Sirius Bug

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Got an old Xact XTR7 deactivated a bit over a year ago now, still goes strong. For about 6 months it didn't get used at all, sat in a box, but the last 3 months I've been using it like crazy in my bedroom in the boombox and still goes strong.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Leave that dawg on for several hours and it will eventually get turned off. You are doing the hit and miss thing. The difference with Sirius is that you can leave tuners on for weeks without turning them off and they will never get deactivated. But that XM tuner you leave it on and it will eventually get turned off.

Bingo, you can usually get away with about a half hour or so at a time, but anything over that (or sometimes even under that) you get the UPDATING... and then it goes to channel 1. I had a MyFi that was off for a year, tried turning it on for shits and giggles. 5 seconds after it picked up the signal it got zapped. My Stratus and Stiletto I deactivated a few weeks ago still work (Stiletto's internet doesn't work though, says Sub Error) but i haven't left them on for any substantial period of time.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My Stratus and Stiletto I deactivated a few weeks ago still work (Stiletto's internet doesn't work though, says Sub Error) but i haven't left them on for any substantial period of time.

Strange my SL2 still picks up Internet Radio even though the tuner is unsubscribed. I can still get satellite too, but have only left it on there about 5 minutes since unsubscribing. I did go to sleep a few nights ago with it on in Interent Radio, played all night. Now I no longer get the 128kbps, I just get the 32kbps.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
If you leave the radio OFF for 3 plus months ,then turn it on after that then it will stay working

then explain how they shut off one that had been cancelled for over a year and was working for 4 months and then all of a sudden it got shut off.

i figured i would use shut off instead of zapped just for you dab. :)

Last edited:

leviramsey

Nov 24, 2008
I picked up a PNP2 from my mom that had lain dormant for a couple of months after she transferred a lifetime sub (to an Orbiter, IIRC). I had free Sirius for about a month or so of nearly round-the-clock usage before it got a kill signal.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Strange my SL2 still picks up Internet Radio even though the tuner is unsubscribed. I can still get satellite too, but have only left it on there about 5 minutes since unsubscribing. I did go to sleep a few nights ago with it on in Interent Radio, played all night. Now I no longer get the 128kbps, I just get the 32kbps.

Sirius eventually will get around to disabling your internet access. They go about it in Sirius time ... weeks months years instead of hours or days.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
They turned mine off in less than a week, DAB must have just gotten lucky.

They turned off the 128kb streaming, but the 32 kb was not turned off. I was thinking back to my SL100, I kept that thing about 6 months after I got the SL2 before I sold it and the internet radio continued to work on it too even after I did the tuner swap. I was always under the impression that unless they deactivated the sat side, the internet side would continue to work. Interesting!

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
They turned off the 128kb streaming, but the 32 kb was not turned off. I was thinking back to my SL100, I kept that thing about 6 months after I got the SL2 before I sold it and the internet radio continued to work on it too even after I did the tuner swap. I was always under the impression that unless they deactivated the sat side, the internet side would continue to work. Interesting!

I just tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. The exact error is "Subscription Problem" in gold (it pops up in a little box) then it says "If this continues, call SIRIUS Customer Care at 800-869-5364" and the PAD data says Channel Unavailable for artist and Subscription Problem for song.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. The exact error is "Subscription Problem" in gold (it pops up in a little box) then it says "If this continues, call SIRIUS Customer Care at 800-869-5364" and the PAD data says Channel Unavailable for artist and Subscription Problem for song.

So on the sat side has your tuner been deactivated?

Leave that dawg on for several hours and it will eventually get turned off. You are doing the hit and miss thing. The difference with Sirius is that you can leave tuners on for weeks without turning them off and they will never get deactivated. But that XM tuner you leave it on and it will eventually get turned off.

My wife used it on a cruise from Boston to Bermuda about a month and a half ago and wore it for hours at a time and it never shut off.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My wife used it on a cruise from Boston to Bermuda about a month and a half ago and wore it for hours at a time and it never shut off.

That is still hit and miss use Scott, you can turned it on and used it for spurts of time an hour or two here and there. You can do that, but when you least expect it, they will hit it.

The point is that the more you use it the more likely it will get hit and I have certainly never been able to leave an XM tuner on for days, weeks or months without it getting turned off, I can't say the same for Sirius. Given I have one tuner with over 1 year and another with 2 years and I have purposely left them on trying to get them turned off. Also if you call XM and tell them you have a tuner that is still active as I have with SIRIUS they will turn that sucker off. Sirius will tell you that ESN is no longer in their system and they can't do anything about it, but eventually it will get turned off. LOL

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Nope. Still works. Like I said, I haven't left it on for more than 15 minutes or so since it's been deactivated.

Well that is very interesting. Who know for sure what the deal is. Yours would indicate they can indeed turn off the internet radio side. However, mine has been left on several nights all night and still works, so it makes no sense, but I think IRBS is probably right it will just be with they get around to it on their time frame.

Jager

Nov 16, 2008
Virginia
Sirius eventually will get around to disabling your internet access. They go about it in Sirius time ... weeks months years instead of hours or days.

I canceled Dec 15th and they disabled my internet access within a day. I haven't had my tuner hooked up in about a month so I haven't tried it yet

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Honestly, I am surprised that there is not some sort of audit process that requires a periodic re-authorization of the tuner.

jeff94

Oct 22, 2008
Boise, ID
Beats the Worldspace method:
The currently available receivers are manually coded for subscription authorization. A password, valid for varying periods of time depending upon the length of the subscription purchased and paid for, is provided to a subscriber and entered into the receiver. Currently passwords are re-validated on a quarterly basis. Upon subscription renewal, a new passcode is provided and similarly entered into the receiver. As new receiver products are introduced, there are plans to provide over-the-air activation of subscriptions.

Taken from: 1worldspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia