Scotch Sampler

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
While I was researching my next artist (chronologically), this video was suggested to me; which is funny, because I heard it the other day and thought about putting it on my list (and then forgot). Probably the best song to come from the disco era

Donna Summer – I Feel Love

And that was the primer for Eurythmics, the Annie Lennox & Dave Stewart duo who, in 1983, became the darlings of MTV with the title track from Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This). I can't really describe it, but there was something new and different about their music. My favorite from that album is a song that evokes a certain mood, with an infectious beat

Eurythmics – Love Is a Stranger

Each album they released produced several hits; Touch gave us Who's That Girl and Here Comes the Rain Again. Be Yourself Tonight added There Must Be an Angel, Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves, and this

Eurythmics – Would I Lie to You (live)

Their sound started to transition from New Wave to a kind of soul, and the album Revenge continued that trend, with this song, reinterpreted in this modern performance

Eurythmics – Missionary Man (live)

Lennox started pivoting towards torch songs, in preparation for her long and successful solo career. This beautiful Eurythmics song, dealing with death, is a prime example

Eurythmics –Angel

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I like Blue Man Group's cover of "I Feel Love"

Like I've said somewhere else, I prefer the darker side of Eurythmics. I liked "Love Is A Stranger" (the video of which blew my 12 year old mind), "Sweet Dreams" (the video of which freaked me out a little at 12) and "Here Comes The Rain". Then they dropped "Would I Lie To You?" and I started to lose interest. However, I do love 1989's "Don't Ask Me Why".

In sharp and contradicting contrast, I like a few of Annie's solo hits. And Dave Stewart's "Lily Was Here", which are all A/C. *shrug*

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If you had to pick one artist to represent the New Wave music of the 80's, it would probably be Thompson Twins. Their first worldwide album release, 1983's Side Kicks (in North America), gave us Lies, If You Were Here - used in the movie Sixteen Candles, and this funky synth hit

Thompson Twins – Love On Your Side

Their next release, Into the Gap, had a bunch of hits, including Doctor! Doctor! , and this modern classic

Thompson Twins – Hold Me Now

They followed that with Here's to Future Days, containing this memorable song

Thompson Twins – Lay Your Hands on Me

After that, the trio split, and two members continued (not very successfully) to release TT albums.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
How can Twins be a trio? I saw one of the twins opening for Culture Club a couple of years back. He put on a good show. Did all the classics.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Thomspon Twins are great!

1. Hold Me Now
2. Lies
3. If You Were Here
4. Lay Your Hands On Me
5. King For A Day
6. Doctor Doctor
7. Love On Your Side
8. Don't Mess With Dr Dream
9. You Killed The Clown
10. Sugar Daddy If You Were Here

They are named after two characters from the comic books The Adventures Of Tin Tin. My son was reading them about 5 years ago and I noticed the names and said OH!!

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Bonus round today! One of my favorite albums of the early 80's was The Golden Age of Wireless by Thomas Dolby. I would listen to that album from start to finish. It had a combination of unique synth sounds, funky beats, thoughtful and creative lyrics, and beautiful melodies. The album was full of international hit songs, such as Radio Silence, Windpower, and One of our Submarines. Of course, in the US, the chart topper was She Blinded Me With Science, which had a nice video to go with it. Another hit song was this danceable tune

Thomas Dolby – Europa and the Pirate Twins

The album also had a number of ballads, such as Cloudburst at Shingle Street, and this

Thomas Dolby – Airwaves

His follow-up album, The Flat Earth, wasn't as popular, but it gave us this hyper-funky song

Thomas Dolby – Hyperactive

After that, he started doing movie soundtracks, and got into the technical sound arena. He formed a company that created the first cellphone ringtone for Nokia. In the following clip, he discusses this, and the clip after that goes along with his story.

Thomas Dolby explains creation of Nokia ringtone

Francisco Tarrega – Grand Vals (basis for Nokia ringtone)

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Fascinating story about the ringtone! Thanks for sharing.

I keep thinking I should like Thomas Dolby more than I do. I of course love "Blinded" (eventually coming up on the 333). I've long liked "Hyperactive". And I have "Europa" in my mp3 collection but I really don't listen to much.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Around the same time that the artists above were getting airplay, a unique sound from down under made a splash in America. Men at Work had a different sound, which included a saxophone, and Colin Hay's distinctive voice. Their debut album, Business As Usual, hit the US in '82, and produced big hits Who Can it Be Now? and Down Under, plus Be Good Johnny.

I bought their follow-up album, Cargo, which had a few hits like It's a Mistake and Overkill. I was really into it back then, but I find their music dated today. About the only favorite of mine that I can handle today is Colin Hay's version of Overkill. He still tours and sounds very good.

Men at Work (Colin Hay) – Overkill (live, starts at 1:15)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Around the same time that the artists above were getting airplay, a unique sound from down under made a splash in America. Men at Work had a different sound, which included a saxophone, and Colin Hay's distinctive voice. Their debut album, Business As Usual, hit the US in '82, and produced big hits Who Can it Be Now? and Down Under, plus Be Good Johnny.

I bought their follow-up album, Cargo, which had a few hits like It's a Mistake and Overkill. I was really into it back then, but I find their music dated today. About the only favorite of mine that I can handle today is Colin Hay's version of Overkill. He still tours and sounds very good.

Men at Work (Colin Hay) – Overkill (live, starts at 1:15)

The acoustic version is great. I think Jon posted the version that he did on Scrubs. I thought that was fantastic when I saw it on the show.

I still like Men At Work's hits, even a little more now than I did back then. That lawsuit broke my heart.
Heartbreaking is a good word for it. It's bullshit that they got raked over the coals like that.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
1. Down Under
2. Who Can It Be Now
3. Be Good Johnny (one of my son's ringtones -- he hates all songs with his name in it (quite a few) likely for this reason)
4. Overkill
5. It's a Mistake
6. Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive

At least 2 of those songs are ***** and will be on my 424.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Time for some 80's additions, on artists I've previously mentioned. David Bowie's 1983 album Let's Dance may have been his biggest seller, and it was full of hit songs, like Modern Love, Let's Dance, and Putting Out Fire (Cat People). But this favorite of mine was actually co-written by Bowie and Iggy Pop back in the 70's, and Iggy recorded his version in '77. The song is supposed to be a commentary on racism, but I don't think it would be released today. Anyway, it sets a great mood.

David Bowie – China Girl (live)

The final album by all the members of The Police was the 1983 monster release Synchronicity. And just in case anyone forgot, I'll say it again - I saw this tour live at Shea Stadium, with openers Joan Jett, and some bunch of nobodys called R.E.M. - and yes, it was awesome. Songs on this album include King of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger, Tea in the Sahara, Murder by Numbers, and a song that - while I respect the songwriting - I hated when I first heard it, and have hated it ever since; Every Breath You Take. And while I love those other songs, they are dated and overplayed, so I'd like to just feature live versions of the smoking-hot songs Synchronicity I/II

The Police – Synchronicity I/II (live)

Finally, we have what I consider to be the last really good song by the Rolling Stones; 1983's Undercover of the Night. I like the song, I like the vibe, the words, and the video. And yes, according to me, their last good song was in '83, while Bob Dylan's was in '75. You can direct any complaints to scotchandcigar@idontgiveashit.com.

11-83 Rolling Stones – Undercover of the Night

Last edited: