Say Hello to Sirius XM Lynx

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Sirius and XM home antennas look almost identical.

I did had a XM radio many years ago, the first xPress unit. But I don't remember the antenna, after having XM for couple of months and didn't care for it. I sold that unit to a friend and that was the last time, I saw an XM radio.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I did had a XM radio many years ago, the first xPress unit. But I don't remember the antenna, after having XM for couple of months and didn't care for it. I sold that unit to a friend and that was the last time, I saw an XM radio.

The only way I can tell which is which is to look at the impressed graphics on the antenna. I got a replacement from TSS a while ago and I don't even know which one I got.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I don't know if one of mods, wants to create a separate thread. But in the http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/siriusxm-soundwave-cafe/15929-siriusxm-add-30-new-channels.html thread. Couple of people notice in the new SiriusXM channel page, they are showing a new radio called Edge Radios?

EdgeRadios.jpg

So they're might be a third 2.0 radio sighting?

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I don't know if one of mods, wants to create a separate thread. But in the http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/siriusxm-soundwave-cafe/15929-siriusxm-add-30-new-channels.html thread. Couple of people notice in the new SiriusXM channel page, they are showing a new radio called Edge Radios?

EdgeRadios.jpg

So they're might be a third 2.0 radio sighting?

The Edge gets 30 Extra channels but it is NOT a Sirius XM 2.0 Radio. It doesn't get any of the 2.0 features and I still call BS on these 2.0 Ready or capable rumors on older radios. They just aren't going to transform into 2.0 radios.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The Edge gets 30 Extra channels but it is NOT a Sirius XM 2.0 Radio. It doesn't get any of the 2.0 features and I still call BS on these 2.0 Ready or capable rumors on older radios. They just aren't going to transform into 2.0 radios.

Oh that is interesting, thank you for verifying Taylor! I wouldn't know on any of these older radios, will be 2.0 ready or not? I don't own any of those units anymore and plus after looking at that radio, that radio looks familiar and it's the SiriusXM XMH unit.

SiriusXM-XMH.jpg

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
By portable, they may not mean that you can receive sat programming live any place that you are. Portable may mean wifi, blue tooth, or cached content.

Those details aren't out yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

And that would make it the other half of the SL10, right? The SL10 had the satellite portion, but not the internet portion. ;)

(I think Taylor beat me to it.)

Its portable since they give you the little bag and you can take it from point A (your home) to point B (your car). Even the old RoadyXT radios were portable by that standard.

ETA: No they weren't. They did not come with the bag.

That's what I was thinking. Sirius (and XM) had "portable radios" that were really nothing but plug-and-play radios, but they *said* they were portable.

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Ok. The fact that Best Buy leaked this is good.

It's Portable in a way somewhere between the Stiletto and S50. It won't get live Portable Satellite like the Stiletto did. At first this bummed me out but we've had so many people have huge expectations that the Stiletto would be flawless, like cell phone reception or better. Plus tons of people who had the Stiletto never even figured out you DIDN'T need the antenna headphones. They didn't realize it had a built in antenna.

I guess mileage varies, but I had several SL100 and SL2 radios. I was only able to get live satellite reception without antenna headphones for a very brief while on one radio....plus, my Sony headphones were always falling out of the socket...mutter-mutter...

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
And that would make it the other half of the SL10, right? The SL10 had the satellite portion, but not the internet portion. ;)

(I think Taylor beat me to it.)

That's what I was thinking. Sirius (and XM) had "portable radios" that were really nothing but plug-and-play radios, but they *said* they were portable.

With wi-fi and blue tooth, it's technically more of a portable than it is a fancy mp3 player. Semantics, I know, but still much more than a plug and play. ;)

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
Now the Lynx is one good looking radio! Good job to SiriusXM! We're finally seeing what satellite radio should be as far as interfacing with it. Of course, the smart phone app was already like this (which does beg the question, will it be updated to receive the "Xtra" channels).

