Scotch Sampler

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
To finish catching-up on additional songs by artists I've mentioned:

The album 90125 led to the resurgence of Yes in 1983. A bunch of songs got radio airplay, and (once again) I saw them on this tour. This is the biggest hit from that album, and although I don't usually post videos of old geezers doing retro performances, this one from the 2017 RRHOF is really good. I saw Jon Anderson do a live acoustic a few years back, and I can confirm he's still got it.

Yes – Owner of a Lonely Heart (live RRHOF)

In the 80's, Joe Jackson turned from post-punk towards jazz and world music. The 1982 album Night and Day was very popular, with the hits Breaking Us in Two, and this

Joe Jackson – Steppin’ Out

The 1984 follow-up release was the great album Body and Soul, which I would listen to from start to finish, but the only radio hit was You Can't Get What You Want. I'd highly recommend checking out this album, but none of the individual tracks are favorites. Similarly, his next release in '86, Big World, is great to just listen straight through. It has a distinctively big band or orchestral vibe, and in fact it was recorded live in a theater with an audience that was silent. The sound is excellent.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Police

1. Synchronicity II (#207)
2. Wrapped Around Your Finger (#261) - overplayed
3. Tea In The Sahara (#275)
4. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (#282) - overplayed
5. King Of Pain (500+) - overplayed
6. Invisible Sun (500+)
7. Spirits In The Material World (500+)
8. So Lonely (500+)
9. Every Breath You Take - overplayed
10. Man in a Suitcase
11. Mrs Gradenko
12. Canary In A Coalmine
13. It's Alright For You
14. Synchronicity I
15. Truth Hits Everybody

Rolling Stones

1. Waiting On A Friend (#277)
2. Start Me Up
3. Honky Tonk Women
4. You Can't Always Get What You Want
5. Undercover Of The Night
6. Between A Rock And A Hard Place
7. Wild Horses
8. Angie
9. Paint It Black
10. Honky Tonk Women

Yes

1. (coming up on 333)
2. (coming up on 333)
3. Leave It (#218)
4. Roundabout (#228)
5. I've Seen All Good People (500+)
6. Lift Me Up (500+)
7. Final Eyes (500+)
8. Big Generator
9. Holy Lamb
10. I'm Running

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
this favorite of mine was actually co-written by Bowie and Iggy Pop back in the 70's, and Iggy recorded his version in '77.
I never knew that. Cool.
The final album by all the members of The Police was the 1983 monster release Synchronicity
I still love that album, but I haven't listened to it in years.
It's actually paid for by funneling advertising revenues from DRC.
So that's where it went.
I saw them on this tour.
Me too. Rabin was great.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
One of the most important bands that formed in the 80's was R.E.M. They came from post-punk beginnings, but developed in a new direction (that wasn't New Wave). I don't know exactly what to call it, but it eventually became what mainstream pop-rock was.

Nowadays, they have a reputation for being that band that made gentle, thoughtful, non-threatening pop for liberals, such as Losing My Religion (gag!). But when you look over their history, you see they were a serious band with an amazingly intense front man in Michael Stipe. With that distinctive, iconic voice, Stipe was singular in purpose, and often wild on stage.

Their 1983 debut album Murmur won critical accolades, and Radio Free Europe became a hit. They followed with the album Reckoning, which contained the songs Pretty Persuasion, Don't Go Back to Rockville, and So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry). Here's the 2 song set from their TV premier on Letterman. Note that during the interview, Stipe is sitting down behind Peter Buck while Letterman chats with the band. He finally appears as Dave gets ready to go back to his desk.

REM – Radio Free Europe/ So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) (live on Letterman)

Their next album included Can’t Get There From Here. The one after that contained Fall on Me, and Superman. But it was the 1987 album Document that introduced us to hits like The One I Love, and these next two, shown in these 1999 performances, where Stipe is mixing with the audience.

REM - Finest Worksong (live)

REM – It’s the End of the World as We Know It (live)

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Their last release of the 80's was Green, an album full of hits. The songs were dark and full of sarcasm, despite the upbeat titles. The album included Stand, Orange Crush, Turn You Inside-Out, and the following two. In the live performances, Stipe is clearly going through some intense stuff. And I couldn't even post the official music video for the 1st one, as it's NSFW.

REM – Pop Song 89

REM – Get Up

I'll cover their 90's music in a future post.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
REM is a bit like the Cure to me in that you can't pigeonhole them into one genre or style or sound. Whereas the Cure can go from frivolous and goofy fun into the most intense and depressing and violent diatribe you've ever heard, REM has that same range. Trying to pin REM down to a simple label is like calling the Cure 'goth' -- listen to "Let's Go To Bed", "In Between Days", "Hot Hot Hot", "Friday I'm In Love" and "The 13th" and tell me they're a goth band!!

