Scott Ferrall leaving Sirius H101

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I'm guessing they could get rid of H101. but wouldn't they keep it just for the advertising revenue the channel generates? And if they do decide to can that channel why would they hold on to Tim Sabean?

Who knows this may free up some cash for more staff. I'd say move Nick and Artie over to H101 8PM-Midnight and bring in a new afternoon show.

I highly doubt nick and artie would be willing to come to H101 and get paid in plugs.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
I'm guessing they could get rid of H101. but wouldn't they keep it just for the advertising revenue the channel generates? And if they do decide to can that channel why would they hold on to Tim Sabean?

Who knows this may free up some cash for more staff. I'd say move Nick and Artie over to H101 8PM-Midnight and bring in a new afternoon show.

If Nick and Artie got a slot I would probably never listen to Howard again.

Unless of course Lisa Lampignally or Cindy Lauper was on.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
Even when Howard was good and when Bubba was still on 101 I never listened to Ferrel. Evenings is the time I listen to very little radio and when I do, it is in short bursts and i usally flip between music stations.

What in gods name will they replace this with?

I am guessing NOTHING. Tim Sabien has to have the easiest job at Sirius. He manages TWO channels, one of which only plays one show for 24 hours straight. The other is a best of channel NOW with MAYBE one live show per day. Maybe.

And he probably makes about $250,000 per year.

I'm with you. if the stern channels really wanted to save some money, they'd fire tim since he obviously servers no purpose. tim has to be aware of this, which is why he constantly tries to tell everyone how much work he's doing and how many hours a day he puts into his job.

well hopefully black on black can get more than 1 show every two months with the extra 20 hours of airtime thats available.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Good point. I'd imagine the rates are higher to advertise on a "Howard Stern Channel" than, say, Raw Dog.

Bubba talked about Ferrall's situation for a little bit. They may try to have him on tomorrow's show. They're now playing the "Ferrall in the Delivery Room" bit that was on one of the CDs.

microbob

Oct 14, 2008
Ferrall will have very few affiliates. 15 stations from the start, and He will not be heard in either New york or Chicago. The sports radio dial is too crowded. There are 4 national networks and they are not all going to make it.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
If Nick and Artie got a slot I would probably never listen to Howard again.

Unless of course Lisa Lampignally or Cindy Lauper was on.

Would Nick and Artie work for what Sirius/Howard generally pays? Would Sirius/Howard pay what Artie is worth?

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Ferrall will have very few affiliates. 15 stations from the start, and He will not be heard in either New york or Chicago. The sports radio dial is too crowded. There are 4 national networks and they are not all going to make it.

So Ferrall is leaving for a better payday, which is unsurprising, but I'd love to know what the difference in pay will be.

I don't know how Howard isn't COMPLETELY embarrassed by his own channels. But I suppose he's too rich to care. Even Sirius should be livid about the state of those channels. There doesn't seem to be a lot of quality control at Sirius, which is just sad.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Since nick and artie is already on SXM 94, I think it would be wise to move it to or simulcast on H101, to increase listener ship. If it goes okay, they could maybe pay them more and let them do an extra hour or an uncensored version of it? just a thought.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
sad to see him go. its sad how much the brass hates howie these days and will do everything they can to fuck his channels.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The Nick and Artie Show is already on Sirius. And with Jim Rome moving to CBS Sports Radio, it wouldn't surprise me if he and Scotty end up on Sirius next year.

Good point. Ferrall's FM radio show could end up back up on SiriusXM if CBS signed a deal. We know SiriusXM already has similar deals in place to carry non-exclusive talent.

Wouldn't that be funny? Too bad he couldn't swear.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So Ferrall is leaving for a better payday, which is unsurprising, but I'd love to know what the difference in pay will be.

I don't know how Howard isn't COMPLETELY embarrassed by his own channels. But I suppose he's too rich to care. Even Sirius should be livid about the state of those channels. There doesn't seem to be a lot of quality control at Sirius, which is just sad.

sad to see him go. its sad how much the brass hates howie these days and will do everything they can to fuck his channels.

Today's BTLS Daily Debriefing continued the point that, yes, the current brass doesn't get along with Howard. The BTLS guys mentioned that you really need to kiss Howard's ass and make him happy. If "you" (aka management) start to go on an ego-trip and think YOU'RE the one in charge, you piss Howard off and then he goes into slack-mode.

Look at this example, which they pointed out:

2004: Howard announces going to Sirius, a company which has about 600,000 subscribers, and people are mispronouncing as "Cyrus" radio.

2006: Sirius has a bit over 1 million subscribers. (Between Christmas 2005 and early January 2006, the phone lines are swamped with new activations and even finding radios on the shelves was moderately difficult.) Things were going GREAT. Scott Ferrall was doing remote broadcasts all over the country, including an occasional Saturday night broadcast. Bubba was the same way with remote broadcasts.