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
So, if I can use my phone as a wifi hub and my car streams Bluetooth, I could use it without a vehicle dock?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So, if I can use my phone as a wifi hub and my car streams Bluetooth, I could use it without a vehicle dock?
That might be like crossing the streams in Ghost Busters. Or it might open a portal to hell.
Either way, some one should try it!
Posted via Mobile Device

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Is this the first SiriusXM branded radio?? Who do you call to activate service? Sirius or XM?

Does this mean combined accounting departments, or a third accounting department???

The antennas for both docks, are XM antennas, without any logos on them.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Is this the first SiriusXM branded radio?? Who do you call to activate service? Sirius or XM?

Does this mean combined accounting departments, or a third accounting department???

The antennas for both docks, are XM antennas, without any logos on them.

They have had other Sirius XM Branded radios but they still only get activated on one side or the other or in the case of the Mirge get activated on both sides.

They have new Sirius XM Car and Home Antennas that are pretty much just like the XM Versions before just with a new logo on them.

All the Sirius XM 2.0 Satellite Radios will function on the XM Platform for a lot of reasons. Mainly being the technology was a lot easier to get from the XM chipset than the Sirius chipset. It's also less expensive to produce the XM chipsets than the Sirius ones, and eventually long term they need to move towards one platform. Although that doesn't mean jeopardizing old Sirius radios. Well not at least for 10 years at least.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
So, I'm a sirius Sub. I buy a lynx or Edge radio. I need to call XM to get this thing working. Do I need a whole new account now or can I add this on yet for cheaper? Or are we not there yet in terms of merged billing? Just curious.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
So, I'm a sirius Sub. I buy a lynx or Edge radio. I need to call XM to get this thing working. Do I need a whole new account now or can I add this on yet for cheaper? Or are we not there yet in terms of merged billing? Just curious.

You would need to setup an account with XM. They still haven't merged the billing :(
The Edge will come out pretty soon, maybe in a couple weeks. The Lynx won't be out for a while.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I noticed on sirius website you can actually purchase the edge.
Shop XM Satellite Radio

I wonder what happens if someone placed the order? Probably would not ship until they are ready in a few weeks.

Bummer that the billing is taken care of yet. For being a Sirius sub for 5+ years, it's lame they are releasing these new toys and making me get a new account. So redundant, and more expensive. I already have 2 sirius radios! Oh well. This won't be an issue for me until I can afford a new toy anyway, maybe they will have this fixed by then.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I don't think it should be hard to combine billing accounts, if Joe Blow has 2 accounts one with Sirius and the other at XM and lives at the same address. Just assign a new account number to him and everybody else. Not have 2 different companies under one name roof.

Satradiodude

Aug 7, 2011
Sirius as always is not one to communicate with it's retailers or subscribers- so I went to 2 local Best Buys- and of course no one new about the radios coming- but both locations had the Edge car kits and no additional optional home kits- on the box it states you need a SiriusXM subscription-
Being a lifetime Subscriber and with a BB warranty- these Xtra channels are part of the Sirius or xm premiere packages- so if you can authorize using the authorization wizard through the receiver that would bypass an agent authorizing a receiver- so it would appear that the merging of bills would be handled ?

Also I saw no mention on the boxes about the receiver having a timer on it- Is there any documentation that states all the features on this unit?

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008

Did a search for a dedicated thread for the Edge receiver to no avail. Since it looks like the XMH discussed in another thread I wonder what the purpose of a battery is on a plug and play.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
its strange to me these different new radios have different names but the same style essentially. Onyx, starmate 8, edge, XMH. yet the price on the starmate 8, and the edge is not too different. Why buy a starmate 8 for 120 something when you could get a edge for the same price. I guess if you are a Sirius customer (like me) and just want another new radio and dont want to sign up a seperate XM account for a new edge...but that screws Sirius subs, really.

meh