Scotch Sampler

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Prince, like Cure and REM, defies genre but you always know it's him. And, like the others, he can make an amazing song - then on the same album make a song I hate ("Doves" and "Beret" leap to mind for that category. Oh, and everything before 1999 does nothing for me).

1. DMSR (500+)
2. 1999 (500+)
3. Little Red Corvette (500+)
4. Batdance (500+)
5. Take Me With U (500+)
6. The Arms Of Orion (mostly for personal reasons, nostalgia, a certain time in my life, a certain ex-girlfriend)
7. I Luv U In Me (b-side of Orion, same personal reasons)
8. I Would Die 4 U
9. Let's Pretend We're Married ("I'm not saying this just to be nasty, but I sincerely wanna....")
10. Lady Cab Driver ("Yeah, that's for me. That's who that one's for....")

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Today, I'm doing part 1 of a twofer 2-parter (still following?). These two bands both came from the mid-80's, had some hits, and launched the solo careers of their front-women. First up is Scandal, headed-up by Patty Smyth (possessing one of the best female rock voices in rock). Their 1982 debut album put them on the map with this song

Scandal – Goodbye to You (live)

Their follow-up album was even stronger, and Smyth was "featured" in the band name. Here's their #7 hit

Scandal ft. Patty Smyth – The Warrior

As Smyth was about to embark on her solo career, she made this appearance on Letterman in '87, with a smokin' Led Zep cover (followed by an awkwardly fawning Dave interview)

Patty Smyth – Whole Lotta Love (live on Letterman ’87)

Right when Scandal was breaking-up, the band 'Til Tuesday, fronted by Aimee Mann, launched their 1985 debut album, with this hit title track

‘Til Tuesday – Voices Carry (live)

A year later, they released Welcome Home, which produced the top 40 hit What About Love, and this beautiful song

‘Til Tuesday – Coming Up Close

The band followed with the minor hit (Believed You Were) Lucky, but then they broke-up. Both front-women went on to launch solo careers. Smyth released her first solo effort in '87, but she didn't see solo success until 92/93, which is when Aimee Mann's solo career began. And that will be for another day.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I couldn’t picture very many women touring with VH, especially back then.
They weren't really known for treating women well. Someone like Patty that said she didn’t party seems crazy they even considered it.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Today's artist includes another perfect album (just added to that thread). Here are my favorites from Tears for Fears. Their 1983 debut album The Hurting contained the hits Change (also worthy of the xylophone thread) and Mad World. But instead of posting their version of Mad World, I'd like to use a version which I consider to be one of the all-time best covers: from the Donnie Darko soundtrack, by Gary Jules

Tears for Fears (Gary Jules cover) – Mad World (Donnie Darko soundtrack)

But it was their 1985 sophomore album Songs From the Big Chair that I consider perfect; every song is good, and it contains not one #1 hit, but two #1 hits, and a #3. Everybody Wants to Rule the World went to #1, as did this iconic anthem

Tears for Fears - Shout

Another favorite of mine is this rhythmically intense tune

Tears for Fears – Mothers Talk

And this two song pair is just beautifully written

Tears for Fears – Broken/ Head Over Heels (live)

Following the success of this album, they took quite a long break before releasing their next album in '89, which contained the hit Sowing the Seeds of Love. And that was it for them in the 80's.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm revisiting Dire Straits to cover their landmark album Brothers in Arms; an album that went to #1, that won a Grammy, that generated 5 hit singles. I like the moody opener So Far Away, as well as the snappy Walk of Life. But between those two tracks on the album is this irreverent song

Dire Straits (with Sting) – Money For Nothing (Live Aid ’85)

It's close to a perfect album. All these songs are great: Your Latest Trick, Why Worry, and Ride Across the River (plus the others I mentioned). But the closing title track just transports me to a different place, with a long solo by the great Mark Knopfler

Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms (live)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They tried to ban Money for Nothing in Canada in the early 2000s. They received 1 complaint to the radio governence body because of the term 'faggot' used in the song. The body tried to ban it. It was not well received. A radio station in Nova Scotia played the song repeatedly for 1 full day, Another played it on the top of every hour. Eventually the body backed down. However, what is now played is an edited version. The offending verse is just an instrumental. This is the same one used on SXM. It pisses me off everytime they play it so I actually change channels to avoid being pissed. I do listen to the real version when I get the chance.