Scotch Sampler

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Music' started by scotchandcigar, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I liked him best with the White Stripes. He made some fun (and catchy tunes) with Meg White. And I put 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground' as one of his best songs, in fact one of the best songs of that decade.
  2. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

All good tunes. I especially like Sylvan Esso. They play Radio on AltNation
    scotchandcigar and HecticArt like this.
  3. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

now there is a political statement we can agree on. this election cycle was the first time the band endorsed a candidate. well, it wasn't that blatant. fishman wore a bernie dress instead of his usual donut dress. usually this would upset me cause i really liked how everyone knew phish was liberal but they would never preach. in this case i think fishman is actual friends with sanders so it's not so bad. and there was no preaching, just a dress.

[​IMG]
    scotchandcigar and semipenguin like this.
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Sleeveless?
    Really?

He must be high.
    scotchandcigar likes this.
  5. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Before we end "Bands from Boston" week in ATW, I thought I'd feature some actual music of bands from Boston.

The founding members of The Pixies met at U Mass Amherst; their song about it is my favorite from them.
    The Pixies – U Mass

Believe it or not, I think that in the 90's, nobody did the "wall of guitars" grunge sound better than Juliana Hatfield on the album "Only Everything". It's hard to pick just one song to play here, but this one definitely rocks.
    Juliana Hatfield – OK OK

On the other end of the spectrum, the album "I'm With Stupid" from Aimee Mann is full of songs that trigger deep emotions; it's my go-to album when I'm going through tough times. Aside from Aimee's beautiful voice, listen to the subtle interweaving of instrumentation, which occurs over the span of the song.
    Aimee Mann – Par For The Course

A lot of great folk rock has come from Boston. Jonatha Brooke is not a big name, but she had a hit album some years ago, and she's one of the best live performers around, due to her flawless voice. She's also a masterful guitarist and pianist.
    Jonatha Brooke – Crumbs

And finally, the band Letters To Cleo had a good run in the 90's, fronted by the adorable Kay Hanley. Here's one of their hit songs. (And in-case you’re wondering, the chorus is: "The comfort of a knowledge of a rise above the sky above could never parallel the challenge of an acquisition in the here and now.")
    Letters To Cleo – Here and Now
    semipenguin and HecticArt like this.
  6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Good. Good. Sleepy, but not bad. Good. Great. They need to play Hear and Now more often on Lithium
    HecticArt and scotchandcigar like this.
  7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That about covers it.
    scotchandcigar likes this.