Sadchild's top 333 fav songs of all ever

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Strange coincidence.... I heard the original on my way home from work today on Rock Bar. And while most people will likely call the original an absolute classic, I prefer the cover. It's kinda like if I chose Ugly Kid Joe's version of "Cat's In The Cradle" over the original. Or Big Mountain's "Baby I Love Your Way".

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
#235 Frankie Goes To Hollywood "Born To Run"

I can't deny it. I love it. The bass. The voice. And of course Trevor Horn's brilliant production and Bruce's amazing songwriting and storytelling behind it all.

With all the warnings, I was expecting something like The Weather Girls. This is actually pretty good. You really can't go wrong with that song. I prefer the original (and thinking about it my next top 10 will be The Boss) but I like this one in that you can understand the lyrics. Springsteen has never been one for enunciation. I am going to see if this version is available on iTunes. I like it better than Relax.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland

I can't deny it. I love it. The bass. The voice. And of course Trevor Horn's brilliant production and Bruce's amazing songwriting and storytelling behind it all.

It's ok, but it sounds exactly like the covers they use in movies, when they don't have the rights to the original. Usually I consider a good cover to be when it goes in a different direction, like Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Wow very cool. I was expecting to be lampooned and run up the flagpole on that one.

Totally agree @scotchandcigar it does have that 'counterfeit' sound, but somehow (to me) they just absolutely nailed it -- 9.5/10. I think Trevor Horn was a HUGE part of it. Because I've watched video of them performing it live and it's just good, but not great.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

I thought it was going to be someone terrible like Bieber.

I like it better than'the Boss' version. I think it's just the energy and voice.
I still think Relax is better. It's original in so many ways.

This is a fun Bruce cover from Super Troopers 2.
I think the drums make it.

Reactions: sadchild

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
#234 Strapping Young Lad "Detox"

Usually I don't listen to songs this brutally relentless. But this group will actually appear on my list one more time with an even crazier track.

Brutally relentless is about it. I don't really get into it. I've got a couple of friends that play in thrash bands, and it makes a lot more sense to me when I see them play live than just listening to them.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like JJ and thought Doubt was a good album.
We played Right Here for a short spell back when it came out, but I can't get the current line-up of goons that I play with to do it now.
I had the followup album but don't think that it held my attention for very long.
I don't remember their debut album.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#232 Peter Gabriel "Digging In The Dirt"

A dark (and fascinating) look at the subconscious mind and being overtaken in the present by emotions of the unresolved past -- at least that's what the video depicts. The music video for this song is my favorite video of all time ever. Instead of just putting the song, here's that video!

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Probly!

However, IMO, if he's singing about skipping class and doing stuff when the teacher turns her back, he's singing from the perspective of a high-schooler - who would find a 17 year old sexy. When I was 17, I sure found some 17 year olds to be sexy. Actually, I dated a 17 year old (who turned 18 soon after) when I was 19, so back then I could've said my girlfriend was 'sexy and 17'.