2008: Sirius begins to talk of a merger with XM. Sirius brass begins to crack down on Howard's show, as well as Bubba's show. No penetration, no "shock the puss" and no "liquid ass" stunts. The "BTLS warm line" rang off the hook. Bubba would do stuff, only to find it banned a few days later.

2009: Bubba does one day a week at SiriusXM, due to a combination of his contract with COX and his recently re-signed contract with SiriusXM.

2011: Howard starts a new contract with SiriusXM for three days a week. He doesn't work a day over what he's supposed to work. BTLS is gone from SiriusXM. SiriusXM management won't even replay his FM show for free.

2012: Liberty Media owns 49.5% of SiriusXM. BTLS mentions that if they take a majority ownership, there is a very good chance of a return of the BTLS show to SiriusXM airwaves, if only a replay deal, due to Bubba's current deals with COX and RadioIO.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Howard likes to be told he is helping whatever company or station he is at. If he is treated like a regular employee or disregaurded, he feels slighted, whether its justified or not. All Sirius needs to do is do a check up and press release or some advertising of him every few months highlighting his show or doing something to promote it or say that it is a part of the Sirius foundation. Howard came into Sirius feeling like he was in on the whole satellite thing, so in his mind if they just humored him and made him feel more welcome, I think it would go a long way.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I realize others would say no one needs to be nice or treat Howard any one way, but I oh well. I just think there wasn't enough follow-up on Howards show throughout the years on Sirius, as far as promotion and catering to him in a small way to keep him happy and keep the 'revolution' up. just my 2 cents.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard likes to be told he is helping whatever company or station he is at. If he is treated like a regular employee or disregaurded, he feels slighted, whether its justified or not. All Sirius needs to do is do a check up and press release or some advertising of him every few months highlighting his show or doing something to promote it or say that it is a part of the Sirius foundation. Howard came into Sirius feeling like he was in on the whole satellite thing, so in his mind if they just humored him and made him feel more welcome, I think it would go a long way.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I realize others would say no one needs to be nice or treat Howard any one way, but I oh well. I just think there wasn't enough follow-up on Howards show throughout the years on Sirius, as far as promotion and catering to him in a small way to keep him happy and keep the 'revolution' up. just my 2 cents.

Exactly. Remember when Howard was pumped up about Sirius, going around to the late-night shows and passing out free radios? Today, he asked (sarcastically?) if he could get out a bit after 9:30.

He was on the air past 11:30 AM the day of the Film Fest.

Management of any company CANNOT treat Howard as a regular joe. You NEED to treat him better than your CEO.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Exactly. Remember when Howard was pumped up about Sirius, going around to the late-night shows and passing out free radios? Today, he asked (sarcastically?) if he could get out a bit after 9:30.

He was on the air past 11:30 AM the day of the Film Fest.

Management of any company CANNOT treat Howard as a regular joe. You NEED to treat him better than your CEO.

He sounds like a typical established celebrity to me. There's a point when they realize that they don't have to do anything and everything to get by, and that others are making money because of what they bring to the table. Look at all of the stuff actors and musicians require from promoters and producers. Once you've made it to a certain point in your career why would you want to be treated like a typical employee? It is the "Howard Stern Show", not the "Sirius Wacky Times Morning Show with Howard and Robin"

microbob

Oct 14, 2008
I could never figure out why Sirius has not done just that with Howard and the show. I believe that management makes a mistake not to to treat The Stern show and both channels as the gold standard in Radio. Invest in content, stroke the guy's ego a bit. He would promote the company when He's on AGT Letterman and so on. It would be a win win for both the fans and the company.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I could never figure out why Sirius has not done just that with Howard and the show. I believe that management makes a mistake not to to treat The Stern show and both channels as the gold standard in Radio. Invest in content, stroke the guts ego a bit. Promote the company when He's on AGT Letterman and so on.

Good point. Would it really have hurt SiriusXM to run a few commercials during the show? Heck, maybe they could have worked in a live sponsorship, similar to the Snapple product placement.

Actually, that would be funny.

"I'll rate you in a second, but first, Sharon, have you been listening to radio lately? Ever notice how boring and bland it is? Well, let me tell you all about SiriusXM."

Then..because I'm running away with this post:

*about 30 mins later*

"Howie, did you realize that SiriusXM works with Sonos? You're probably all confused about what Sonos is, so let me tell you all about it. Actually, wait just one second...BOOEY! GET IN HERE!"

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
In tribute:

Did you realize that Jesus has only done one radio interview?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBzFcvQqaOQ"]Jesus, Only on Ferrall Show - YouTube[/ame]