Sirius vs XM -- Differences Table

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
What is "SIRIUS XM Stars Too"? I don't see it on SIRIUS' lineup...

EDIT: found it on the PDF (ch. 108)...but no page or mention of it on the website...hmm...what's on this channel??

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
What is "SIRIUS XM Stars Too"? I don't see it on SIRIUS' lineup...

EDIT: found it on the PDF (ch. 108)...but no page or mention of it on the website...hmm...what's on this channel??

Right now, Covino and Rich. So it's partly a successor to Maxim, blended with misc talk.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I wish they had never started the canadian service and this would be so much eaiser. No offense to you Canadians. But right now this is a big issue for them merging the spectrum which they clearly plan to do. The time frame given was up to 10 years, but that doesn't mean they can't start moving in that direction much sooner. I think if one side or the other dominates and from where I am sitting looks like the XM side is going to dominate. I can't tell you how many folks I know who have added the best of Sirius to their XM radios and canceled Sirius in the last 2 days.

Great list that tells the whole story!

I am sure if they had thoughts of merging they would have done just one service in Canada. Unfortunalty neither XM Canada or Sirius Canada feel they need to merge to survive. Until that changes ... don't expect any changes on that front.

On a personal note, I for one am glad they did start up the Canadian service as it got me in the door. I would not have gone grey first and would probably be still suffering with FM radio.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am sure if they had thoughts of merging they would have done just one service in Canada. Unfortunalty neither XM Canada or Sirius Canada feel they need to merge to survive. Until that changes ... don't expect any changes on that front.

On a personal note, I for one am glad they did start up the Canadian service as it got me in the door. I would not have gone grey first and would probably be still suffering with FM radio.

You bring up a good point and I honestly doubt they would be allowed to merge in Canada anyway even if they wanted too. Both had to jump through hoops to get the service going there.

Well I am glad you are aboard for sure, so if getting the service there did that I can't knock it! ;)

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

mch

Nov 11, 2008
Las Vegas
At the risk of starting an argument, I think the real difference is sound quality. Any dual subs who took the time before cancelling give both a listen and come to a conclusion on that?

I've never heard any comparisons on SQ lately, just that it's universally not what it used to be.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I always sort of went back and fourth with the SQ thing. Seems there were days when one would sound better than the other. But in all honesty I've always thought that XM had the edge SQ wise. Tell you were I mainly notice this though. When I got my Scion xB with the dealer installed XM factory radio. Then I disconnected it and hooked up a replacement OEM tuner and BAM the difference we very noticable to me. My son kept saying we've got to have something hooked up wrong. I was like I don't know, we messed around with it. I finally found out there was a sitting to turn the volume up on the Sirius Connect tuner and that helped a great deal, but it was just sort of flat by comparison.

Now I know you didn't ask for this comparison, but Slacker kicks both their butts in a major way!

mch

Nov 11, 2008
Las Vegas
Heh. I'm sure either would sound much better to me now that I replaced my factory head unit for one with an AUX input!

Rreini

Nov 7, 2008
Westland, MI
www.rreini.org
Common channels that really aren't?

Good compilation of the differences. Here's something that I think should be noted: there are channels that are common to both services yet are not programmed identically.

I have in mind the BBC World Service and Radio Classics channels. Maybe they could be highlighted as footnotes at the bottom of the table, which would describe how they differ.

edalen

Oct 14, 2008
www.ericdalen.com
At the risk of starting an argument, I think the real difference is sound quality. Any dual subs who took the time before cancelling give both a listen and come to a conclusion on that?

I've never heard any comparisons on SQ lately, just that it's universally not what it used to be.

I find XM to have generally better SQ on the music channels, Sirius sounds better on the talk stations. XM's talk stations just sound like slush, but I could EQ the music channels to sound pretty decent. I couldn't EQ the Sirius channels to the same level as XM, so I ended up listening to Sirius for talk (except for Underground Garage), XM for music (except for POTUS). Sirius' music SQ is "okay" but when I put both Sirius and XM on the same channel and do an A/B switch, the difference is noticeable.

