Say Hello to Sirius XM Lynx

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
No internet, no cable, no satellite tv, no smartphone. How am I doing it?? Easy. We had comcast web, but I got tired of their attitude, and fees. Also it was killing my poor out of work brother. He was turning into a zombie what with all the web enabled gaming, the web itself, tv, etc. I put the savings into trips, booze, and satellite radio. Ha!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
No internet, no cable, no satellite tv, no smartphone. How am I doing it?? Easy. We had comcast web, but I got tired of their attitude, and fees. Also it was killing my poor out of work brother. He was turning into a zombie what with all the web enabled gaming, the web itself, tv, etc. I put the savings into trips, booze, and satellite radio. Ha!
I'm glad you ended it that way and not that you moved to a tar paper shack in the woods to live off the grid and write your manifesto! :jj:

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Indeed! If it's executed properly, and the radio is supported right, this should be a home run. Its running custom android, so I already have som faith that it wont be as broken as the Stiletto.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
OK. It's been too quiet in this thread.

Lets take bets on when this bad boy gets announced officially.
The FCC confidential agreement thing said they would keep it quiet for 45 days.
Thanksgiving and the holiday shopping thing is only a few weeks away.

I'm betting they make the announcement in about 2 weeks.
I'll take Monday November 14th.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I think mid November (@16th) is the 46th day from the memorandum SiriusXM filed with the FCC. This gives buyers a week to purchase their hardware and reload for Black Friday.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
And live content when you're docked at home, work, the coffee shop, gym, library, school, your car, etc.
So, Like Slacker. You have the choice of getting live content or on-demand. Plus so many other internet radio choices that offer what SiriusFM, and more, does for free. Is this really all there is? And they're calling this breakthrough technology? If it's 2002 maybe.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's a lot of options for one stop shopping if you ask me. One single device that isn't tethered to your cell phone or a computer or the limited selection of an mp3 collection. It's a good step forward. Might not be an earth shattering invention, but it's a pretty big step forward for SXM.
Posted via Mobile Device

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
So, Like Slacker. You have the choice of getting live content or on-demand. Plus so many other internet radio choices that offer what SiriusFM, and more, does for free. Is this really all there is? And they're calling this breakthrough technology? If it's 2002 maybe.
What unit did that in 2002? Especially via Wifi? I get you want to bash SiriusXM everywhere you get a chance and mention how you used to have the service and then give a list of unattainable demands before you join back to the service....but seriously what device did that in 2002?

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
What unit did that in 2002? Especially via Wifi? I get you want to bash SiriusXM everywhere you get a chance and mention how you used to have the service and then give a list of unattainable demands before you join back to the service....but seriously what device did that in 2002?
More like 2008-09 (a little happy finger on the keyboard), when Pandora and Slacker started getting popular with the former XM subscribers who actually subscribed for the music.

It's just with all the buildup over "cutting edge technology" that 2.0 was supposed to be, and this is all there is? On-Demand that's been available for years through other means? Nice to see they're finally throwing a bone to the old XM subscribers with Luna and 1 or 2 other channels, but is that going to make me come back for more money than Slacker Plus and Spotify premium would cost on a monthly basis?

Reactions: hyson

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So, you're still missing the point. Impressed or (obviously) not, you're ignoring the fact that SXM is growing and offering new ways of delivering content. You're fixating on the fact that other services have used one or two delivery methods in the past. Let's see them deliver by satellite. Let's see them let you listen without your cell phone. Let's see them let you listen without building all kinds of playlists and advanced setup. Let's see you get everything from one single content provider. This is a cool step forward, and it shows that SXM is going to keep evolving. Who cares who came up with an idea first.
Posted via Mobile Device

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
More like 2008-09 (a little happy finger on the keyboard), when Pandora and Slacker started getting popular with the former XM subscribers who actually subscribed for the music.

It's just with all the buildup over "cutting edge technology" that 2.0 was supposed to be, and this is all there is? On-Demand that's been available for years through other means? Nice to see they're finally throwing a bone to the old XM subscribers with Luna and 1 or 2 other channels, but is that going to make me come back for more money than Slacker Plus and Spotify premium would cost on a monthly basis?
The Lynx isn't all there is. You are just assuming it. The Online Stream and Apps are going to change in a MAJOR way. And offer stuff that the competition doesn't even offer. And SiriusXM has LOTS of things Slacker and Spotify and Pandora don't offer. If you are simply comparing music services at home then the comparison might be fair, but add in talk, sports and news and functionality in the vehicle across the country it's not even close.

But I really think this company could go balls out and you'd still hate them. It's a grudge. And I know I'm picking on you, but it just seems you have a major axe to grind with them either way.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Maybe I do! Losing all the presets I had when I subscribed has a way of doing that to a person. Minus that I have no reason to subscribe in the future unless they bring them back in their previous form. I have no interest in NFL Football, Baseball is covered with MLB At Bat (Home AND away feeds) and the NHL just started offering games on their app. Plus the NBA has an app of their own (provided there is a season.)

I just don't happen to think they can do no harm 100 percent of the time. Their actions have clearly shown that they don't regard the former XM subscribers as important or particularly relevant. Those subscribers (myself included) have moved on to other services that offer the same thing for less money, or free. What they are offering as cutting edge has already been offered several times over on other services like Spotify and Slacker, and they're doing it better by offering it on devices I already own. Plus all the news sources I listened to on XM (BBC, C-Span, NPR and a few others) have their own apps or are available elsewhere for free.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Maybe I do! Losing all the presets I had when I subscribed has a way of doing that to a person. Minus that I have no reason to subscribe in the future unless they bring them back in their previous form. I have no interest in NFL Football, Baseball is covered with MLB At Bat (Home AND away feeds) and the NHL just started offering games on their app. Plus the NBA has an app of their own (provided there is a season.)

I just don't happen to think they can do no harm 100 percent of the time. Their actions have clearly shown that they don't regard the former XM subscribers as important or particularly relevant. Those subscribers (myself included) have moved on to other services that offer the same thing for less money, or free. What they are offering as cutting edge has already been offered several times over on other services like Spotify and Slacker, and they're doing it better by offering it on devices I already own. Plus all the news sources I listened to on XM (BBC, C-Span, NPR and a few others) have their own apps or are available elsewhere for free.
Well your beefs with SXM may be valid and have been discussed in other threads.
This thread is for people interested in the new hardware. If you're going to continue to gripe about the service, take it to another thread.