Sirius vs XM -- Differences Table

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
You don't have to be a jackass about it.

I went ahead and removed the table per your request.

Thanks. You're right, my response was unduly harsh. No excuses.

Updated differences table expected later today.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Being a bit territorial are we?

Protective. Not territorial. There's a thought process behind every change, to keep the listing more-or-less authoritative. And I always replace the betas with a link to the final updated edition at first post. So there are no outdated or demo versions cluttering a sticky thread. Sample change proposals should be identified as such, not mocked up to look like the real thing. Design is a marker for credibility.

But, as h3 said, there's no need to be a jackass about it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
h3x send an PM to MM and he can change your username for you. Only admins can do that.

In regards to the list, we all appreciate the job that you do JJS! Protective/Territorial its all about the same, you don't want anyone else messing with what you've started. It is understandable!

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Last edited:

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I think that the difference table should take into account the Internet feed. Maybe adding a symbol for "internet only" would be the right approach (similar to the "$" symbol).

Sirius subscibers do now get Cinemagic & many other channels on the internet feed (but not through satellite).

What do you think?

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
I think that the difference table should take into account the Internet feed. Maybe adding a symbol for "internet only" would be the right approach (similar to the "$" symbol).

Sirius subscibers do now get Cinemagic & many other channels on the internet feed (but not through satellite).

What do you think?

Excellent. Hexagram had a similar idea and I was a little slow on the uptake, but from here it makes perfect sense. I'll get to it this weekend.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
=========================================================
Sports Play-by-Play US (excluding Best-of)
MLB - Y
European Soccer Leagues Y -
College Football/Basketball games by: School Conf
=========================================================

Sirius soccer talk and PbP is on channel 125.
However, with the BOS package, I believe you can get that on XM channel 102 or 103.

According to what i'm reading, Boneyard (according to the chart) is not available on Sirius. In reality, it is Sirius channel 19, available both online and through the Sirius satellites.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
On my SL2 (Internet), I see C-Span. Have a look at:
SIRIUS Satellite Radio - Sirius Satellite Radio Channel Guide, Sirius Radio Channel Guide, Sirius Radio Station Guide

The more confusing thing is that for Canadians, there are some channels we don't get and some others we get. It weird. For example, CBC 1 is available online (even though it isn't for US subscribers). Also, the new SIR-10+ channels are available through SL2, but not through the sirius.ca online widget. Go figure... No, you should't try to fit this into your table. :)

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Sur La Route, The Verge and Air Musique are not available on Premium XM Radio Online. At least, not in the U.S.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
There's no XM channel called Christian Talk. You're probably thinking of Family Talk.

Also, XM just debuted a new channel: XM Radio : Bollywood and Beyond . It's in the More Music category.

Thanks for the heads-up. Yep, Family Talk it is; I picked up the description from the Channel Guide, rather than the name.

Update pending, the first since 5/09...and the only programming change is from Clear Channel.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Sirius has English soccer PbP and soccer talk on channel 125.
XM has baseball, and they're working on getting it on Sirius. Apparently there's language in MLB's XM contract that says "only XM satellites" which was intended to keep it off the online service. Hopefully by the spring, they'll have this fixed.

I think these are the only huge differences. I think most everything is available on "one system with best of other guy's."

What's left to merge:
1) Get the talk/news channels all on the same channel numbers.
2) Do the above to the music...We already have the same music basically.
3) Get everything on the same satellites/repeater system. I should be able to buy a portable radio which can work off either set of repeaters/satellites.

For me, number 3 is the big one. Get that accomplished and the technical side of the merger is mostly finalized.

Over a year later, and it's interesting how things have changed.

MLB games still aren't available on Sirius, and may never be, the way they pumped out XM radios recently, such as the SkyDock.

The channels still don't match up.

Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for the heads-up. Yep, Family Talk it is; I picked up the description from the Channel Guide, rather than the name.

Update pending, the first since 5/09...and the only programming change is from Clear Channel.

Other points.
- Family Talk now streams online, and this includes SIR on channel 821.
- You have MLB Home Plate listed as MLB Talk, and blank for XM. Not sure why. It should be a Y. (just noticed it says MLB Talk in the Sirius guide. Kinda dumb of them. It's MLB Home Plate on both sides)
- Canadian produced channels that stream online now only stream to Canadian subscribers.
- The Bob Edwards 24/7 online channel is now an online stream of XM Public Radio.