Now that the music channels are basically the same -- and the news/talk/sports channels will probably follow suit -- I don't see the point of subscribing to both XM and Sirius. I decided on XM because of the music SQ and the better reception.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Good compilation of the differences. Here's something that I think should be noted: there are channels that are common to both services yet are not programmed identically.

I have in mind the BBC World Service and Radio Classics channels. Maybe they could be highlighted as footnotes at the bottom of the table, which would describe how they differ.

Thanks, Rreini. Didn't even know these channels were still running different schedules. XM's PDF schedule now refers to BBC World Service News, a channel distinct from BBCWS. But they're still running the latter. Doubts about how long S-XM will keep dueling Radio Classics, but apparently they still do.

I've added them in mid-table, and, as with college sports, attempted to identify a distinction between the channels concisely in column. Sirius's Radio Classics runs the same series at the same time seven days a week. On XM, OTR fans check Greg Bell's weekly schedule, or, more likely, just enjoy whatever's on.

Thanks again for an excellent suggestion. :)

Last edited:

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
I'd like to update the list to note that Sirius will have 4 Holiday channels, XM will have five, with the extra being Holiday Traditions. Unfortunately, I'm locked out of the first post on this thread, where the list is.

I have a private message out to DAB, but if any mod can unlock the first post for author editing, it'd be appreciated.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't think a single post can be setup for editing without enabling global editing for everyone with no time limit. I've sent your request to MM to see if he knows of a way. I am not an admin, so I have no power to do such things.

I can edit the post for you if you want to PM me what you want changed.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
I don't think a single post can be setup for editing without enabling global editing for everyone with no time limit. I've sent your request to MM to see if he knows of a way. I am not an admin, so I have no power to do such things.

Looks like he found a way; I was able to edit the page tonight. Thanks DAB (and MM).

:)

TVGenius

Nov 10, 2008
Yuma, AZ
Nice chart. Funny that there is so little difference at all. Strange that they just couldn't wrap it all up and merge everything.

Well, there were those rumors that there was another Nov. 12th coming, this time for all the talk channels. Surely the traffic/wx channels will be merged soon, and I'm sure most of the rest will change. Probably leave just the 'BEST OF' channels as exclusive to keep you subbed to the extra package.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
This table displays only the differences between Sirius's and XM's channel choices. For new customers choosing between the services, or for dual-subs deciding whether their second service is still worth it, these channels are the ones you'll be trading off.

Your insights can improve the accuracy of this report; please reply in this thread if you see something I've missed.
----------
PHP:
Sirius and XM Channel Differences -- 11/18/08
Channel                               Sirius      XM
=========================================================
   Best of Sirius on XM
Howard Stern 100-101                    Y          $ 
Martha Stewart                          Y          $
Playboy                                 Y          $
Nascar                                  Y          $
NFL PBP                                 Y          $
   Best of XM on Sirius  
Oprah & Friends                         $          Y
The Virus                               $          Y
XMPR                                    $          Y
College Sports Confs PBP                $          Y
Indycar Series                          $          Y
NBA PBP                                 $          Y
NHL Home Ice                            $          Y
PGA Tour Network                        $          Y
 [/SIZE]
----------[/quote]

You should probably add MLB HOMEPLATE to the [B]Best of XM on Sirius [/B]package.  It is now on SIRIUS 210.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
You should probably add MLB HOMEPLATE to the Best of XM on Sirius package. It is now on SIRIUS 210.

Thanks goreds2. Since it requires moderator dispensation to unlock the table for an update, I'd better wait for an official announcement, so as to be sure this is a permanent change.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
When I called up SIRIUS to get the Best of XM add-on to my lifetime sub last night, the CS rep said that I took advantage of the offer at the right time because MLB is coming. But then again, you can only take their word with a grain of salt when it comes to "rumors".

210-220 is still listed as "XM Play-by-Play" channels on the Sirius website.

I haven't had the chance to tune into 210, so I can't confirm MLB Home Plate. As soon as I get off work, I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

Last edited:

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I just got home from work and can confirm that 210 is broadcasting MLB Home Plate.

They were playing MLB Live Weekend show.