And just like the Cure, REM can make a song that resonates with my soul and makes me rethink my existence, but can also write a song I can't stand and makes me question why I ever liked the band in the first place (I have never liked "It's The End Of The World")

1. (coming up on my 333)
2. Nightswimming (on my 500+)
3. Pop Song '89
4. Drive
5. At My Most Beautiful

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
REM is a bit like the Cure to me in that you can't pigeonhole them into one genre or style or sound. Whereas the Cure can go from frivolous and goofy fun into the most intense and depressing and violent diatribe you've ever heard, REM has that same range. Trying to pin REM down to a simple label is like calling the Cure 'goth' -- listen to "Let's Go To Bed", "In Between Days", "Hot Hot Hot", "Friday I'm In Love" and "The 13th" and tell me they're a goth band!!

And just like the Cure, REM can make a song that resonates with my soul and makes me rethink my existence, but can also write a song I can't stand and makes me question why I ever liked the band in the first place (I have never liked "It's The End Of The World")

1. (coming up on my 333)
2. Nightswimming (on my 500+)
3. Pop Song '89
4. Drive
5. At My Most Beautiful
I actually got a lot out of researching the beginnings of the band. As you say, they've shown many different sides musically, but nowadays, they're mostly remembered for their gentle AC songs, so it's easy to forget the range of stuff they've done. They will definitely make another appearance on my list.

Reactions: sadchild

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Hitting the music scene in 1984, Howard Jones pioneered the synth-based one-man band. Combining layers of preprogrammed rhythms, bass, and chords, along with live melodies and vocals, Jones created a sound that was perfect for the 80's. And the guy had real talent, as I witnessed when I saw him live. His debut album, Human's Lib, showed us all sides of his songwriting abilities. Aside from the uplifting hit New Song (which you've all heard a lot), there's these favorites, which show-off his performance chops

Howard Jones – Pearl in the Shell (live)

Howard Jones – What is Love? (live)

He was invited to perform at Live Aid '85, where he ditched the synths for a grand piano on this beautiful tune

Howard Jones – Hide & Seek (Live Aid ’85)

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
His follow-up album, Dream Into Action, was even bigger in the US, and included this funky tune

Howard Jones – Life in One Day

And here's one of the big hits from the album
Howard Jones – Things Can Only Get Better (remastered)

The other big hit was first released on this album, but it was the version rearranged by Phil Collins that became the hit single

Howard Jones – No One is to Blame (Phil Collins Arr.)

He scored a few more top 40 hits with his next couple of albums, but no more favorites for me.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The guy Mark Goodman calls "Mister Frickin' Happy". Just a casual HoJo fan myself, but he has a handful of good tunes.

1. Things Can Only Get Better
2. New Song
3. No One Is To Blame
4. Everlasting Love
5. The Prisoner

Reactions: scotchandcigar

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
You mentioned in a different thread that you covered some 2010s music a while ago here. Had to drop in!

OK, let's start with a group I've mentioned before - the hardest working two guys around, the amazing Royal Blood:
Royal Blood – Figure It Out
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!! AND SO IS THE VIDEO - ONE OF THE BEST VIDEOS EVER MADE!!

The Dead Weather dropped a new disk.
Good guitar based stuff.
YES!! "Blue Blood Blues", "Treat Me Like Your Mother" and "I Feel Love" are killer!

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So as I mentioned, the front-woman is Alison Mosshart from The Kills, and the lead guitar is Dean Fertita from Queens of the Stone Age. A super group of sorts
The Dead Weather - I Feel Love (live)

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
OK, well, back to the 80's. The legendary Prince hit the R&B radio airwaves in 1980 with I Wanna Be Your Lover, and followed with Controversy in '81. But the crossover to top 40 radio came in '83, with the hit album 1999. Songs included Delirious, Little Red Corvette, and of course the title track, which (like most of us) I liked in '83, and liked again in '99

Prince – 1999 (live)

But the multi-talented artist really showed off his stuff with the release of Purple Rain in '84. Aside from singing and acting, he's a ferociously good guitarist, and it's said he can play drums and keyboards too. The album (helped along by the movie) produced several #1 hits, such as When Doves Cry, and this

Prince - Let’s Go Crazy (live)

Other hits from the album include I Would Die 4 U, and of course the title track, seen here in this legendary Super Bowl performance

Prince – Purple Rain (Super Bowl half-time show)

Throughout the 80's, he kept putting out hits like Raspberry Beret, Kiss, and Sign O' the Times. He also did the Batman soundtrack, and one of his songs became a hit cover for Sinead O'Connor.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Disclaimer: the only clip of the half-time show I can post here is the mini-documentary version. I wanted to post the entire song Purple Rain, but the NFL won't let me.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So as I mentioned, the front-woman is Alison Mosshart from The Kills, and the lead guitar is Dean Fertita from Queens of the Stone Age. A super group of sorts
The Dead Weather - I Feel Love (live)
There's that Gretch White Falcon again.

I keep forgetting the guitar player is from QOTSA.
Aside from singing and acting, he's a ferociously good guitarist,
Understatement.
That lil bastard could shred!
Was it Eric Clapton that was asked something about being the greatest guitar player and said, I don't know. Ask Prince.
Respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadchild