Sadchild's top 333 fav songs of all ever

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#131 Alice Cooper "I Never Cry"

I primarily like Alice for his rockers. But he had four albums in a row that each had a "sellout" ballad, right around the time he was on The Muppets and Hollywood Squares, but this one has always resonated with me -- ever since the first time I saw his scary (for real, I was a little scared by it) green face on the back on my K-Tel record. I rediscovered this one in the early 90s when I saw the cassette in my roommate's collection, and grew to like (most of) the whole album. Nowadays, even my son can sing along to "Go To Hell" and "Give The Kid A Break", and my wife likes "Going Home" and this one.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#128 Nine Inch Nails "Head Like A Hole"

Back in 1990, I responded to an ad in the paper looking for a guitarist. I was looking to form an originals band, and didn't know they were looking to start a cover band (that would have been a good thing to mention in the ad, maybe?). So when I got there, I had nothing for them except one cover I could play start to finish (Van Halen "Unchained"). We played it twice, and that was it. Needless to say, I wasn't asked to join. But one of their questions was "What bands are you into?" I said, "Nine Inch Nails". Only one guy knew who they were. He told the other guys, "They do that song 'Head Like A Hole' -- it's about a blowjob." I shrugged. I thought, then and now, it was about the consequences of having blind faith to a religion that focuses on profit.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We’ve talked about the impact this album had on me before. It’s one of my top 5.
If it’s only 128, the next 127 have got to be incredible.
I never heard that it had to do with a BJ, and I can usually twist anything to sound like it was smutty.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
#129 Mighty Mighty Bosstones "The Impression That I Get"

Overplayed but still fantastic. Love the subject of the song. Love how the harmony vocal track that would normally be in the background is up in front.

It's a good song, and it is an interesting - I'd say odd - subject. It's about never having experienced bad or stressful things, and being glad you hadn't, because it would probably not be good, but hoping that you'd be able to handle it. Weird.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
@HecticArt I think the guy just assumed "bow down before the one you serve" just must be about a BJ, without really listening to the whole "God money" verses and such.
Sounds like he was a knob.
#126 Kansas "Dust In The Wind"

Bleak but beautiful. Good for when you need a perspective shift. Don't sweat the details, someday it'll all be insignificant anyway. Party on, Wayne.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
#125 Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Pretty sure this one rocked all of our worlds. I bought the 3 track single and jammed out on all of them. Never bought the album though, just this single the "Lithium" single. I liked those b-sides better than anything on side 2 of Nevermind, which I've pretty much ignored.

I'd like to know which of the 10 or so fantastic songs on the album you ignored?

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
My ratings of each song on Nevermind (scale of 1 to 10)

Smells Like Teen Spirit 10
In Bloom 8
Come As You Are 7 (radio overplay makes me treat it like a 5 though)
Breed 8
Lithium 8
Polly 6
Territorial Pissings (can't think of how it goes)
Drain You 5
Lounge Act (can't think of how it goes)
Stay Away 5
On A Plain 5
Something In The Way 4

Even In His Youth 8
Aneurysm 8
Endless Nameless (can't think of how it goes)
MV 5
Been A Son (Live) 7
Curmudgeon 8
D7 (can't think of how it goes)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That was an attention grabbing album for sure.
It seemed like it was everywhere so much that I don't think I listened to my CD that often.
Rape Me was one of the strongest songs on the followup album.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
#125 Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Pretty sure this one rocked all of our worlds. I bought the 3 track single and jammed out on all of them. Never bought the album though, just this single the "Lithium" single. I liked those b-sides better than anything on side 2 of Nevermind, which I've pretty much ignored.

Certainly a great song. Will be along shortly on the 424 too. But like every great song, there is a Weird Al spoof that is as good.