Sadchild's top 333 fav songs of all ever

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I've liked a lot of sadchild's non-metal selections. I guess my brain isn't wired to like the heaviest stuff. That's what makes us unique, it's been really fun hearing what everyone else enjoys. I've picked up a few new songs to listen to along the way.
Yes, I agree that it's interesting to see what people with different tastes from me are into. And I admit that I can enjoy Safety Dance today, and marvel in the insane number of hooks it contains.

Many of sadchild's favorite songs are much harder and heavier than what I like; but I have an adversion to pop. So while I like a lot of soft, folky music, I focus more on music structure and instrumentals than on hooks.

Obviously, my preferences aren't any better than anyone else's, since I like a lot of less popular music. But I must say, some people have interesting and unexpected tastes.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I feel the same about seeing other people's lists. I'm having a blast!

About 1/3 of people's lists I also love. About 1/3 are songs I see as ordinary -- but it makes an impact on me to see it on someone's all-time fav list, and I make a mental note of it (where I used to just ignore it, I listen closer). The last 1/3 are songs is cut in two: songs I've written off as not liking and songs I'd never heard before. What's interesting to me is most of the songs I don't like are songs from the late 70s/very early 80s (pre '83) -- and I always think "If I were born five years earlier, I'd probably have those same songs on my list".

The other funny thing is that if I were to play snippets of the 180+ songs I've listed so far for the people I hang out with, they probably wouldn't know 2/3rds of them. Most people I know would have listed Led Zeppelin 20 times by now, Godsmack 10 times, Beatles 10 times, Pearl Jam 10 times, AC/DC 10 times, Pink Floyd 5 times, Nirvana 10 times... basically the playlist of every rock station in America. A big collection of "see I like what everybody else likes, look how cool I am" songs. I like seeing pop songs, folk songs, punk songs, etc on people's lists here. I'm in good company because the people here like music, it's not just background noise - it's the soundtrack of our lives!

What I wish I saw more of is songs post-1995. There have been some amazing songs over the last 25 years. Every year since 2010 I've made a list of 100+ songs I like from that year, ranging from Enya (2015) to Carcass (2014) to Ice Cube (2019) to Ed Sheeran (2012/2015/2017/2019) to Prophets Of Rage (RATM + Public Enemy + Cypress Hill collab) (2016/2017/2018). And a bunch of new artists making great stuff too. Good music isn't the spotlight these days because what sells now is quirky goofy stupid shit like "Gangnam Style" "Black Beatles" "Bodak Yellow" "Old Town Road" "Achy Breaky 2" "Bad Guy (mumble, mumble, duh)" "WAP" and frickin "Baby Shark". The dumber the bigger these days it seems....

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Testify Brother Sad!

Life would be boring as hell if we all listened to and liked the same music.

I’m finding a few new songs I like, some I’d forgotten about, some that don’t do a thing for me, and a few I never need to hear again.

These have been great threads.

Reactions: sadchild

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I too am enjoying these threads. I find stuff on everybody's list I like and some not so much. Looks like its the same reaction to my list.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
and I always think "If I were born five years earlier, I'd probably have those same songs on my list".

What I wish I saw more of is songs post-1995.
Yeah, I realize that age has a lot to do with it. The music I listened to as a kid had a profound impact on me. But to you, it's just classic rock. Whereas you were strongly influenced by 80's music, it doesn't hit me as hard emotionally.

I will certainly be getting to post 1995. That year ('95) is actually an important year for me. It was the year I got divorced, and I really got into the music scene, since I was back on my own for a time. If you have the time, you can look at some of my early entries in my Scotch Sampler thread. I cover the 90's, 00's, and 10's. But I'll be getting to it with my favorites list - eventually.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#148 Indigo Girls "Ghost"

Sweet sadness, loss, refusal to let go... this one can give me wet eyes once in a while. My soft 'n chewy folky insides within my hard outer metalhead shell are sneaking out again. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm basically a Tootsie Pop.

• Haha
Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#147 Only Living Witness "Nineveh"

Okay back to the heavy!! I heard this one scanning my FM dial back in.... 1993? I landed on WJUL, the radio station for the University of Lowell (the same station I first heard play Korn). I was blown away, bought the album soon after and loved three of the songs on there. But this one's the best, and most complex. But the track "December" is the one they're most remembered for. Oh, and I didn't see them live back in the 90s, but they did a reunion show in 2008 and it was great!

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#146 J Geils Band "Centerfold"

As a 6th grader, I thought it was a taboo topic to hear during indoor recess that winter every day on the classroom record player. And the line "my memoreeeeee has just been sold" was always odd to me, but the song's so damn catchy I just went with it. I also liked "Freeze Frame" and "Piss On The Wall" (bow ch-ch bow ch-bow bow ch-bow).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I always find it interesting when I hear a song I associate with my adulthood (albeit early adulthood) as something you heard in 6th grade.