open it up to a broader market. That and stretch out the big names that they are inducting. If they take all of the good names in the first few years there won't be many left to keep the following years ceremonies any fun. It's kind of ruining it for me personally, but they never asked me to be a consultant. What eves.

I did score tickets to see Rush this April. They're playing Moving Pictures in it's entirety. I'm really looking forward to it.

If they are expanding the market, then they should just rebrand it as the Music Hall of Fame. Might help them out a bit - have a few wings devoted to all types of music.

As for Rush, I dig those guys - but man, $100 minimum for tickets is rough. Last time they were here at Pine Knob (DTE to you youngsters) it was something like $75. There are bands that I REALLY like that I'd have a hard time laying down that kinda money for, especially at a place as huge as The Palace of Auburn Hills, where they are playing this time.

Hope you have a great time though. I saw them once, and it was a great show.