Semi Did It Again!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I'm not a truck driver, nor do I play one on television, but I think driving a semi is probably a lot safer than flying in a Boeing 737 MAX, Aeroflot, Ethiopian Airlines or Malaysia Airlines jet.

Truck crashes are killing more people, despite better inspections and more oversight. How safe are Colorado’s roads?

Deadly I-70 wreck was unusually severe, but fatality rates have been rising in the last decade.

I-70 truck crash near Denver part of rise in fatal wrecks, despite better oversight

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I'm not a truck driver, nor do I play one on television, but I think driving a semi is probably a lot safer than flying in a Boeing 737 MAX, Aeroflot, Ethiopian Airlines or Malaysia Airlines jet.

Truck crashes are killing more people, despite better inspections and more oversight. How safe are Colorado’s roads?

Deadly I-70 wreck was unusually severe, but fatality rates have been rising in the last decade.

I-70 truck crash near Denver part of rise in fatal wrecks, despite better oversight
Where do I start?

1. Electric logs make it easier for trucking companies to see how many hours drivers have available to drive. It you have hours, you can drive. Freight needs to be moved.

As a new driver in 1998, I can't tell you how many times I've driven tired because I had hours and freight had to be moved. New drivers can feel they better move, or risk being punished for not doing so.

2. Other drivers. Mostly those in cars, pickups, and SUVs. They drive with their head up their ass and wonder why they get into accidents. It's ok to cut off a trucker, just so you can get off an the next exit.

How qualified is that truck driver? Can they stop at that same exit you just got off of?

You can survive a fender bender with another car. You may not if it's with a truck.

3. Lots of new drivers. Trucking companies and truck driving schools are turning out drivers at a fast pace. They can't wait 8 weeks for them to complete their training. They need them now, so they can move freight.

A lot of these people have no business behind the wheel of a semi tractor trailer. They can drive. They can pick up and deliver freight. But they can't handle the trucking life or driving up to 11 hours a day.

They don't know how to navigate 16 miles of 6% downhill grades. Or 50 mile an hour roads that take you from Tennessee to North Carolina.

4. Distractions. They are magnified 100 fold when your in a truck.

At 60 MPH, it takes over 300 feet for an 18 wheeler to stop. That's over twice the distance it takes a car to stop.

Put a cell phone in their hand, and I'm sure it will take a little bit longer.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I flew on Aeroflop before.
I would swear that we had the same pilot.
That landing was brutal.
I think I read somewhere that commercial pilots only take an 8 hour break between flights.

I'm not sure, but 8 hours is not enough time for me to get a good night's sleep, shower, eat, bang a Thai ladyboy hooker, then get back in the cockpit and fly 150 to 200+ people to their destination.

I guess that's why a few pilots are getting in the cockpit intoxicated.

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think I read somewhere that commercial pilots only take an 8 hour break between flights.

I'm not sure, but 8 hours is not enough time for me to get a good night's sleep, shower, eat, bang a Thai ladyboy hooker, then get back in the cockpit and fly 150 to 200+ people to their destination.

Truckers don't have auto-pilot (the pilot's nap button).

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

A huge percentage of Russian pilots are supposed have been former military. They are used to short hard landings, and Chechen ladyboy hookers.

Reactions: semipenguin

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Who the heck measures bees by the pound? Anyway, nobody got stung. That's because hardly anyone lives in Montana.

Semi-truck carrying 40,000 pounds of honey bees crashes in Montana

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/11/us/semi-truck-bee-crash-trnd/index.html
Most tractor trailers can legally be 80,000 lbs loaded.

Truck and trailer are usually anywhere between 30,000-35,000 lbs.

That leaves around 40,000 to 48,000 of freight that can pull without being considered overweight.

It's not really the bees that add weight, it's the bee's homes.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I just found out that the Massachusetts husband & wife couple who died, were cousins of my best friend from work. They have 2 daughters who are pregnant, and they were planning to be the daycare providers for one of them. Like the other riders, the guy was a marine vet.
That sucks. I feel bad for them.

What I've read, they are still trying to find out how it happened.