Scotch Sampler

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I saw Morphine in Chicago back in 94. Frigging awesome. Sandman was the shiz.

I also ran into them at the airport in Copenhagen Denmark about 8 months later. They were on their way to play the Roskilde Festival. They hadn't been recognized before while they were out traveling like that. They were really cool and friendly for the minute we talked to them. Mark also said that they were a little freaked out being recognized like that. We didn't hassle them for photos or autographs or anything. It was small talks stuff: Love your music. Saw you in Chicago. Where ya going? Been to Amsterdam yet? Have fun. Hope to catch another show. Yadda yadda.

Their other band Treat Her Right had a little FM airplay too.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I thought it was worth posting about the success of an indie artist who's getting commercial airplay. Kurt Vile, the low-key slacker singer and guitarist, who broke out from the band The War On Drugs back in 2008, now has a hit with Pretty Pimpin, from his most recent album of 2015.

Kurt Vile – Pretty Pimpin

His previous album from 2013 contained several songs that were played on the indie and alternative stations. Here's one of those songs, a great, laid-back jam that typifies his style. So spark-up, pour a tall one, and enjoy...

Kurt Vile – Wakin on a Pretty Day

I can't feature Kurt Vile without mentioning The War On Drugs, whose 2014 album Lost In The Dream was one of the top albums of the year. Here's one of the big hits from that album

The War on Drugs – Under the Pressure

Finally, I must include my favorite TWOD song, which sounds like it could've been a Mark Knopfler tune. Give it time to build...

The War on Drugs – An Ocean In Between the Waves

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
That Ocean in between the Waves song is pretty good. The drummer looks like Benicio Del Toro. Makes me wonder what a band made up of Benicios would look like

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Time for a new installation of the sampler. Here's a couple of woman-fronted guitar rock bands. Both put out a new album last year.

Wolf Alice is a relatively new name on the music scene. A British group, They released their 1st full album last year. The big single from that is called "Bros", which is a nicely rocking pop song, but several other tracks have more of a classic rock sound. Plus, Ellie Rowsell's nice to look at, too. Here's 2 of the other songs from that album.

Wolf Alice – Giant Peach

Wolf Alice – Moaning Lisa Smile

Speedy Ortiz has been around for a few years now. Their 2nd album was released last year. The band has a really unique sound, with vocals reminiscent of Pavement, and very non-standard chord structures and time signatures. It's hard rock for the thinking man. Here's 2 tracks that have gotten radio play, from the most recent album.

Speedy Ortiz – Raising the Skate

Speedy Ortiz – The Graduates

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Great tune. I remember it when I was a kid, but you don't hear it much these days.

Kinda reminds me of "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro