Sirius Starmate 8

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
Sirius Starmate 8 Appears – Latest Sirius Branded Radio - SiriusBuzz

The third new radio released by Sirius XM has made its appearance. The Sirius Satrmate 8 apperas to be a Sirius branded XM Onyx with a few bells and whistles. It is unclear whether or not the Starmate 8 will be capable of receiving the new channels offered by Sirius XM, but it is the first Sirius branded receiver released by the company in some time.

Product Features Include
•Pause, rewind and replay up to 30 minutes of live satellite radio.
•View artist name, song title, and channel information on the large color display.
•Listen at home, at the office, outdoors or in multiple vehicles with optional accessory kits – all with just one subscription.
•Hear SiriusXM through your existing vehicle radio with easy, do-it-yourself installation.*
•Browse other channels while listening to the current one.
•Store up to 10 of your favorite channels for one-touch access.
•Choose from six different display colors to match your dash lights, and personalize with the trim rings.
•Lock and unlock channels with mature content using easy-to-use parental control.
•Optimize PowerConnect performance with easy FM tuning.
•One-Touch Jump to traffic and weather for the city of your choice, or back to your previous channel.
•Includes PowerConnect Vehicle Kit.
•Supports A La Carte programming selection.
•Works on the Sirius network.
•*Requires an FM radio or Aux In capability. Use the included Aux In cable if your vehicle has Aux In capability for best performance. Will also work with cassette adapter (sold separately)

The pause, rewind, a-la-carte, and some new labels appear vto be the distinct characteristics that make the Starmate 8 a disnctly different radio than the XM Onyx. While rumors of the Starmate 8 have been around for a few months now, it has not really been a confirmed. Best Buy lists the Starmate 8 for $139 including a vehicle kit.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
Yep, that's an Onyx.

Thought they'd be doing away with the Sirius (or XM) logos on the new radios and be using the SiriusXM logo. Also, it's a shame they took away the elongated style of the Starmate.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yep, that's an Onyx.

Thought they'd be doing away with the Sirius (or XM) logos on the new radios and be using the SiriusXM logo. Also, it's a shame they took away the elongated style of the Starmate.
I was surprised to see a Sirius only box.

I guess that's a another sign that they probably aren't abandoning the Sirius only broadcasting for some time.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Good price. Was a new subscription required to get it for $29? Sometimes they do that. I also thought that there was a next generation of the Starmates in the works, so they may be clearing stock if that rumor is true.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Good price. Was a new subscription required to get it for $29? Sometimes they do that. I also thought that there was a next generation of the Starmates in the works, so they may be clearing stock if that rumor is true.
Yes the price is on the condition of a new subscription. It looks like a nice radio and all but I still have my Edge radio in great condition. I was thinking more of how their use to be the discussions on the possibility that the Sirius platform radios would no longer be, by 2015, in favor of the XM platform radios.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've kind of lost track of the schedule of the transition. I know they aren't just going to throw the switch off on the Sirius side of the satellites for several years. They will stop making new Sirius units at some point. New radios will run on the XM side, and at some point everything should end up being branded as SiriusXM. But again, I lost track of the schedule on that.