Scotch Sampler

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I liked him best with the White Stripes. He made some fun (and catchy tunes) with Meg White. And I put 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground' as one of his best songs, in fact one of the best songs of that decade.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Here's the 2nd half of my picks.

The Record Company is a roots rock band that hit it big in 2016, first with “Off The Ground”, then with “Rita Mae Young”. Here’s the song that put them on the map.

The Record Company – Off The Ground

Prince’s final album was “HitnRun Phase Two”. The song “Stare” was released on Spotify in September 2015, but the single charted on the radio in 2016. This is a reduced-quality version; the real one is only available on Spotify.

Prince – Stare

Sylvan Esso is an awesome electronica duo, whose first album contained several charting songs. Their next album isn’t out yet, but they released the single “Radio” way ahead of that. It’s their biggest hit to date.

Sylvan Esso - Radio

Temples is a British psych rock band that has had some success since 2012. This single is from their upcoming album. It’s got a “Legend of Zelda” sound.

Temples – Certainty

Acclaimed artist PJ Harvey put out a new album in 2016, “The Hope Six Demolition Project”. Here’s the hit from that album, “The Wheel”.

PJ Harvey – The Wheel

All good tunes. I especially like Sylvan Esso. They play Radio on AltNation

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I don't imagine there were many Trump/Pence supporters who worked on that video.

now there is a political statement we can agree on. this election cycle was the first time the band endorsed a candidate. well, it wasn't that blatant. fishman wore a bernie dress instead of his usual donut dress. usually this would upset me cause i really liked how everyone knew phish was liberal but they would never preach. in this case i think fishman is actual friends with sanders so it's not so bad. and there was no preaching, just a dress.

021_160622_phish_st_paul_rene_huemer_S1A8730.jpg

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Before we end "Bands from Boston" week in ATW, I thought I'd feature some actual music of bands from Boston.

The founding members of The Pixies met at U Mass Amherst; their song about it is my favorite from them.
The Pixies – U Mass

Believe it or not, I think that in the 90's, nobody did the "wall of guitars" grunge sound better than Juliana Hatfield on the album "Only Everything". It's hard to pick just one song to play here, but this one definitely rocks.
Juliana Hatfield – OK OK

On the other end of the spectrum, the album "I'm With Stupid" from Aimee Mann is full of songs that trigger deep emotions; it's my go-to album when I'm going through tough times. Aside from Aimee's beautiful voice, listen to the subtle interweaving of instrumentation, which occurs over the span of the song.
Aimee Mann – Par For The Course

A lot of great folk rock has come from Boston. Jonatha Brooke is not a big name, but she had a hit album some years ago, and she's one of the best live performers around, due to her flawless voice. She's also a masterful guitarist and pianist.
Jonatha Brooke – Crumbs

And finally, the band Letters To Cleo had a good run in the 90's, fronted by the adorable Kay Hanley. Here's one of their hit songs. (And in-case you’re wondering, the chorus is: "The comfort of a knowledge of a rise above the sky above could never parallel the challenge of an acquisition in the here and now.")
Letters To Cleo – Here and Now

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Before we end "Bands from Boston" week in ATW, I thought I'd feature some actual music of bands from Boston.

The founding members of The Pixies met at U Mass Amherst; their song about it is my favorite from them.
The Pixies – U Mass

Believe it or not, I think that in the 90's, nobody did the "wall of guitars" grunge sound better than Juliana Hatfield on the album "Only Everything". It's hard to pick just one song to play here, but this one definitely rocks.
Juliana Hatfield – OK OK

On the other end of the spectrum, the album "I'm With Stupid" from Aimee Mann is full of songs that trigger deep emotions; it's my go-to album when I'm going through tough times. Aside from Aimee's beautiful voice, listen to the subtle interweaving of instrumentation, which occurs over the span of the song.
Aimee Mann – Par For The Course

A lot of great folk rock has come from Boston. Jonatha Brooke is not a big name, but she had a hit album some years ago, and she's one of the best live performers around, due to her flawless voice. She's also a masterful guitarist and pianist.
Jonatha Brooke – Crumbs

And finally, the band Letters To Cleo had a good run in the 90's, fronted by the adorable Kay Hanley. Here's one of their hit songs. (And in-case you’re wondering, the chorus is: "The comfort of a knowledge of a rise above the sky above could never parallel the challenge of an acquisition in the here and now.")
Letters To Cleo – Here and Now

Good. Good. Sleepy, but not bad. Good. Great. They need to play Hear and Now more often on Lithium

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Here's a trio of old, broken-up groups, who have reformed, and put out decent new songs.

I'm not sure she can still sing live, but this studio track sounds good
Blondie – Long Time

Every decade or so, we get something new from these guys
Depeche Mode – Where’s the Revolution

And here's the band that very publicly did a farewell tour 7 years ago. They performed this on SNL recently, and I think it's one of their best long-form songs
LCD Soundsystem – Call the Police

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just saw Blondie on one of the late night shows. She did ok with her vocals. I've herd her not sound so good live before. I don't know how well she would hold up on tour, or if she's just gotten back into a better singing condition.

I like the Depressed Mode.

I love the LCD.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Here's a trio of old, broken-up groups, who have reformed, and put out decent new songs.

I'm not sure she can still sing live, but this studio track sounds good
Blondie – Long Time

Every decade or so, we get something new from these guys
Depeche Mode – Where’s the Revolution

And here's the band that very publicly did a farewell tour 7 years ago. They performed this on SNL recently, and I think it's one of their best long-form songs
LCD Soundsystem – Call the Police

Three good songs. I like the DM song the most.

Maybe they need an old rockers channel

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
And 2 bonus tracks

When it came out, I thought this was a cheesy song, but over time I came to appreciate the songwriting, the harmonies, and the performance

Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (with Stevie Nicks)

And I came across this special moment from 1994, Dave Grohl's 1st performance after the breakup of Nirvana (it appears to have been broadcast with this crooked image effect)

Honey Bee (with Dave Grohl)