Sirius.com apparently changes login code, 3rd party players now broken

Discussion in 'SIR & XMRO Internet Radio' started by Phreaker47, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I just posted this in another thread but I think maybe it deserves its own.

It appears that Sirius.com changed their login code, and now applications such as Usirius and the Sirius Yahoo Widget can no longer log in successfully.

This morning, I found Usirius (which I use to pipe SIR through my house via a Windows Media Playlist) was disconnected. Additionally, my Yahoo Widget failed to log in. I then went to Sirius.com's official web player and was told I was locked out for too many failed login attempts. After a call to sirius, I got this reset and was able to login via the web player. However, Usirius and the widget both continue to fail.

Others have reported that they were unable to log in at all earlier this morning. It appears they did some kind of update.

This really sucks because it completely ruins how I use Sirius Online. I hope this apps can be fixed some time soon.

2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Not the first time they have tried to kill 3rd party players.

Or maybe they may be finally getting ready to release their new tabletop radio now and maybe it requires new login code.

3. xan_user

xan_user Banned

I guess its a new seasonal policy by a lot of companies to try and break 3rd party and non-oem functionality right before the biggest shopping weekend of the year... a lame attempt to inflate sales their figures.:loser:

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

They appear to have broken MySiriusStudio 1.5 internet connection as well. I am downloading 1.6 to see if it fixes it.

ETA: Nope. MSS 1.6 internet connection also broken. I somehow think this was not intentional.

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

According to Goodtime, they are starting to feed both the Sirius and XM internet feeds from XM's domain. As of right now my Pocket Tunes and Sirius XM App for my iPhone and iPod Touch are working again.

So, this doesn't appear to be some sort of conspiracy theory to get all 3rd party applications.

6. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Still, it's doom for uSirius, although I guess that was bound to happen. I really hope somebody can be a hero and figure out how to patch it or rewrite it. It was the one program that allowed me to have SIR on my media center PC and extender with the convenience of my remote controls.

7. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

The developer retired uSIRIUS back in March. It's not coming back. :(

If you really want, you could ask the developer for the source code (seeing as he's not doing anything with it), and I can take a look and try to fix it.

8. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I know he retired it... that's why I said "patch" or "rewrite". I'm thinking like what crackers sometimes do to software... they look at EXEs with hex editors and make changes. But I'm sure the changes required will be too drastic for that to work. Someone would need the source or just write something entirely new.

9. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

LOL. Simmer down there..... hexagram is trying to help you here.

10. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Oh I know, I didn't mean to come off as abrasive.

I have a feeling though that the source is not going to be released. The way the author very abruptly abandoned all his Sirius projects at the same time without explanation (other than to say it was "in the best interests of Millard Software) seemed to suggest that there may have been some kind of threat of legal action against him... or if not that, perhaps Sirius offered to hire him or buy out his work. Either way, I doubt the source will be released to anyone.

uSirius, uXM, and uSirius StarPlayr Retired | Millard Software

11. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I would doubt the source code would be released because of the potential liability associated with such a move. This guy isn't going to want Sirius XM coming back on him because he just threw the source code out there for everyone to start creating and/or patching using his code.

I think had Sirius XM not decided to move their internet feed to the XM domain it would likely still be working. It is amazing that Pocket Tunes is still working, which tells me that whatever they are doing is making use of Sirius XM's own information to work. These other programs that aren't working had some hard coding info and would require a fix to work again. This you already know!

12. IdRatherBeSkiing

This appearantly includes MSS and the SiriusXM app on the iPhone. LOL

13. IdRatherBeSkiing

Why are they not moving it to the siriusxm.com domain? I have always wondered why they have 2 separate internet feeds.

14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Sirius XM App is working just fine and has been see the wee hours of the morning yesterday! Then again I can only speak for the XM side, since I don't have a Sirius account, but I don't see any post saying it isn't working on the Sirius side?

Why have to reconfigure both sides, when ultimately you are simply trying to combine them under one domain. Like I said in another post in my opinion and it is pure speculation this may just be one more indicator that at some point they are going to go exclusively with the XM side only. I know you Sirius guys don't want to hear that when you start looking at the overall it becomes pretty clear they are pushing everything to the XM side.

15. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Nothing changed on the XM side. It is only SIR that made changes.

16. Skip

Skip New Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  17. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I have XM, so it was working for me it is only on the Sirius side that this issue had to be addressed. Good to see Pocket Tunes is on their game though with an immediate fix. For those that don't know it, you can go into pocket tunes menu in setting and do a forced channel update. This may help those of you with Sirius.

According to Pocket Tunes this fix was done the same day Sirius XM did this, but of course no one knew that it required a channel update to fix it. So, it should now be working on both networks!

18. IdRatherBeSkiing

I don't really care the source. I have an XM account and a Sirius one. I am on the Sirius side since my SL2 connects to Sirius. I believe eventually they will switch to one side or the other. I agree it would make most sense to keep the XM side (although this may be the #1 reason they would do the opposite). I do not believe this will happen before at least 5 and most likely 10 years from now. They really can't afford to lose 1/2 their subscriber base or buy 1/2 their subscribers new radios. Such a move needs to be planned out and so far I see no such indications (OEM radios would all be XM or all Sirius in new cars would be the first step).

I believe, given enough months, that Sirius XM will correct the issues they have caused. Which domain the stream comes from doesn't matter as long as existing supported apps and radios work. I do think they need to do a full channel re-alignment in order to properly combine their internet streams. Channel 49 cannot be channel 15. But again, this implies some rational thought being applied to the process which does not always happen at Sirius XM.

19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I think the whole system includes sat need a channel realignment! However, I suspect like always they will do what they usually do... NOTHING!

I don't foresee them combining the spectrum for a long while, but you don't put a plan into motion weeks before, you start now. You slowly migrate new subscribers and those that eventually replace their equipment to move to the side you plan to keep. I think its already unfolding, but the fact is the big change wont' happen for a very long time because of their legal obligation to the FCC in their ruling to approve the merger.

Also it really isn't in the best interest to bust a sudden move like this, right now they want to milk all the money out of subscribers that they can via the BOS fees.

20. Wayne Edwards

Wayne Edwards Active Member

Replay AV now working after you download the new version (free if you have the old one).
    Download Replay AV