Scotch Sampler

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Bad Religion has been around for a long time, and they put out a ton of albums, each with a bunch of songs on them. They're an "intellectual" punk band. I knew nothing about them until they made it to mainstream radio, with this song from 1994's Stranger Than Fiction

Bad Religion – 21st Century (Digital Boy) (live on Jon Stewart)

I bought the album, and it also had these songs that they performed live

Bad Religion – Infected (live on Letterman)

Bad Religion – Stranger than Fiction (live)

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Sebadoh is a project of the prolific Lou Barlow, of Dinosaur jr. They were an underground band, until 1994's Bakesale made it to mainstream radio. The album opens with this

Sebadoh – License to Confuse

and then there's this
Sebadoh – Not Too Amused

But these are the songs that were radio hits.

Sebadoh – Rebound (live)

Sebadoh – Skull

Barlow later got mainstream success with Folk Implosion, and the song Natural One.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
You're on a rampage today Scotch!
Matthew Sweet is great.
Bad Religion and Sebadoh are cool too.
I have a method for coming up with my lists; it involves several music charts, critics' countdowns, plus my own collection. I didn't plan to post so many artists. But when I research what's missing, I have to review the album/singles releases for each artist, and by the time I get done with that, I basically have what I need to post it. So I did.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I know you're all wondering, "Scotch, who's the artist you forgot, that got your whole list derailed yesterday?" Right? Well it's Canada's own Alanis Morissette.

Following her stint on Nickelodeon's You Can't Do That On Television, she released two hit albums that were sold only in Canada. So, as a 'Murican, I knew nothing about her singing ability, until that Sunday night in '95, watching MTV's 120 Minutes, I saw this video that blew my mind

Alanis Morissette – All I Really Want

I thought, "That's some good shit!" She was hot, in an unencumbered way; wild but intellectual; and talented. And she rocked! And everyone who saw that video said to themselves, "This is the way out of those godforsaken grunge doldrums!"

What we didn't know, was that behind the scenes, there was Glen Ballard's songwriting, and Taylor Hawkins' (later of the Foo Fighters) drumming. Of course, it all hinges on the awesome singing and performing capabilities of Alanis herself. The album Jagged Little Pill went ballistic; one of the biggest debuts by a female artist ever. Big hits included Hand in My Pocket, You Learn, and Ironic, plus these

Look at how she rips through this smoking TV premier performance on Letterman

Alanis Morissette – You Oughta Know (live on Letterman)

On a personal note, this album came out just as I started dating Mrs. Scotch. While trying to impress her with my audiophile rig, I said something about this song reminding me of us, and it ended up being played at our wedding

Alanis Morissette – Head Over Feet (live)

A few years later, she belted out this song for the City of Angels soundtrack
Alanis Morissette – Uninvited (live)

None of her subsequent album releases did nearly as well, but this song from 1998's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie was popular

Alanis Morissette – Thank U (live)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't think she did much up here before "Jagged Little Pill" either. I have that album and "City of Angels" and "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" which got some play up here (CANCON!). The 2 releases "Thank U" and "Unsent".

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I don't think she did much up here before "Jagged Little Pill" either. I have that album and "City of Angels" and "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" which got some play up here (CANCON!). The 2 releases "Thank U" and "Unsent".
In 1991, MCA Records Canada released Morissette's debut album, Alanis, in Canada only. The dance-pop album went platinum, and its first single, "Too Hot", reached the top 20 on the RPM singles chart. Subsequent singles "Walk Away" and "Feel Your Love" reached the top 40. Morissette was nominated for three 1992 Juno Awards: Most Promising Female Vocalist of the Year (which she won), Single of the Year and Best Dance Recording (both for "Too Hot").

In 1992, she released her second album, Now Is the Time, produced three top 40 singles—"An Emotion Away", the minor adult contemporary hit "No Apologies" as well as "(Change Is) Never a Waste of Time".

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
In 1991, MCA Records Canada released Morissette's debut album, Alanis, in Canada only. The dance-pop album went platinum, and its first single, "Too Hot", reached the top 20 on the RPM singles chart. Subsequent singles "Walk Away" and "Feel Your Love" reached the top 40. Morissette was nominated for three 1992 Juno Awards: Most Promising Female Vocalist of the Year (which she won), Single of the Year and Best Dance Recording (both for "Too Hot").

In 1992, she released her second album, Now Is the Time, produced three top 40 singles—"An Emotion Away", the minor adult contemporary hit "No Apologies" as well as "(Change Is) Never a Waste of Time".
I remember seeing an interview with her early on saying her influences were Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. Hard to imagine later in her career. Also remember her from YCDTOTV since it aired on nickelodeon in the states for a while.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

I have not heard any of those songs or even seen one of those albums in stores. Could have been timing as I may not have been into alternative as much then.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I know Jagged was massive and you couldn't avoid it even if you hid away in a cave in Iraq that year. But I was never was an Alanis fan. I do think "You Oughta Know" is good, and "Ironic" is okay (despite the lack of irony in its lyrics). But I can't take "Hand In My Pocket" or "All I Really Want". I know I'm in the minority on this, seeing it's 16x platinum in the US alone. But she just doesn't do it for me.

Oh, I do like "Uninvited", which came out soon after Jagged.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Decisions, decisions. I'm on the fence about these next two. But I'm going to give an honorable mention to No Doubt's 1995 album Tragic Kingdom. Lots of hits, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

And I'll officially add Everclear to my favorites list, with reservations. Their breakout hit was 1995's Santa Monica. But I got into their '97 album So Much for the Afterglow. Aside from the title track, there's all these songs, telling a similar story of abandonment and poverty.

Everclear - Everything to Everyone

Everclear – I Will Buy You a New Life

And in a rare live performance that isn't crap...
Everclear - Father of Mine (live on Conan)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have their "Songs From An American Movie, Vol. 1: Learning How to Smile" (2000). I really like all the tracks expescially "AM Radio" and "Wonderful". I like the ones you posted and will likely do some downloading later tonight. I do think the guy has serious father issues. They seem to be the subject of several of his songs.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I do think the guy has serious father issues.
That's what drives me crazy about Everclear.
He's got father issues and it brings me down.
I mean, good for him for working through them and making a living at it, but it still brings me down.

"I am still waiting on my toast."
"Lonely and dreaming of the French Toast."