\SIRIUS FM-5 Satellite has Been Placed Into Service

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008
SIRIUS FM-5, the newest addition to the SIRIUS XM satellite fleet, was recently placed into service on the SIRIUS network. The new satellite, which was manufactured by Space Systems/Loral, provides improved signal penetration and reception to millions of SIRIUS subscribers nationwide.

FM-5 is now fully operational and broadcasting SIRIUS XM programming and data services to SIRIUS radios in North America. The satellite launched June 30, was guided to its final orbit position, and has successfully completed all post-launch testing.

SIRIUS FM-5 is one of the world’s most powerful communications satellites and is the first geostationary SIRIUS satellite, complementing the SIRIUS fleet of three non-geostationary satellites. SIRIUS FM-5’s addition to the current SIRIUS fleet significantly increases the broadcast power of the total SIRIUS network. SIRIUS FM-5 is designed to provide more focused power in areas of peak population, such as metropolitan areas on the east and west coast, as well as significantly improving reception when driving under heavy foliage. Its location in a geostationary orbit position over North America (approximately above Texas, at 96 degrees west longitude) assures that home receivers can aim at a fixed point in the southern sky to receive a signal on a constant basis.

“For our SIRIUS subscribers, FM-5 brings significantly improved performance to their cars as well as their homes and offices, or wherever they use their SIRIUS radios,” said Terry Smith, Chief Engineering Officer of SIRIUS XM Radio. “We expect FM-5 to provide exceptional service for many years to come, while improving the overall performance, reliability and longevity of our satellite fleet. We congratulate our engineering team on a successful launch and implementation.”

The satellite was launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan aboard an International Launch Services (ILS) Proton.

---
View the original Article at SiriusXM News or discuss it here.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Here is a map of the satellite's footprint:

sirius5.png

(The little red satellite icon at the bottom of the map is the location of RadioSat-5)

... and here is a map of the geosynchronous fleet (RadioSat-1, 2, and 3)

sirius-xm-orbital-animations.gif

It appears to be parked near the XM-1 satellite... Perhaps the new Sirius satellite is to be it's replacement when it's time to decommission XM-1?

Last edited:

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
It might be but I don't think it was planned that way. This sat has been talked about long before any merger talk.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Okay, so the question is... are you Sirius subscribers noticing any real difference in reception?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Here is a map of the satellite's footprint:

sirius5.png

(The little red satellite icon at the bottom of the map is the location of RadioSat-5)

... and here is a map of the geosynchronous fleet (RadioSat-1, 2, and 3)

sirius-xm-orbital-animations.gif

It appears to be parked near the XM-1 satellite... Perhaps the new Sirius satellite is to be it's replacement when it's time to decommission XM-1?

I swear that sirius-2 and the sun are going to collide one of these days. . . .

Also, I've only seen a slight improvement in strength, but I rarely had any reception problems here in the flattest place in north America. The signal cuts through the corn fields easily.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
It might be but I don't think it was planned that way. This sat has been talked about long before any merger talk.

It wasn't planned that way, but it could be the plan now (it makes no sense to maintain two separate satellite systems post-merger), and it appears that they're focusing on the SIRIUS system of satellites.

Radiosat-6 will launch next year bringing the total to 3 geosynchronous and 2 geostationary satellites on the SIRIUS system (XM only has 2 geostationary birds in operation [XM-1 and XM-2 as shown on the second map]).

By the time that SIRIUS' Radiosat-6 launches, the two XM satellites will have about 5 years left before they need to be decommissioned.

Who knows? I'm just speculating. That's how I would run things if I were managing the birds. :icon_wink:

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
WOW! They have another bird going up? Yep, this looks like it's exactly what's going to happen. They could get everyone moved to the sirius side of things in 5 years I'm sure.

Coverage would be the most solid of all sat services I'm sure.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
How can it suck "more"? They added a satellite, they didn't take one down.

I believe 'indifferent' is the word you're looking for.

I don't believe they didn't take one down. I have long gaps of "Aquiring Signal" where I had good reception before.

Nov 9, 2008
nj
Nj dead!

No Sattelite signal AT ALL @7- 9:44PM Saturday ,I have a repeater nearby but I dont even want to see what wil lhappen if I go in the car....
Sirius Stiletto 2 that was working perfect UNTIL this new sattelite rolled out.
This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

kc1ih

Oct 16, 2008
Hudson, Florida
Is it possible that the new and the old satellite signals are interfering with each other? If they are both using the same frequency range that could create areas of phase cancellation.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No Sattelite signal AT ALL @7- 9:44PM Saturday ,I have a repeater nearby but I dont even want to see what wil lhappen if I go in the car....
Sirius Stiletto 2 that was working perfect UNTIL this new sattelite rolled out.
This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I know how it feels. Do you have WiFi? Having an SL2 has been useful when the signal is gone.

Is it possible that the new and the old satellite signals are interfering with each other? If they are both using the same frequency range that could create areas of phase cancellation.

More likely that there is only 1 rather than 2 of the older sats working.