Sch2p Thinks Antenna Is Not Connected

Discussion in 'Sirius Radios' started by dvarapala, May 23, 2015.

1. dvarapala

dvarapala New Member

I just received a refurb SCH2P last night from TSS. I bought it to keep as a backup unit in case my 10-year-old main radio ever dies. Anyway, I did a little bench-testing and saw that it continually reports "antenna disconnected" with signal strengths of 0 on both satellite and terrestrial. On the front panel display both the "sat" and "ter" bargraphs are flashing which, according to the manual, means the antenna is not connected.

This unit came with an outdoor antenna which uses an F connector, so I connected it using known-good (works fine for my TV) RG-6 cables. I tried connecting the antenna directly (using a single cable) as well as through the supplied splitter (using 2 cables plus a terminator, exactly as shown in the manual). I placed the new antenna outside in the same general area as my existing outdoor antenna (which gets great reception) but still got nothing. My conclusion is that either the antenna is bad or the RF circuitry in the radio is bad (or both). Would you agree? Is there anything else I can try before I initiate a warranty return on this puppy? I would have tried swapping in my known-good Sirius antenna but it uses the original push-on style connector and I don't have any adapters.

Ideas, anyone?
    HecticArt likes this.
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I haven't used that gear before. Have you checked in with TSS? They do a good job with support.
  3. dvarapala

dvarapala New Member

Not yet - I expect they're closed for the holiday and won't be available until Tuesday, so I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.
    HecticArt likes this.
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Ideal.
    And welcome to the DRC.
  5. dvarapala

dvarapala New Member

Update: Over the weekend I bought a SMB-to-F adapter (Amazon.com same-day delivery rules!) and was able to test the new antenna with my existing radio; the antenna is dead as a doornail. So I've ordered another adapter which will allow me to plug my working antenna into the SCH2P and verify that the unit itself is working.
    HecticArt likes this.
  6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Good luck, and keep posted. .
  7. dvarapala

dvarapala New Member

Update: With the SMB-jack-to-male-F adapter, I hooked up my working antenna and the radio works fine. :celebrate1: Looks like the antenna that came with the SCH2P is deader than a doornail. :mad:
    HecticArt likes this.
  8. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Glad you've gotten it sorted out!