Sadchild's "high fives" (every artist I like at least five songs from)

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Beatles

Genre: THE quintessential "rock and roll band" who pushed the boundaries of the genre in every possible direction

Discovered: No idea

Other: Massive respect for their work, but I don't listen to them often.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Here Comes The Sun
2. Yesterday
3. Eleanor Rigby
4. Penny Lane
5. Let It Be

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

Beatles

Genre: THE quintessential "rock and roll band" who pushed the boundaries of the genre in every possible direction

Discovered: No idea

Other: Massive respect for their work, but I don't listen to them often.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Here Comes The Sun
2. Yesterday
3. Eleanor Rigby
4. Penny Lane
5. Let It Be

This is the one band I wimped out on, and just declared "too many favorites". But lately I've been thinking I can just list my favorites from each album. This will help push me to do that.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Bell Biv Devoe

Genre: hip hop ("east coast mental", as they liked to call it)

Discovered: A couple friends.

Other: Only one good (half of an) album. But hey I like 5 songs on it, so here they are.

HIGH FIVE:

1. Do Me
2. Let Me Know Something
3. BBD (I Thought It Was Me)
4. Poison
5. Dope!

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Here's my collection of Ben Folds songs (solo). The only one I'm real familiar with is the Xmas song because I hear it a half dozen times each holiday season.

Ben Folds - Bizarre Christmas Incident.mp3
Ben Folds - Claire's Ninth.mp3
Ben Folds - From Above.mp3
Ben Folds - Jesusland.mp3
Ben Folds - The Luckiest (live).mp3
Ben Folds - Weather Channel Music.mp3
Ben Folds - Your Dogs.mp3

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Beth Orton

Genre: singer-songwriter

Discovered: My parents' cable had a video music channel I'd never heard of when I visited them out in California back in 1997 and "She Cries Your Name" came on.

Other: Most of her songs I like are on her first two albums (#5 below is a b-side of her first album, added to reissues years later).

HIGH FIVE:

1. She Cries Your Name
2. Stars All Seem To Weep
3. I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine
4. Central Reservation (Then Again Mix)
5. It's Not The Spotlight

Reactions: scotchandcigar

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com

Big Wreck

Genre: rock

Discovered: No idea.

Other: Didn't know them during their first run from '94 - '02. First heard them in '14, after they'd been reunited for a few years.

HIGH FIVE:

1. One Good Piece Of Me
2. Ghosts
3. You Don't Even Know
4. That Song
5. I Digress

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

Beth Orton

Genre: singer-songwriter

Discovered: My parents' cable had a video music channel I'd never heard of when I visited them out in California back in 1997 and "She Cries Your Name" came on.

Other: Most of her songs I like are on her first two albums (#5 below is a b-side of her first album, added to reissues years later).

HIGH FIVE:

1. She Cries Your Name
2. Stars All Seem To Weep
3. I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine
4. Central Reservation (Then Again Mix)
5. It's Not The Spotlight

At the risk of giving away one of my upcoming stories, a favorite song of mine features Beth Orton. The brilliant electronica master William Orbit scored his only US radio hit with this piece, featuring Orton from about halfway through.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That song came out while the two were still dating, and before her first album. This is my first time hearing it though (I recognized the title, because I wrote the Beth Orton bio for Genius). I dig it!
As you might imagine, there's an edited version for radio airplay.
I love the Strange Cargo disks. I didn't really know who Orton is, but I know her voice well.
Orbit is the shiz.
He collaborated with another artist I'll be talking about.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Orton's story is an interesting one.

At 19, Orton was invited to a party by an actress she was in a play with – a party thrown by producer William Orbit, who immediately became ‘obsessed’ with her. The two dated, and Orbit insisted she work with him – even flying to Thailand, when she’d became a Buddhist nun after her mother died, to convince her to return to the UK.

Their 1993 song “Water From A Vine Leaf” was a minor UK hit. The same year, the two also released “Don’t Wanna Know ‘bout Evil” under the name Spill – a song that later appeared on Superpinkymandy, a collection of downtempo electronic songs produced by Orbit and only released in Japan that is often not acknowledged as her first album.

Orton appeared on two songs on The Chemical Brothers' UK top 10 album Exit Planet Dust in 1995. By then, Orbit ‘wasn’t really into’ the songs Orton was writing at the time, so she formed a band and released a cover of The Ronettes song “I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine”. Her 1996 album Trailer Park followed and found success in the UK including her first top 40 song “She Cries Your Name”.