Sad Stuff

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This is exactly how a feel dealing with my dad (and I assume he feels the same) on a weekly/daily basis. Very well said.
Thanks, but re-reading it, I realize it's misleading, because I'm happy for every day I have her around (and I'm sure you feel the same about your dad), and we're super proud of who she is. I meant that our parenting role has not ended, because she's still living with us, and that can be difficult at times. But I know that when she's on her own, I'll miss her very much.

Reactions: memebag

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Last night, I looked-up some of the old threads around here. That Beer Talk thread really goes back a ways! Nice job Hyson! But the forum was full of people then.

I saw where Meme posted about getting married in 2008, and also people wishing him a happy birthday. Oddly, both his wedding anniversary and birthday are nearly the same as mine.

Back then, I was in the Soundwave Cafe, then branched-out to Howard Stern, but didn't start posting here until 2014. And honestly - compared to the early days - it was already going downhill. But anyway, there were a lot of interesting characters around back then. And the whole satellite radio thing was still topical.

I like the group we have, but it's sad to see how vibrant this forum was, and how many people we spent time with, who are no longer here.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Jeez, that is a bummer.

So far my visit today has been to the Lonely Thread and here. Downer DRC morning.

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In its final few months of existence, the XM411 site was down to only five people who posted with any regularity. One of them was the moderator. Two other sites I could name -- but won't -- have thousands of members but only a small number of people who post regularly. DRC is no different. How can we get more people to participate here? Offer prizes? Have an NPR-style pledge drive? Award real trophies? Make threats? Start our own lottery? Throw a hissy-fit?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
All of the above?

I think web forums in general are on the decline. Facebook, twitter and whatnot have given people the capacity to host their own web presence without relying on some other group.

We lost a fair number of people with the last Obama election. (It wasn't his fault no matter what some of our old members would have said.) We realized that the political arguments were bleeding out into the rest of the forum and were really turning people off that were here for music and entertainment, not fighting over politics. So when the election was over, and one side couldn't say that we were picking sides, we outlawed political talk. (They still said we were picking sides....)

We outlawed religious talk too.....

Another thing that used to bring people here was the newness of satellite. New radios, programming, technical & install questions, and people customizing their cars and radios. Those were pretty exciting times for radio nerds like us.

When the Sirius Backstage was dying, Taylor and a few others wanted to keep it alive and started the DRC. The idea was to open it up more to electronic entertainment with the thought that new trends and other formats would bring people in, and raise participation. I think that may have diluted our mission a bit and may have made it a little unclear what our identity was all about.

We have a fair amount of people that visit the site regularly that read, but never post. When I look through the logs, I see people that joined the DRC pretty early on that are here weekly with low or no post counts. Glad to have them here no matter what.

We had someone that was digging up fresh content from the web for a while, but he didn't work out due to some personal issues, and I don't know if we really noticed any shift in participation.

TSS is still kind enough to pay the bills, but we don't send a lot of traffic their way, so we don't ask for much in terms of site upgrades. Aaron and I are volunteers, have families, jobs, & lives to deal with, so we don't have a lot of time to invest in creating content and site development. The way that forums are these days, I'm not sure if it would give us a boost or not.

That said, enjoy what we do have, feel free to make suggestions or introduce fresh content, and keep being cool to each other. Our community isn't huge, but we've got some good people that hang out here. I'm glad you're all here.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I appreciate Mister Hectic's detailed explanation. It is clear and factual and includes no threats, no name-calling and nothing that could be considered divisive or inflammatory. If Mister Hectic will agree to release his tax returns, I will nominate him for the Presidency of the United States. He is just the kind of person we need in the White House. And if he should win the election, think of all the participation this site will have! That will be an added benefit.

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Why am I not surprised? But the poll closed more than six years ago and nobody got a majority of the votes. We need to start a new poll. I would do it myself but you all know I'm not the poll starter I used to be.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Last night, I looked-up some of the old threads around here. That Beer Talk thread really goes back a ways! Nice job Hyson! But the forum was full of people then.

I saw where Meme posted about getting married in 2008, and also people wishing him a happy birthday. Oddly, both his wedding anniversary and birthday are nearly the same as mine.

Back then, I was in the Soundwave Cafe, then branched-out to Howard Stern, but didn't start posting here until 2014. And honestly - compared to the early days - it was already going downhill. But anyway, there were a lot of interesting characters around back then. And the whole satellite radio thing was still topical.

I like the group we have, but it's sad to see how vibrant this forum was, and how many people we spent time with, who are no longer here.

Forums in general are dying. It is so 2000s type of interface. But I like this place as long as it lasts.

But yes, satrad was a lot more cool to talk about back then.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I appreciate Mister Hectic's detailed explanation. It is clear and factual and includes no threats, no name-calling and nothing that could be considered divisive or inflammatory. If Mister Hectic will agree to release his tax returns, I will nominate him for the Presidency of the United States. He is just the kind of person we need in the White House. And if he should win the election, think of all the participation this site will have! That will be an added benefit.
Hectic already lost for president. But I think that was due to his running mate always making sure he was super punctual at his campaign stops and not stopping to really get to know the DRC electorate.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Personally my online presence consists of Facebook (even though that has its own issues thanks to that obnoxious twerp Zuckerberg!) and Reddit more than it does here. I still come here for the people, but wish for more activity here. The whole reason Theme Songs has been on hiatus is only a few regular members frequent the board, and even less of those played. Still have lots of ideas for categories, but not worth doing it if the activity level is down. Although, since I have been back subscribing with satellite radio it's one of the few places left I can come to discuss it without issue.

For no other reasons than I'll be busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, I'll probably be starting a new hiatus myself in the not too distant future. I've made some moves back into an old career which is taking the majority of my time (health care) and will be applying for nursing school in the future, which means I'll have very little social life or free time in the future. Figure my 44-year old ass better figure out something to do with my future, and it looks like I found that.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
We really need to thank TSS Taylor for keeping DRC going. Not sure how much it costs. Not sure if sales from TSS Radio are keeping it going.

I'm sure if it goes too expensive, it could always be shut down.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
At some point in time, we offered to donate money to keep it going. I believe it was politely turned down.

We really need to thank TSS Taylor for keeping DRC going. Not sure how much it costs. Not sure if sales from TSS Radio are keeping it going.

I'm sure if it goes too expensive, it could always be shut down.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Last night, I found out a good friend of mine from college shot himself.

Stupid, lovable bastard. God, ironically, the last time we hung out, we were at a shooting range with a great group of guys. No one knew.... his family DM'd me asking if I had any foreknowledge. It had been about 2 years since we hung out.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sorry about that hyson. Everybody always assumes one can see it coming. Truth is usually nobody does.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Sorry for the bad news. I had a coworker who became a good friend for several years. Then he moved out of the area, and I found out that he eventually met the same demise. It was really tough trying to reconcile what happened, among all the other coworkers who were friends with him.